Spine Specialist Near Me in Shrewsbury, MO
Spine specialist near me in Shrewsbury, MO. Spinal conditions can make everyday tasks like walking up the stairs difficult, and disturb how our bodies function. For physically active people, back injuries can prevent you from being at the top of their game. For breadwinners, it can obstruct your ability to put food on the table for your Shrewsbury, MO loved ones. For others, it can prevent us from taking the dog for a walk or other physical activities. Physical therapists with a spine specialty can help return to the functional and pain-free life you’re seeking. By creating a custom treatment plan, based on techniques proven to work, Axes Physical Therapy can help you live your best life. If you’re prepared to finally be free from the issues holding you back, schedule an evaluation with an Axes Shrewsbury, MO spine specialist, or call the Axes location most convenient for you.
Pursuant to Missouri law, a doctor needs to prescribe physical therapy. If you’re dealing with a recent injury or living with chronic pain, ask your doctor if physical therapy with a spine specialist in Shrewsbury, MO is right for you. You can also visit one of our locations for one of Axes’ no-obligation injury screenings.
The Human Spine
The spine is our central support structure, and plays a fundamental role in most movements and how the body communicates with itself. It starts at the base of your skull and ends at your pelvis. The spine is made up of:
There are 33 vertebrae stacked along the spine, which are small bones that form the backbone. The spinal cord and nerves run through holes in the middle of each vertebra. There are five vertebral regions. There are:
- 7 vertebrae in the cervical region (your neck)
- 12 vertebrae in the thoracic region (your middle back)
- 5 vertebrae in the lumbar region (your lower back)
- 5 vertebrae in the sacrum region (the triangle shaped bone that connects to the hips)
- 4 vertebrae in the coccyx region (your tailbone)
The 24 vertebrae in the cervical, thoracic, and lumbar regions provide mobility; the others are fused into place.
Facet joints are the small joints that connect the bony tips of vertebrae on the back of the spine. They allow your back and neck to perform a variety of movements. Between the joints and bones are cartilage and synovial fluid, allowing healthy bones and joints to safely glide and slide during movement.
Discs are the flat, round cushions between the vertebrae that absorb the stress and shock the body incurs when moving. There is one disc between each vertebra. Discs have a “gel-like” center known as the nucleus pulposus, which allows for mobility and absorption, and an outer ring of tough fibers called the annulus fibrosus that prevent the nucleus pulposus from leaking out.
The spinal cord is made up of of nerves running up the bones in your spine, from your brain to your tailbone, where the nerves go into the lower part of your body. The spinal cord is protected by the vertebral column. The neural foramen are openings in the vertebrae that allow the nerves to go into other parts of the body. The spinal cord allows our brain to tell our bodies to move, and our brains to receive sensory information from our body.
The spine also has muscles, ligaments, and tendons. Ligaments attach vertebrae, hold them together, and give them structure. Tendons attach muscles to the vertebrae, and the muscles are what powers the spine’s movement.
A well-functioning spine needs all of these systems to to work together to achieve optimal movement health and a pain free life. A variety of factors can interfere with the spine and greatly limit your ability to enjoy the things you love doing. If you’re living with back pain or spine issues, a spine specialist in Shrewsbury, MO like Axes’ physical therapists can get you back to doing what you love most.
What Injuries Can a Spine Specialist in Shrewsbury, MO Treat Me For?
The American College of Physicians recommends a variety of physical therapy treatments for lower back pain and neck pain. Whether you’re dealing with pain on a everyday basis or recently sustained a sports injury, Axes’ Shrewsbury, MO spine specialists can help get you feeling great again. Some of the common conditions we treat in Shrewsbury, MO include:
- Disc Injuries — Herniated discs and bulging discs can be the result of either an injury or wear and tear from aging. They put pressure on a nerve which can cause severe pain along your neck and back and limit strength. Degenerative disc disease occurs as the cushioning in your spine wears away, and greatly decreases flexibility.
- Sciatica — Sciatica is an umbrella term for irritation of the sciatic nerve, which is the largest nerve in the body and originates in the lower spine. Symptoms include debilitating pain, weakness, and tingling through your buttock and leg.
- Spinal Stenosis — Stenosis occurs when the vertebral column is too small. Symptoms include pain, balance issues, and loss of sensation in your hands or feet.
- Spinal Arthritis — Arthritis is the inflammation of the facet joints. It onsets as the cartilage between the joints degrades over time or from repeated trauma. It can also be caused by autoimmune disorders. There are over 100 types of arthritis, most of which are possible in the spine.
- Axial Back Pain — Also called nonspecific back pain, this refers to pain that doesn’t have a clear, diagnosable cause. Common causes are obesity or poor posture.
Physical therapy can also help with muscle strains, whiplash, and other more acute injuries.
Whatever is causing your back pain or injury, our Shrewsbury, MO spine specialists will form a team with you and your physician to design an evidence-backed treatment plan to get you back to the things you love doing most and a more comfortable life. While some conditions, like stenosis, won’t ever fully go away, physical therapy is an effective part of a comprehensive wellness routine that eases symptoms and achieves optimal mobility.
If what’s ailing you requires surgery, we can work with you in your pre- and post-surgical rehab in Shrewsbury, MO to help get the best results possible.
Benefits of Working With a Physical Therapy Spine Specialist in Shrewsbury, MO
Physical therapy is becoming an increasingly popular non-invasive treatment plan for a variety of musculoskeletal conditions. According to a study published By the American College of Physicians, physical therapy is just as effective as surgery for certain types of back pain, and doesn’t involve the same recovery time or risk of adverse side-effects. Early intervention by a licensed Shrewsbury, MO physical therapist has been demonstrated to limit long-term opioid dependence.
A spine specialist like those at Axes Physical Therapy will be able to determine what is causing your pain or other issues, and create a treatment plan based on your medical history, how old you are, and your desired activity level. Through numerous different exercises and manual therapy, physical therapy can limit symptoms, help your spine and nervous system function better, enhance range of motion.
Physical Therapy for Spine Conditions
Depending on your specific condition, your Shrewsbury, MO spine specialist at Axes may include some of the following in your treatment plan:
- Manual Therapy — Our Shrewsbury, MO manual therapists are experts at using light pressures and stretches to decrease back pain due to spinal issues. Hand-on services we may include in your treatment plan include:
- Guided Exercise — Safe exercises are essential for helping you build up strength, flexibility, and balance. In addition to limiting pain now, guided exercise will also help overall function and improve movement health. Effective exercises for spine conditions include:
- Core stabilization
- Postural retraining
- Cardio conditioning
- Strength training
- Home exercise
- Injury Prevention — There’s nothing worse than believing you’ve overcome an injury, only to aggravate it. We’ll educate you about your injury and how it affects your body’s function, so you’ll know how to stay healthy in the future. Injury prevention includes:
- Patient education
- Lifting education
- Activity modification
Your treatment plan in Shrewsbury, MO will be based not on just recovery or pain relief, but on getting you to optimal movement health and helping you stay there. Whatever your treatment plan includes, it will be based on peer-reviewed studies that those techniques have been proven to work.
Other conditions we help treat in Shrewsbury, MO include:
- Beginner Running Program
- Chronic Pain Treatment
- MCL Injury
- Shoulder Pain
- Injury Prevention
- Knee Injury
- Joint Pain
Count on Axes For Your Spine Specialist Near Me in Shrewsbury, MO
Don’t allow a spine condition prevent you from living the life you want. At Axes, our Shrewsbury, MO spine specialists are dedicated to positive patient outcomes. You didn’t decide to live with this condition, but you do not have to decide to live with it. For a licensed and knowledgeable Shrewsbury, MO spine specialist to help you, request an appointment with Axes Physical Therapy today or reach out to the location closest to you