Spine Specialist Near Me in Lemay, MO
Spine specialist near me in Lemay, MO. Lower back issues can make basic activities like bending over excruciating, and interrupt how our bodies function. For people who play sports, back problems can prevent you from being at the top of their game. For workers, it can prevent you from putting food on the table for your Lemay, MO loved ones. For others, it can prevent us from going on bike ride or other physical activities. Physical therapists with a spine specialty can help you get back to what you love doing most. Through safe and proven exercises and treatment plans, Axes Physical Therapy can help you achieve the lifestyle you desire. If you’re prepared to at long last be free from debilitating back pain, schedule an evaluation with an Axes Lemay, MO spine specialist, or reach out to the Axes location nearest you.
According to Missouri law, a doctor needs to prescribe physical therapy. If you’re dealing with a recent injury or living with chronic pain, consult with your physician about if physical therapy with a spine specialist in Lemay, MO is what you need. You can also take advantage of one of Axes’ no-obligation injury screenings.
The Human Spine
The spine supports both our physical bodies, and how our bodies communicate. It extends from the base of your brain to your pelvis. The spine consists of:
The spine has 33 vertebrae, which are small bones that form the backbone. Every vertebra has a hole in the center to safeguard the spinal cord and its nerves. The vertebrae are grouped into five regions. There are:
- 7 vertebrae in the cervical region (your neck)
- 12 vertebrae in the thoracic region (your middle back)
- 5 vertebrae in the lumbar region (your lower back)
- 5 vertebrae in the sacrum region (the triangle shaped bone that connects to the hips)
- 4 vertebrae in the coccyx region (your tailbone)
The 24 vertebrae in the cervical, thoracic, and lumbar regions provide mobility; the others are immobile.
Facet joints connect the vertebrae. They allow your back and neck to perform a variety of movements. They are lined with cartilage and lubricated with synovial fluid, allowing the bones to move safely.
Discs are the flat, round cushions between the vertebrae that act as shock absorbers. Every two vertebrae have one disc between them. Discs have a “gel-like” middle called the nucleus pulposus, which allows for mobility and absorption, and a tough, circular exterior known as the annulus fibrosus that protect the disc and connect the vertebrae.
The spinal cord is a long, thin, tubular collection of nerves, from your brain to your pelvis, where the nerves go into the lower part of your body. The spinal cord is protected by the vertebral column. The neural foramen are openings in the vertebrae where the nerves to go into other parts of the body. The spinal cord is how our bodies and brains communicate.
The spine also has various types of soft tissue. Ligaments attach vertebrae and holds them in the correct structure. Muscles are connected to bones by tendons, and power their movement.
Achieving the lifestyle we want depends on all of these parts working together and functioning properly. Numerous different factors can make the spine damaged or unhealthy, which can keep you from the things you love doing. If you’re living with back pain or spine issues, a spine specialist in Lemay, MO like Axes’ physical therapists can provide safe and effective relief.
What Injuries Can a Spine Specialist in Lemay, MO Help With?
The American College of Physicians recommends a variety of physical therapy treatments for lower back pain and neck pain. Whether you’re dealing with pain on a everyday basis or recently suffered a work injury, Axes’ Lemay, MO spine specialists can help get you feeling great again. Some of the common conditions we treat in Lemay, MO are:
- Disc Injuries — Herniated discs and bulging discs can be due to either an injury or general degradation from aging. They can impinge on a nerve which can be painful and limit mobility. Degenerative disc disease occurs as a natural result of aging, and greatly decreases flexibility.
- Sciatica — Sciatica refers to a variety of conditions which irritate the sciatic nerve, which is the largest nerve in the body and originates near your tailbone. It can lead to immense pain, weakness, and tingling down one side of your body.
- Spinal Stenosis — Stenosis occurs when the spinal cavity becomes too narrow and puts pressure on the spinal cord and nerves. It can cause pain, balance issues, and loss of sensation in the extremities.
- Spinal Arthritis — Arthritis describes several different types of joint disease. It occurs as the cartilage between the joints degrades over time or from overuse. Obesity, autoimmune disorders, and other conditions can also lead to arthritis. The term “arthritis” describes over a hundred conditions, most of which are possible in the spine.
- Axial Back Pain — Also called nonspecific back pain, this refers to pain that doesn’t have a clear, diagnosable cause. Common causes are obesity or poor posture.
Physical therapy can also help with muscle strains, whiplash, and other more acute injuries.
Whatever condition is currently ailing you, our Lemay, MO spine specialists will form a team with you and your doctor to develop an evidence-backed treatment plan to get you back to the activities you love and a more comfortable life. While some conditions, like arthritis, won’t ever fully go away, physical therapy is an effective part of a holistic wellness routine that eases symptoms and achieves optimal mobility.
If your spine condition requires surgery, we can work with you in your pre- and post-surgical rehab in Lemay, MO to help you be healthy for surgery and recovery quickly and safely.
What a Physical Therapy Spine Specialist Can Do For You in Lemay, MO
Physical therapy is becoming an increasingly popular non-surgical option for a variety of issues affecting our musculoskeletal system. According to a study published By the American College of Physicians, physical therapy is just as effective as surgery for certain types of back pain, and doesn’t involve the same risk of complications. Early intervention by a licensed Lemay, MO physical therapist has been demonstrated to limit long-term opioid dependence.
A spine specialist like those at Axes Physical Therapy will be able to find the root cause of your back problems, and build a treatment plan based on your medical history, your age, and the lifestyle you wish to achieve or get back to. Through numerous different exercises and manual manipulations, physical therapy can limit symptoms, improve the function of your spine by increasing strength and flexibility, enhance flexibility.
Physical Therapy for Spine Conditions
Depending on your specific condition, your Lemay, MO spine specialist at Axes may implement some of the following practices to help get you back to the activities you love:
- Hands-On Care — Our Lemay, MO manual therapists are experts at using subtle pressures and stretches to alleviate symptoms and improve function due to spinal issues. Hand-on services we may use to help you include:
- Guided Exercise — Safe exercises are essential for getting your soft tissue, joints, and bones stronger and more flexible. Beyond decreasing symptoms now, certain exercises will allow you to maintain a healthy spine while going to work or doing the activities you love most. Exercises we might assign include:
- Core stabilization
- Postural retraining
- Cardio conditioning
- Strength training
- Home exercise
- Injury Prevention — It’s incredibly frustrating to believe you’re moving on from an injury, only to suffer another injury in the future. We help you understand the musculoskeletal system and how yours is being affected, so you’ll know how to protect your spine while being active. Our injury prevention program includes:
- Patient education
- Lifting education
- Activity modification
Your treatment plan in Lemay, MO will be based not on just recovery or pain relief, but on getting you to your best possible function and helping you stay there. However we recommend treating your spine condition or back pain, it will designed based on peer-reviewed studies that those techniques have been proven to work.
Other conditions we help treat in Lemay, MO include:
- Beginner Running Program
- Chronic Pain Treatment
- MCL Injury
- Shoulder Pain
- Injury Prevention
- Knee Injury
- Joint Pain
Count on Axes For Your Spine Specialist Near Me in Lemay, MO
Don’t let a spine condition prevent you from the activities you love. At Axes, our Lemay, MO spine specialists are dedicated to positive patient outcomes. Your pain may not have been your choice, but you can choose to do something about it. For a professional and experienced Lemay, MO spine specialist to help you, schedule an appointment with Axes Physical Therapy today or find the location closest to you