Spine Specialist Near Me in Pinckney, MO
Spine specialist near me in Pinckney, MO. Lower back pain can make normal activities like walking up the stairs excruciating, and keep us from our best possible movement health. For physically active people, back problems can keep you from being at the top of their game. For workers, it can prevent you from providing for your Pinckney, MO family. For others, it can prevent us from going on bike ride or playing with our grandkids as we’d like to. Physical therapists with a spine specialty can help return to the functional and pain-free life you’re looking for. By creating a personalized treatment plan, based on techniques proven to work, Axes Physical Therapy can help you live your best life. If you’re ready to at long last move on from a crippling back condition, schedule an evaluation with an Axes Pinckney, MO spine specialist, or get in touch with the Axes location nearest you.
Pursuant to Missouri law, a doctor needs to prescribe physical therapy. If you’re recovering from a back or neck injury, or are find that back pain is keeping you from the activities you love, consult with your physician about if physical therapy with a spine specialist in Pinckney, MO can be safe and effective for you. In the meantime, visit one of our offices for one of our free injury screenings.
The Anatomy of the Spine
The spine is our central support structure, and allows our brain and body to coordinate with each other. It starts at the base of your skull and ends at your tailbone. The spine is made up of:
There are 33 vertebrae stacked along the spine, which are small bones that stack on top of each other to form the spinal canal. Every vertebra has a hole in the center to protect the spinal cord and its nerves. There are five vertebral regions. There are:
- 7 vertebrae in the cervical region (your neck)
- 12 vertebrae in the thoracic region (your middle back)
- 5 vertebrae in the lumbar region (your lower back)
- 5 vertebrae in the sacrum region (the triangle shaped bone that connects to the hips)
- 4 vertebrae in the coccyx region (your tailbone)
The 24 vertebrae in the first 3 regions allow us to move; the others are immobile.
Discs are the circular cushions between the vertebrae that absorb the stress and shock the body is put under when moving. Every two vertebrae have one disc between them. Discs have a “gel-like” center known as the nucleus pulposus, which allows for mobility and absorption, and a tough, circular exterior called the annulus fibrosus that protect the disc and connect the vertebrae.
The spinal cord is made up of of nerves that travel through the vertebrae, extending from the brain to your lumbar region, where the nerves go into the lower part of your body. The spinal cord is protected by the vertebral column. The neural foramen are openings in the vertebrae where the nerves to go into other parts of the body. The spinal cord is how our bodies and brains communicate.
Surrounding and within the spine are also muscles, ligaments, and tendons. Ligaments attach vertebrae and holds them in the correct structure. Muscles are attached to bones by tendons, and power their movement.
A well-functioning spine needs all of these systems to to work together to achieve optimal movement health and a pain free life. Numerous different conditions can make the spine damaged or unhealthy, which can keep you from the things you love doing. If you’re living with back pain or spine issues, a spine specialist in Pinckney, MO like Axes’ physical therapists can get you back to doing what you love most.
What Injuries Can a Spine Specialist in Pinckney, MO Treat Me For?
The American College of Physicians developed guidelines that include numerous physical therapy treatments for people living with lower back pain and neck pain. Whether you’re living with chronic pain or recently suffered a work injury, Axes’ Pinckney, MO spine specialists can help you live your best life. Some of the common conditions we help with in Pinckney, MO include:
- Disc Injuries — Herniated discs and bulging discs can be caused by either an injury or wear and tear from aging. They can impinge on a nerve which can be painful and limit mobility. Degenerative disc disease occurs as a natural result of aging, and greatly decreases flexibility.
- Sciatica — Sciatica is a general term for irritation of the sciatic nerve, which is the largest nerve in the body and begins near your tailbone. It can cause to crippling pain, weakness, and tingling from your buttocks all the way down to your foot.
- Spinal Stenosis — Stenosis occurs when the spinal cavity becomes too narrow and puts pressure on the spinal cord and nerves. It can cause pain, problems with walking or other movements, and numbness or tingling in the extremities.
- Spinal Arthritis — Arthritis describes several different types of joint disease. It onsets as the cushioning between the joints degrades over time or from over-exertion. Obesity, autoimmune disorders, and other conditions can also lead to arthritis. The term “arthritis” describes over a hundred conditions, most of which can affect the spine.
- Axial Back Pain — Also referred to as nonspecific back pain, this refers to pain that doesn’t have a known, recognizable cause. Common causes are obesity or poor posture.
Physical therapy is also an effective treatment option for muscle strains, whiplash, and other more acute injuries.
Whatever condition is currently ailing you, our Pinckney, MO spine specialists will work in tandem with you and your doctor to develop an evidence-backed treatment plan to get you back to the activities you love and a more comfortable life. While some conditions, like stenosis, won’t ever fully go away, physical therapy is an effective part of a holistic wellness routine that reduces pain and other symptoms and regains optimal mobility.
If you need surgery on your spine, we offer pre- and post-surgical rehab in Pinckney, MO to help you be healthy for surgery and recovery quickly and safely.
Benefits of Working With a Physical Therapy Spine Specialist in Pinckney, MO
Physical therapy is becoming an increasingly popular non-surgical option for a variety of issues affecting our musculoskeletal system. According to a paper published in the Annals of Internal Medicine, physical therapy can get the same relief and results for some back pain as surgery, without the same recovery time or risk of adverse side-effects. Early intervention by a licensed Pinckney, MO physical therapist has been demonstrated to limit the risk of long-term opioid use.
A spine specialist like those at Axes Physical Therapy will be able to determine what is causing your pain or other issues, and design a treatment plan based on your current and previous medical conditions, how old you are, and the lifestyle you wish to achieve or get back to. Through a variety of exercises and techniques, physical therapy can limit symptoms, improve the function of your spine by improving strength and flexibility, enhance range of motion.
Physical Therapy for Spine Problems
Depending on what is causing your back pain or other symptoms, your Pinckney, MO spine specialist at Axes may include some of the following in your treatment plan:
- Manual Therapy — Our Pinckney, MO manual therapists are able to use light pressures and stretches to decrease back pain due to spinal issues. Hand-on services we may use to treat you include:
- Guided Exercise — Safe exercises are crucial for helping you build up strength, flexibility, and balance. Beyond managing symptoms now, guided exercise will also help overall function and improve movement health. Exercises we might assign include:
- Core stabilization
- Postural retraining
- Cardio conditioning
- Strength training
- Home exercise
- Injury Prevention — It’s incredibly frustrating to feel like you’re moving on from an injury, only to aggravate it. We help you understand your injury and how it affects your body’s function, so you’ll know how to stay healthy in the future. Injury prevention includes:
- Patient education
- Lifting education
- Activity modification
Your treatment plan in Pinckney, MO will be comprehensive and focused on getting you to your best possible function and helping you stay there. Whatever your treatment plan includes, it will designed based on peer-reviewed studies that those techniques have been proven to work.
Other services we offer in Pinckney, MO include:
- Beginner Running Program
- Chronic Pain Treatment
- MCL Injury
- Shoulder Pain
- Injury Prevention
- Knee Injury
- Joint Pain
Count on Axes For Your Spine Specialist Near Me in Pinckney, MO
Don’t let a spine condition keep you from what you love doing most. At Axes, our Pinckney, MO spine specialists are dedicated to positive patient outcomes. Your pain may not have been your choice, but you can choose to do something about it. For a professional and qualified Pinckney, MO spine specialist to treat you, schedule an appointment with Axes Physical Therapy today or reach out to the location nearest you