Spine Specialist Near Me in Stone Meadows, MO
Spine specialist near me in Stone Meadows, MO. Spine injuries can make everyday tasks like sitting up difficult, and keep us from our best possible movement health. For physically active people, back injuries can keep you from being at the top of their game. For workers, it can prevent you from providing for your Stone Meadows, MO loved ones. For others, it can prevent us from taking the dog for a walk or playing with our grandkids like we love doing. Physical therapists who specialize in the spine can help return to the functional and pain-free life you’re looking for. By creating a custom treatment plan, based on techniques proven to work, Axes Physical Therapy can help you live your best life. If you’re prepared to at long last be free from the issues holding you back, schedule an appointment with an Axes Stone Meadows, MO spine specialist, or reach out to the Axes location most convenient for you.
Missouri Revised Statute §334.506 mandates that a prescription is required for physical therapy. If you’re dealing with a recent injury or living with chronic pain, consult with your physician about if physical therapy with a spine specialist in Stone Meadows, MO is what you need. You can also come see us for one of our no-obligation injury screenings.
The Anatomy of the Spine
The spine is our central support structure, and allows our brain and body to coordinate with each other. It extends from the base of your skull to your tailbone. The spine consists of:
The spine consists of 33 vertebrae, which are small bones that stack on top of each other to form the spinal canal. The spinal cord and nerves run through holes in the middle of each vertebra. There are five vertebral regions. There are:
- 7 vertebrae in the cervical region (your neck)
- 12 vertebrae in the thoracic region (your middle back)
- 5 vertebrae in the lumbar region (your lower back)
- 5 vertebrae in the sacrum region (the triangle shaped bone that connects to the hips)
- 4 vertebrae in the coccyx region (your tailbone)
The 24 vertebrae in the first 3 regions are the only ones that can move; the others are immobile.
Facet joints connect the vertebrae. They allow your back and neck to perform a variety of movements. They are lined with cartilage and lubricated with synovial fluid, allowing healthy bones and joints to safely glide and slide during movement.
Discs are the flat, round cushions between the vertebrae that absorb the stress and shock the body is put under when moving. Every two vertebrae have one disc between them. Discs have a softer center known as the nucleus pulposus, which gives them flexibility and allows them to absorb shock, and an outer ring of tough fibers known as the annulus fibrosus that prevent the nucleus pulposus from leaking out.
The spinal cord is a long, thin, tubular structure, extending from the brain to your lumbar region, where the nerves extend into the lower part of your body. The spinal cord is protected by the vertebral column. The nerves branch out to other parts of the body through holes in the vertebrae known as the neural foramen. The spinal cord carries messages between our brain and other parts of our body.
Surrounding and within the spine are also various types of soft tissue. Ligaments attach vertebrae, hold them together, and give them structure. Tendons attach muscles to the vertebrae, and the muscles are what powers the spine’s movement.
A healthy spine relies on all of these systems to to work together to achieve optimal movement health and a pain free life. A variety of factors can interfere with the spine and keep you from the activities you love most. When that happens, a spine specialist in Stone Meadows, MO like Axes’ physical therapists can get you back to the lifestyle you desire.
What Conditions Can a Spine Specialist in Stone Meadows, MO Treat Me For?
The American College of Physicians developed guidelines that include numerous physical therapy treatments for people living with lower back pain and neck pain. Whether you’re living with chronic pain or recently suffered a work injury, Axes’ Stone Meadows, MO spine specialists can help you live your best life. Some of the common conditions we help with in Stone Meadows, MO include:
- Disc Injuries — Herniated discs and bulging discs can be caused by either an injury or wear and tear from aging. They put pressure on a nerve which can be painful and limit function. Degenerative disc disease occurs as a natural result of aging, and can have symptoms similar to herniated discs.
- Sciatica — Sciatica is an umbrella term for irritation of the sciatic nerve, which is our bodies’ longest nerves and begins near your tailbone. Symptoms include immense pain, weakness, and numbness down one side of your body.
- Spinal Stenosis — Stenosis occurs when the spinal cavity becomes too narrow and puts pressure on the spinal cord and nerves. Symptoms include pain, balance problems, and numbness or tingling in the extremities.
- Spinal Arthritis — Arthritis describes several different types of joint disease. It occurs as the cartilage between the joints wears down over time or from over-exertion. It can also be caused by autoimmune disorders. There are over 100 types of arthritis, most of which can affect the spine.
- Axial Back Pain — Also called nonspecific back pain, this refers to pain that doesn’t have a known, recognizable cause. Axial back pain can be caused by obesity or poor posture.
Physical therapy is also an effective treatment option for soft tissue injuries such as muscle strains.
Whatever is causing your back pain or injury, our Stone Meadows, MO spine specialists will form a team with you and your physician to design a treatment plan, based on proven strategies, and aimed at getting you back to the activities you love and a pain-free life. While some conditions, like degenerative disc disease, won’t ever fully go away, physical therapy is an effective part of a comprehensive treatment plan that reduces pain and other symptoms and achieves optimal mobility.
If your spine condition requires surgery, we offer pre- and post-surgical rehab in Stone Meadows, MO to help your surgery go as well as possible.
Benefits of Working With a Physical Therapy Spine Specialist in Stone Meadows, MO
Physical therapy is becoming an increasingly popular non-surgical option for a variety of issues affecting our musculoskeletal system. According to a study published in the Annals of Internal Medicine, physical therapy can get the same relief and results for some back pain as surgery, without the same risk of complications. Early intervention by a licensed Stone Meadows, MO physical therapist has been demonstrated to reduce the risk of long-term opioid use.
A qualified spine specialist will be able to find the root cause of your back problems, and create a treatment plan based on your medical history, your age, and the lifestyle you wish to achieve or get back to. Through a variety of exercises and manual therapy, physical therapy can limit symptoms, help your spine and nervous system function better, boost flexibility.
Physical Therapy for Spine Issues
Depending on your specific condition, your Stone Meadows, MO spine specialist at Axes may include some of the following in your treatment plan:
- Hands-On Care — Our Stone Meadows, MO manual therapists are experts at using light pressures and stretches to alleviate symptoms and improve function due to spinal issues. Manual therapy we may incorporate into your treatment plan include:
- Guided Exercise — Safe exercises are crucial for getting your soft tissue, joints, and bones stronger and more flexible. Beyond reducing symptoms now, guided exercise will also help overall function and improve movement health. Effective exercises for spine conditions include:
- Core stabilization
- Postural retraining
- Cardio conditioning
- Strength training
- Home exercise
- Injury Prevention — There’s nothing worse than believing you’re moving on from an injury, only to aggravate it. We’ll educate you about the musculoskeletal system and how yours is being affected, so you can learn how to be active safely. Our injury prevention program includes:
- Patient education
- Lifting education
- Activity modification
Your treatment plan in Stone Meadows, MO will be comprehensive and focused on getting you to your best possible movement health and helping you stay there. Whatever your treatment plan includes, it will be based on time-tested techniques.
Other services we offer in Stone Meadows, MO include:
- Beginner Running Program
- Chronic Pain Treatment
- MCL Injury
- Shoulder Pain
- Injury Prevention
- Knee Injury
- Joint Pain
Count on Axes For Your Spine Specialist Near Me in Stone Meadows, MO
Don’t let a back injury prevent you from living the life you want. At Axes, our Stone Meadows, MO spine specialists are dedicated to positive patient outcomes. You didn’t decide to live with this condition, but you can choose to do something about it. For a licensed and qualified Stone Meadows, MO spine specialist to treat you, schedule an evaluation with Axes Physical Therapy now or contact the location most convenient for you