Spine Specialist Near Me in Ranken, MO
Spine specialist near me in Ranken, MO. Spinal conditions can make everyday activities like laying down difficult, and disturb how our bodies function. For people who play sports, back problems can prevent you from being at the top of their game. For workers, it can prevent you from providing for your Ranken, MO loved ones. For others, it can keep us from taking the dog for a walk or playing with our children as we’d like to. Physical therapists who specialize in the spine can help you get back to what you love doing most. By creating a custom treatment plan, based on techniques proven to work, Axes Physical Therapy can help you achieve the lifestyle you desire. If you’re prepared to at long last be free from debilitating back pain, schedule an evaluation with an Axes Ranken, MO spine specialist, or reach out to the Axes location nearest you.
Under Missouri Revised Statute §334.506, a doctor needs to prescribe physical therapy. If you’re dealing with a recent injury or find that back pain is keeping you from the activities you love, consult with your physician about if physical therapy with a spine specialist in Ranken, MO is what you need. You can also come see us for one of Axes’ free injury screenings.
The Anatomy of the Spine
The spine supports both our physical bodies, and how our bodies communicate. It starts at the base of your brain and ends at your tailbone. There are several different parts of your spine:
The spine has 33 vertebrae, which are small bones that stack on top of each other to form the spinal canal. The spinal cord and nerves run through holes in the middle of each vertebra. The vertebrae are grouped into five regions. There are:
- 7 vertebrae in the cervical region (your neck)
- 12 vertebrae in the thoracic region (your middle back)
- 5 vertebrae in the lumbar region (your lower back)
- 5 vertebrae in the sacrum region (the triangle shaped bone that connects to the hips)
- 4 vertebrae in the coccyx region (your tailbone)
The 24 vertebrae in the first 3 regions are the only ones that can move; the others are immobile.
Each vertebra is connected to two facet joints which connect the bones to each other. They allow your back and neck to extend, bend, twist, and rotate. Between the joints and bones are cartilage and synovial fluid, allowing healthy bones and joints to safely glide and slide during movement.
Discs are the circular cushions between the vertebrae that act as shock absorbers. There is one disc between each vertebra. Discs have a “gel-like” middle known as the nucleus pulposus, which gives them flexibility and allows them to absorb shock, and a tough, circular exterior called the annulus fibrosus that prevent the gel-like center from leaking out.
The spinal cord is made up of of nerves running up the bones in your spine, extending from the brain to your lumbar region, where the nerves extend into the lower part of your body. The spinal cord is protected by the vertebral column. The nerves extend to other parts of the body through holes in the vertebrae known as the neural foramen. The spinal cord allows our brain to tell our bodies to move, and our brains to receive sensory information from our body.
The spine also has muscles, ligaments, and tendons. Ligaments attach bones together, hold them in place, and give them structure. Muscles are attached to bones by tendons, and power their movement.
Achieving the lifestyle we want depends on all of these parts working together and functioning properly. A variety of conditions can interfere with the spine and significantly limit your ability to enjoy the things you love doing. If you’re living with back pain or spine issues, a spine specialist in Ranken, MO like Axes’ physical therapists can provide safe and effective relief.
What Conditions Can a Spine Specialist in Ranken, MO Treat Me For?
The American College of Physicians developed guidelines that include certain physical therapy treatments for people living with lower back pain and neck pain. Whether you’re dealing with pain on a daily basis or recently suffered a work injury, Axes’ Ranken, MO spine specialists can help you live your best life. Some of the common conditions we help with in Ranken, MO are:
- Disc Injuries — Herniated discs and bulging discs can be the result of either an injury or wear and tear from aging. They put pressure on a nerve which can cause severe pain along your neck and back and limit strength. Degenerative disc disease occurs as the cushioning in your spine wears away, and greatly decreases flexibility.
- Sciatica — Sciatica is a general term for irritation of the sciatic nerve, which is our bodies’ longest nerves and originates in the lumbar region. Symptoms include crippling pain, weakness, and numbness from your buttocks all the way down to your foot.
- Spinal Stenosis — Stenosis occurs when the spinal cavity becomes too narrow and puts pressure on the spinal cord and nerves. It can cause pain, problems with walking or other movements, and loss of sensation in your hands or feet.
- Spinal Arthritis — Arthritis is the inflammation of the facet joints. It onsets as the cartilage between the joints wears down over time or from repeated trauma. Obesity, autoimmune disorders, and other conditions can also lead to arthritis. The term “arthritis” describes over a hundred conditions, most of which are possible in the spine.
- Axial Back Pain — Also known as nonspecific back pain, this refers to pain that doesn’t have a known, recognizable cause. Common causes are obesity or poor posture.
Physical therapy is also an effective treatment option for soft tissue injuries such as whiplash.
Whatever is causing your back pain or injury, our Ranken, MO spine specialists will work in concert with you and your physician to design an evidence-backed treatment plan to get you back to the things you love doing most and a pain-free life. While some conditions, like degenerative disc disease, can’t be “cured,” physical therapy can be part of a comprehensive wellness routine that eases symptoms and regains optimal mobility.
If you need surgery on your spine, we can work with you in your pre- and post-surgical rehab in Ranken, MO to help get the best results possible.
What a Physical Therapy Spine Specialist Can Do For You in Ranken, MO
More and more people are turning to physical therapy as a non-surgical option for a variety of musculoskeletal conditions. According to a study published in the Annals of Internal Medicine, physical therapy is just as effective as surgery for certain types of back pain, without the same risk of complications. Early intervention by a licensed Ranken, MO physical therapist is proven to reduce long-term opioid dependence.
A spine specialist like those at Axes Physical Therapy will be able to find the root cause of your back problems, and design a treatment plan based on your injures, your age, and your desired activity level. Through numerous different exercises and techniques, physical therapy can limit symptoms, improve the function of your spine by improving strength and flexibility, boost flexibility.
Physical Therapy for Spine Problems
Depending on what is causing your back pain or other symptoms, your Ranken, MO spine specialist at Axes may implement some of the following practices to help get you back to the activities you love:
- Hands-On Care — Our Ranken, MO manual therapists are able to use subtle manipulations and stretches to decrease back pain due to spinal issues. Manual therapy we may use to help you include:
- Guided Exercise — Safe exercises are crucial for getting your soft tissue, joints, and bones stronger and more flexible. In addition to managing pain now, certain exercises will also help overall function and improve movement health. Exercises we might assign include:
- Core stabilization
- Postural retraining
- Cardio conditioning
- Strength training
- Home exercise
- Injury Prevention — It’s beyond frustrating to feel like you’ve gotten past an injury, only to suffer another injury in the future. We’ll educate you about your injury and how it affects your body’s function, so you can learn how to be active safely. Injury prevention includes:
- Patient education
- Lifting education
- Activity modification
Your treatment plan in Ranken, MO will be based not on just recovery or pain relief, but on getting you to optimal movement health and keeping you there. However we recommend treating your spine condition or back pain, it will designed based on peer-reviewed studies that those techniques have been proven to work.
Other services we offer in Ranken, MO include:
- Vestibular Therapy
- Concussion Treatment
- Soft Tissue Mobilization
- Post Surgical Rehabilitation
- Shin Splint Treatment
- Direct Access Physical Therapy
- Gait Analysis
- Pelvic Floor Therapy
- Dry Needling Near Me
Count on Axes For Your Spine Specialist Near Me in Ranken, MO
Don’t allow a spine condition keep you from living the life you want. At Axes, our Ranken, MO spine specialists are dedicated to positive patient outcomes. Your pain may not have been your choice, but you can choose to do something about it. For a professional and experienced Ranken, MO spine specialist to treat you, schedule an evaluation with Axes Physical Therapy today or reach out to the location closest to you