Spine Specialist Near Me in Lake Tekawitha, MO
Spine specialist near me in Lake Tekawitha, MO. Spine injuries can make basic tasks like bending over painful, and keep us from our best possible movement health. For physically active people, back issues can prevent you from being at the top of their game. For workers, it can hinder your ability to provide for your Lake Tekawitha, MO loved ones. For others, it can keep us from taking walks or playing with our children like we love doing. Physical therapists who specialize in the spine can help return to what you love doing most. Through safe and proven exercises and treatment plans, Axes Physical Therapy can help you live your best life. If you’re prepared to at long last move on from debilitating back pain, request an appointment with an Axes Lake Tekawitha, MO spine specialist, or call the Axes location nearest you.
Missouri law mandates that a prescription is required for physical therapy. If you’re recovering from a back or neck injury, or are find that back pain is disrupting your daily life, consult with your physician about if physical therapy with a spine specialist in Lake Tekawitha, MO can be safe and effective for you. In the meantime, come see us for one of our no-obligation injury screenings.
The Human Spine
The spine supports both our physical bodies, and how our bodies communicate. It starts at the base of your skull and ends at your pelvis. The spine is made up of:
The spine consists of 33 vertebrae, which are small bones that form the backbone. The spinal cord and nerves run through holes in the middle of each vertebra. The vertebrae are grouped into five regions. There are:
- 7 vertebrae in the cervical region (your neck)
- 12 vertebrae in the thoracic region (your middle back)
- 5 vertebrae in the lumbar region (your lower back)
- 5 vertebrae in the sacrum region (the triangle shaped bone that connects to the hips)
- 4 vertebrae in the coccyx region (your tailbone)
The 24 vertebrae in the cervical, thoracic, and lumbar regions provide mobility; the others are fused into place.
Each vertebra is connected to two facet joints which connect the bones to each other. They allow your back and neck to perform a variety of movements. Between the joints and bones are cartilage and synovial fluid, allowing healthy bones and joints to safely glide and slide during movement.
Discs are the flat, round cushions between the vertebrae that absorb shock and prevent the vertebrae from grinding against each other. There is one disc between each vertebra. Discs have a “gel-like” center known as the nucleus pulposus, which allows for mobility and absorption, and an outer ring of tough fibers called the annulus fibrosus that protect the disc and connect the vertebrae.
The spinal cord is a long, thin, tubular structure, extending from the brain to your lumbar region, where the nerves extend into the lower part of your body. The spinal cord is protected by spinal fluid and a membrane called dura mater. The nerves branch out to other parts of the body through openings in the vertebrae known as the neural foramen. The spinal cord allows our brain to tell our bodies to move, and our brains to receive sensory information from our body.
Surrounding and within the spine are also various types of soft tissue. Ligaments attach vertebrae, hold them together, and give them structure. Tendons attach muscles to the vertebrae, and the muscles are what powers the spine’s movement.
Living the lifestyle we want depends on all of these parts working together and functioning properly. A variety of factors can make the spine damaged or unhealthy, which can severely limit your ability to enjoy the activities you love most. When that happens, a spine specialist in Lake Tekawitha, MO like Axes’ physical therapists can get you back to doing what you love most.
What Conditions Can a Spine Specialist in Lake Tekawitha, MO Help With?
The American College of Physicians developed guidelines that include a variety of physical therapy treatments for people living with lower back pain and neck pain. Whether you’re living with chronic pain or recently sustained a work injury, Axes’ Lake Tekawitha, MO spine specialists can help you live your best life. Some of the common conditions we help with in Lake Tekawitha, MO are:
- Disc Injuries — Herniated discs and bulging discs can be caused by either an injury or wear and tear as we get older. They put pressure on a nerve which can be painful and limit mobility. Degenerative disc disease occurs as the cushioning in your spine wears away, and can have symptoms similar to herniated discs.
- Sciatica — Sciatica is an umbrella term for irritation of the sciatic nerve, which is our bodies’ longest nerves and begins in the lumbar region. It can cause to debilitating pain, weakness, and tingling through your buttock and leg.
- Spinal Stenosis — Stenosis occurs when the space inside your backbone is too small. Symptoms include pain, issues with walking or other movements, and loss of sensation in your hands or feet.
- Spinal Arthritis — Arthritis describes several different types of joint disease. It onsets as the cushioning between the joints degrades over time or from over-exertion. It can also be caused by autoimmune disorders. There are over 100 types of arthritis, most of which can affect the spine.
- Axial Back Pain — Also referred to as nonspecific back pain, this refers to pain isn’t brought on by a clear, diagnosable cause. Common causes are obesity or poor posture.
Physical therapy is also an effective treatment option for muscle strains, whiplash, and other more acute injuries.
Whatever is causing your back pain or injury, our Lake Tekawitha, MO spine specialists will work alongside you and your physician to develop an evidence-backed treatment plan to get you back to the things you love doing most and a more comfortable life. While some conditions, like arthritis, can’t be “cured,” physical therapy can be part of a comprehensive treatment plan that eases symptoms and achieves optimal mobility.
If your spine condition requires surgery, we offer pre- and post-surgical rehab in Lake Tekawitha, MO to help get the best results possible.
Benefits of Working With a Physical Therapy Spine Specialist in Lake Tekawitha, MO
Physical therapy is becoming an increasingly popular non-surgical option for a variety of musculoskeletal conditions. According to a paper published in the Annals of Internal Medicine, physical therapy is just as effective as surgery for certain types of back pain, without the same recovery time or risk of adverse side-effects. Early intervention by a licensed Lake Tekawitha, MO physical therapist is proven to limit long-term opioid dependence.
A spine specialist like those at Axes Physical Therapy will be able to find the root cause of your back problems, and design a treatment plan based on your current and previous medical conditions, your age, and the lifestyle you wish to achieve or get back to. Through a variety of exercises and manual therapy, physical therapy can limit symptoms, improve the function of your spine by increasing strength and flexibility, boost range of motion.
Physical Therapy for Spine Problems
Depending on what is causing your back pain or spine dysfunction, your Lake Tekawitha, MO spine specialist at Axes may include some of the following in your treatment plan:
- Hands-On Care — Our Lake Tekawitha, MO manual therapists are experts at using subtle manipulations and stretches to decrease back pain caused by muscle or joint dysfunction. Hand-on services we may include in your treatment plan include:
- Guided Exercise — Safe exercises are essential for helping you build up strength, flexibility, and balance. In addition to reducing pain now, guided exercise will also help overall function and improve movement health. Effective exercises for spine conditions include:
- Core stabilization
- Postural retraining
- Cardio conditioning
- Strength training
- Home exercise
- Injury Prevention — It’s beyond frustrating to feel like you’ve gotten past an injury, only to suffer another injury in the future. We help you understand the musculoskeletal system and how yours is being affected, so you can learn how to be active safely. Our injury prevention program includes:
- Patient education
- Lifting education
- Activity modification
Your treatment plan in Lake Tekawitha, MO will be holistic and focused on getting you to optimal movement health and helping you stay there. Whatever your treatment plan includes, it will be based on time-tested techniques.
Other services we offer in Lake Tekawitha, MO include:
- Vestibular Therapy
- Concussion Treatment
- Soft Tissue Mobilization
- Post Surgical Rehabilitation
- Shin Splint Treatment
- Direct Access Physical Therapy
- Gait Analysis
- Pelvic Floor Therapy
- Dry Needling Near Me
- Tendonitis Treatment
Count on Axes For Your Spine Specialist Near Me in Lake Tekawitha, MO
Don’t allow a spine condition keep you from the activities you love. At Axes, our Lake Tekawitha, MO spine specialists are dedicated to positive patient outcomes. Your pain may not have been your choice, but you do not have to choose to live with it. For a licensed and knowledgeable Lake Tekawitha, MO spine specialist to help you, schedule an appointment with Axes Physical Therapy today or contact the location most convenient for you