Spine Specialist Near Me in Peerless Park, MO
Spine specialist near me in Peerless Park, MO. Lower back issues can make everyday tasks like bending over painful, and disturb how our bodies function. For physically active people, back injuries can prevent you from being at peak performance. For breadwinners, it can prevent you from providing for your Peerless Park, MO loved ones. For others, it can prevent us from going on bike ride or other physical activities. Physical therapists who specialize in the spine can help return to what you love doing most. By creating a custom treatment plan, based on techniques proven to work, Axes Physical Therapy can help you achieve the movement health and pain relief your body needs to be at its best, and that you need to live your best life. If you’re ready to at long last move on from a crippling back condition, schedule an evaluation with an Axes Peerless Park, MO spine specialist, or get in touch with the Axes location nearest you.
According to Missouri law, a doctor needs to prescribe physical therapy. If you’re dealing with a recent injury or living with chronic pain, ask your doctor if physical therapy with a spine specialist in Peerless Park, MO is right for you. You can also take advantage of one of our no-obligation injury screenings.
The Anatomy of the Spine
The spine supports both our physical bodies, and how our bodies communicate. It starts at the base of your brain and ends at your pelvis. There are several different parts of your spine:
There are 33 vertebrae from the top to bottom of the spine, which are small bones that form the backbone. The spinal cord and nerves run through holes in the middle of each vertebra. The vertebrae are grouped into five regions. There are:
- 7 vertebrae in the cervical region (your neck)
- 12 vertebrae in the thoracic region (your middle back)
- 5 vertebrae in the lumbar region (your lower back)
- 5 vertebrae in the sacrum region (the triangle shaped bone that connects to the hips)
- 4 vertebrae in the coccyx region (your tailbone)
The 24 vertebrae in the cervical, thoracic, and lumbar regions are the only ones that can move; the others are fused into place.
Discs are the circular cushions between the vertebrae that absorb the stress and shock the body incurs when moving. There is one disc between each vertebra. Discs have a softer middle called the nucleus pulposus, which allows for mobility and absorption, and an outer ring of tough fibers called the annulus fibrosus that protect the disc and connect the vertebrae.
The spinal cord is a collection of nerves running up the bones in your spine, extending from the brain to your lumbar region, where the nerves extend into the lower part of your body. The spinal cord is protected by spinal fluid and a membrane called dura mater. The nerves extend to other parts of the body through holes in the vertebrae called the neural foramen. The spinal cord is how our bodies and brains communicate.
Surrounding and within the spine are also muscles, ligaments, and tendons. Ligaments attach vertebrae and holds them in the correct structure. Tendons attach muscles to the vertebrae, and the muscles are what powers the spine’s movement.
Living the lifestyle we want depends on all of these parts working together and functioning properly. Numerous different factors can interfere with the spine and keep you from the activities you love most. If you’re dealing with back pain or spine issues, a spine specialist in Peerless Park, MO like Axes’ physical therapists can provide safe and effective relief.
What Conditions Can a Spine Specialist in Peerless Park, MO Help With?
The American College of Physicians recommends numerous physical therapy treatments for people living with lower back pain and neck pain. Whether you’re dealing with pain on a daily basis or recently sustained a work injury, Axes’ Peerless Park, MO spine specialists can help you live your best life. Some of the common conditions we treat in Peerless Park, MO are:
- Disc Injuries — Herniated discs and bulging discs can be due to either an injury or wear and tear as we get older. They can impinge on a nerve which can be painful and limit function. Degenerative disc disease occurs as the cushioning in your spine wears away, and can have symptoms similar to herniated discs.
- Sciatica — Sciatica is an umbrella term for irritation of the sciatic nerve, which is the largest nerve in the body and begins near your tailbone. It can cause to debilitating pain, weakness, and tingling from your buttocks all the way down to your foot.
- Spinal Stenosis — Stenosis occurs when the space inside your backbone is too small. Symptoms include pain, balance problems, and loss of sensation in the extremities.
- Spinal Arthritis — Arthritis is the inflammation of the facet joints. It onsets as the cartilage between the joints wears down over time or from repeated trauma. It can also be caused by autoimmune disorders. There are over 100 types of arthritis, most of which can affect the facet joints of the spine.
- Axial Back Pain — Also called nonspecific back pain, this refers to pain that doesn’t have a known, recognizable cause. Common causes are obesity or poor posture.
Physical therapy can also help with muscle strains, whiplash, and other more acute injuries.
Whatever condition is currently ailing you, our Peerless Park, MO spine specialists will work with you and your physician to design an evidence-backed treatment plan to get you back to the activities you love and a pain-free life. While some conditions, like arthritis, won’t ever fully go away, physical therapy is an effective part of a holistic treatment plan that reduces pain and other symptoms and returns optimal mobility.
If what’s ailing you requires surgery, we offer pre- and post-surgical rehab in Peerless Park, MO to help attain the best results possible.
Benefits of Working With a Physical Therapy Spine Specialist in Peerless Park, MO
More and more people are turning to physical therapy as a non-invasive treatment plan for a variety of musculoskeletal conditions. According to a paper published By the American College of Physicians, physical therapy can get the same relief and results for some back pain as surgery, without the same risk of complications. Early intervention by a licensed Peerless Park, MO physical therapist has been demonstrated to reduce long-term opioid dependence.
A spine specialist like those at Axes Physical Therapy will be able to determine what is causing your pain or other issues, and build a treatment plan based on your injures, how old you are, and your desired activity level. Through a variety of exercises and manual therapy, physical therapy can limit symptoms, help your spine and nervous system function better, increase range of motion.
Physical Therapy for Spine Conditions
Depending on your specific condition, your Peerless Park, MO spine specialist at Axes may include some of the following in your treatment plan:
- Manual Therapy — Our Peerless Park, MO manual therapists are experts at using light pressures and stretches to alleviate symptoms and improve function caused by muscle or joint dysfunction. Hand-on services we may incorporate into your treatment plan include:
- Guided Exercise — Safe exercises are essential for helping you build up strength, flexibility, and balance. In addition to limiting pain now, certain exercises will allow you to maintain a well-functioning spine when you’re on the move. Effective exercises for spine conditions include:
- Core stabilization
- Postural retraining
- Cardio conditioning
- Strength training
- Home exercise
- Injury Prevention — It’s beyond frustrating to believe you’ve overcome an injury, only to suffer another injury in the future. We’ll educate you about the musculoskeletal system and how yours is being affected, so you’ll know how to protect your spine while being active. Injury prevention includes:
- Patient education
- Lifting education
- Activity modification
Your treatment plan in Peerless Park, MO will be based not on just recovery or pain relief, but on getting you to optimal function and helping you stay there. Whatever your treatment plan includes, it will designed based on proven techniques.
Other services we offer in Peerless Park, MO include:
- Vestibular Therapy
- Concussion Treatment
- Soft Tissue Mobilization
- Post Surgical Rehabilitation
- Shin Splint Treatment
- Direct Access Physical Therapy
- Gait Analysis
- Pelvic Floor Therapy
- Dry Needling Near Me
- Tendonitis Treatment
Count on Axes For Your Spine Specialist Near Me in Peerless Park, MO
Don’t let a spine condition prevent you from what you love doing most. At Axes, our Peerless Park, MO spine specialists are dedicated to positive patient outcomes. You didn’t decide to live with back pain, but you do not have to decide to live with it. For a professional and knowledgeable Peerless Park, MO spine specialist to treat you, request an evaluation with Axes Physical Therapy today or reach out to the location closest to you