Spine Specialist Near Me in Scotsdale, MO
Spine specialist near me in Scotsdale, MO. Spinal conditions can make everyday activities like bending over painful, and disturb how our bodies function. For people who play sports, back problems can prevent you from being at the top of their game. For breadwinners, it can prevent you from putting food on the table for your Scotsdale, MO loved ones. For others, it can prevent us from going on bike ride or playing with our children like we love doing. Physical therapists with a spine specialty can help return to the functional and pain-free life you’re looking for. Through safe and proven exercises and treatment plans, Axes Physical Therapy can help you achieve the movement health and pain relief your body needs to function, and that you need to live your best life. If you’re prepared to at long last move on from a crippling back condition, request an evaluation with an Axes Scotsdale, MO spine specialist, or reach out to the Axes location most convenient for you.
Missouri law requires a prescription for physical therapy. If you’re recovering from a back or neck injury, or are living with chronic pain, consult with your physician about if physical therapy with a spine specialist in Scotsdale, MO is what you need. In the meantime, visit one of our offices for one of our no-obligation injury screenings.
The Anatomy of the Spine
The spine supports both our physical bodies, and how our bodies communicate. It extends from the base of your brain to your pelvis. There are several different parts of your spine:
The spine consists of 33 vertebrae, which are small bones that stack on top of each other to form the spinal canal. The spinal cord and nerves run through holes in the middle of each vertebra. The vertebrae are grouped into five regions. There are:
- 7 vertebrae in the cervical region (your neck)
- 12 vertebrae in the thoracic region (your middle back)
- 5 vertebrae in the lumbar region (your lower back)
- 5 vertebrae in the sacrum region (the triangle shaped bone that connects to the hips)
- 4 vertebrae in the coccyx region (your tailbone)
The 24 vertebrae in the first 3 regions are the only ones that can move; the others are immobile.
Each vertebra is connected to two facet joints which connect the bones to each other. They allow your back and neck to perform a variety of movements. Between the joints and bones are cartilage and synovial fluid, allowing healthy bones and joints to safely glide and slide during movement.
Discs are the flat, round cushions between the vertebrae that absorb the stress and shock the body incurs when moving. There is one disc between each vertebra. Discs have a softer middle called the nucleus pulposus, which allows for mobility and absorption, and a tough, circular exterior known as the annulus fibrosus that prevent the gel-like center from leaking out.
The spinal cord is made up of of nerves running up the bones in your spine, from your brain to your tailbone, where the nerves go into the lower part of your body. The spinal cord is protected by the vertebrae and other tissue. The neural foramen are openings in the vertebrae where the nerves to go into other parts of the body. The spinal cord allows our brain to tell our bodies to move, and our brains to receive sensory information from our body.
Surrounding and within the spine are also muscles, ligaments, and tendons. Ligaments connect bones together and holds them in the correct structure. Muscles are connected to bones by tendons, and power their movement.
Achieving the lifestyle we want depends on all of these parts working together and functioning properly. Numerous different conditions can make the spine damaged or unhealthy, which can keep you from the activities you love most. When that happens, a spine specialist in Scotsdale, MO like Axes’ physical therapists can provide safe and effective relief.
What Injuries Can a Spine Specialist in Scotsdale, MO Help With?
The American College of Physicians developed guidelines that include numerous physical therapy treatments for lower back pain and neck pain. Whether you’re dealing with pain on a daily basis or recently suffered a sports injury, Axes’ Scotsdale, MO spine specialists can help get you feeling great again. Some of the common conditions we treat in Scotsdale, MO include:
- Disc Injuries — Herniated discs and bulging discs can be caused by either an injury or general degradation as we get older. They can impinge on a nerve which can be painful and limit function. Degenerative disc disease occurs as a natural result of aging, and greatly decreases flexibility.
- Sciatica — Sciatica refers to a variety of conditions which irritate the sciatic nerve, which is our bodies’ longest nerves and begins near your tailbone. It can cause to crippling pain, weakness, and tingling from your buttocks all the way down to your foot.
- Spinal Stenosis — Stenosis occurs when the spinal cavity becomes too narrow and puts pressure on the spinal cord and nerves. It can cause pain, balance problems, and loss of sensation in your hands or feet.
- Spinal Arthritis — Arthritis describes several different types of joint disease. It occurs as the cartilage between the joints degrades over time or from over-exertion. It can also be caused by autoimmune disorders. There are over 100 types of arthritis, most of which are possible in the spine.
- Axial Back Pain — Also known as nonspecific back pain, this refers to pain that doesn’t have a known, recognizable cause. Common causes are obesity or poor posture.
Physical therapy can also help with soft tissue injuries such as whiplash.
Whatever is causing your back pain or injury, our Scotsdale, MO spine specialists will work in concert with you and your physician to come up with a treatment plan, based on proven strategies, and aimed at getting you back to the activities you love and a pain-free life. While some conditions, like stenosis, won’t ever fully go away, physical therapy can be part of a holistic treatment plan that reduces pain and other symptoms and regains optimal mobility.
If you need surgery on your spine, we can work with you in your pre- and post-surgical rehab in Scotsdale, MO to help you be healthy for surgery and recovery quickly and safely.
What a Physical Therapy Spine Specialist Can Do For You in Scotsdale, MO
Physical therapy is becoming an increasingly popular non-surgical option for a variety of issues affecting our musculoskeletal system. According to research published By the American College of Physicians, physical therapy is just as effective as surgery for certain types of back pain, and doesn’t involve the same recovery time or risk of adverse side-effects. Early intervention by a licensed Scotsdale, MO physical therapist is proven to reduce long-term opioid dependence.
A spine specialist like those at Axes Physical Therapy will be able to determine what is causing your pain or other issues, and develop a treatment plan based on your injures, how old you are, and your desired activity level. Through a variety of exercises and techniques, physical therapy can reduce pain, help your spine and nervous system function better, enhance range of motion.
Physical Therapy for Spine Conditions
Depending on your specific condition, your Scotsdale, MO spine specialist at Axes may implement some of the following practices to help return you to what you love doing most:
- Manual Therapy — Our Scotsdale, MO manual therapists are able to use subtle pressures and stretches to alleviate symptoms and improve function due to spinal issues. Hand-on services we may incorporate into your treatment plan include:
- Guided Exercise — Safe exercises are essential for getting your body stronger and more flexible. Beyond managing pain now, guided exercise will allow you to maintain a well-functioning spine while going to work or doing the activities you love most. Exercises we might assign include:
- Core stabilization
- Postural retraining
- Cardio conditioning
- Strength training
- Home exercise
- Injury Prevention — There’s nothing worse than believing you’re moving on from an injury, only to suffer another injury in the future. We help you understand your injury and how it affects your body’s function, so you can learn how to be active safely. Our injury prevention program includes:
- Patient education
- Lifting education
- Activity modification
Your treatment plan in Scotsdale, MO will be based not on just recovery or pain relief, but on getting you to your best possible function and helping you stay there. Whatever your treatment plan includes, it will designed based on peer-reviewed studies that those techniques have been proven to work.
Other services we offer in Scotsdale, MO include:
- Soft Tissue Mobilization
- Post Surgical Rehabilitation
- Shin Splint Treatment
- Direct Access Physical Therapy
- Gait Analysis
- Pelvic Floor Therapy
- Dry Needling Near Me
- Tendonitis Treatment
- Manual Physical Therapy
- Orthopedic Rehab Near Me
Call Axes For Your Spine Specialist Near Me in Scotsdale, MO
Don’t let a back injury keep you from the activities you love. At Axes, our Scotsdale, MO spine specialists strive for positive patient outcomes. You didn’t decide to live with this condition, but you do not have to decide to live with it. For a professional and knowledgeable Scotsdale, MO spine specialist to treat you, request an evaluation with Axes Physical Therapy now or contact the location most convenient for you