Spine Specialist Near Me in St. Clair, MO
Spine specialist near me in St. Clair, MO. Spine injuries can make basic tasks like laying down excruciating, and keep us from our best possible movement health. For athletes, back issues can prevent you from being at peak performance. For breadwinners, it can impede your ability to put food on the table for your St. Clair, MO family. For others, it can prevent us from taking walks or playing with our children like we love doing. Physical therapists who specialize in the spine can help return to the functional and pain-free life you’re looking for. Through safe and proven exercises and treatment plans, Axes Physical Therapy can help you achieve the movement health and pain relief your body needs to be at its best, and that you need to live your best life. If you’re prepared to at long last be free from a crippling back condition, request an evaluation with an Axes St. Clair, MO spine specialist, or call the Axes location most convenient for you.
Missouri Revised Statute §334.506 requires a prescription for physical therapy. If you’re recovering from a back or neck injury, or are living with chronic pain, ask your doctor if physical therapy with a spine specialist in St. Clair, MO is right for you. In the meantime, come see us for one of Axes’ free injury screenings.
The Human Spine
The spine is our central support structure, and plays a fundamental role in most movements and how the body communicates with itself. It starts at the base of your skull and ends at your pelvis. The spine is made up of:
The spine consists of 33 vertebrae, which are small bones that form the backbone. Every vertebra has a hole in the center to safeguard the spinal cord and its nerves. There are five vertebral groups. There are:
- 7 vertebrae in the cervical region (your neck)
- 12 vertebrae in the thoracic region (your middle back)
- 5 vertebrae in the lumbar region (your lower back)
- 5 vertebrae in the sacrum region (the triangle shaped bone that connects to the hips)
- 4 vertebrae in the coccyx region (your tailbone)
The 24 vertebrae in the first 3 regions provide mobility; the others are immobile.
Facet joints connect the vertebrae. They allow your back and neck to perform a variety of movements. They are lined with cartilage and lubricated with synovial fluid, allowing healthy bones and joints to safely glide and slide during movement.
Discs are the flat, round cushions between the vertebrae that absorb shock and prevent the vertebrae from grinding against each other. Every two vertebrae have one disc between them. Discs have a “gel-like” center called the nucleus pulposus, which allows for mobility and absorption, and an outer ring of tough fibers known as the annulus fibrosus that protect the disc and connect the vertebrae.
The spinal cord is a long, thin, tubular collection of nerves, extending from the brain to your lumbar region, where the nerves extend into the lower part of your body. The spinal cord is protected by the vertebral column. The neural foramen are openings in the vertebrae that allow the nerves to go into other parts of the body. The spinal cord allows our brain to tell our bodies to move, and our brains to receive sensory information from our body.
The spine also has muscles, ligaments, and tendons. Ligaments attach bones together, hold them together, and give them structure. Muscles are connected to bones by tendons, and power their movement.
A well-functioning spine needs all of these different structures to to work together to achieve optimal movement health and a pain free life. Numerous different conditions can interfere with the spine and greatly limit your ability to enjoy the things you love doing. If you’re dealing with back pain or spine issues, a spine specialist in St. Clair, MO like Axes’ physical therapists can get you back to doing what you love most.
What Conditions Can a Spine Specialist in St. Clair, MO Treat Me For?
The American College of Physicians recommends numerous physical therapy treatments for lower back pain and neck pain. Whether you’re dealing with pain on a daily basis or recently sustained a work injury, Axes’ St. Clair, MO spine specialists can help get you feeling great again. Some of the common conditions we help with in St. Clair, MO are:
- Disc Injuries — Herniated discs and bulging discs can be due to either an injury or wear and tear from aging. They can impinge on a nerve which can cause severe pain along your neck and back and limit strength. Degenerative disc disease occurs as a natural result of aging, and can have symptoms similar to herniated discs.
- Sciatica — Sciatica is an umbrella term for irritation of the sciatic nerve, which is our bodies’ longest nerves and originates near your tailbone. Symptoms include immense pain, weakness, and tingling down one side of your body.
- Spinal Stenosis — Stenosis occurs when the space inside your backbone is too small. Symptoms include pain, balance problems, and numbness or tingling in the extremities.
- Spinal Arthritis — Arthritis describes several different types of joint disease. It onsets as the cushioning between the joints degrades over time or from repeated injuries. It can also be caused by autoimmune disorders. There are over 100 types of arthritis, most of which are possible in the spine.
- Axial Back Pain — Also called nonspecific back pain, this refers to pain that doesn’t have a known, recognizable cause. Common causes are obesity or poor posture.
Physical therapy can also help with soft tissue injuries such as whiplash.
Whatever condition is currently ailing you, our St. Clair, MO spine specialists will work with you and your doctor to design a treatment plan, based on proven strategies, and aimed at getting you back to the activities you love and a pain-free life. While some conditions, like arthritis, won’t ever fully go away, physical therapy can be part of a holistic wellness routine that eases symptoms and regains optimal mobility.
If you need surgery on your spine, we offer pre- and post-surgical rehab in St. Clair, MO to help your surgery go as well as possible.
Benefits of Working With a Physical Therapy Spine Specialist in St. Clair, MO
More and more people are turning to physical therapy as a non-invasive treatment plan for a variety of musculoskeletal conditions. According to a study published in the Annals of Internal Medicine, physical therapy is just as effective as surgery for certain types of back pain, without the same recovery time or risk of adverse side-effects. Early intervention by a licensed St. Clair, MO physical therapist is proven to reduce the risk of long-term opioid use.
A knowledgeable and experienced spine specialist will be able to find the root cause of your back problems, and develop a treatment plan based on your injures, your age, and your desired activity level. Through a variety of exercises and manual therapy, physical therapy can limit symptoms, improve the function of your spine by improving strength and flexibility, increase flexibility.
Physical Therapy for Spine Issues
Depending on what is causing your back pain or spine dysfunction, your St. Clair, MO spine specialist at Axes may implement some of the following practices to help get you back to the activities you love:
- Manual Therapy — Our St. Clair, MO manual therapists are experts at using subtle manipulations and stretches to alleviate symptoms and improve function due to spinal issues. Hand-on services we may include in your treatment plan include:
- Guided Exercise — Safe exercises are essential for getting your soft tissue, joints, and bones stronger and more flexible. In addition to managing symptoms now, certain exercises will allow you to maintain a healthy spine while going to work or doing the activities you love most. Effective exercises for spine conditions include:
- Core stabilization
- Postural retraining
- Cardio conditioning
- Strength training
- Home exercise
- Injury Prevention — It’s incredibly frustrating to believe you’re moving on from an injury, only to aggravate it. We’ll educate you about the musculoskeletal system and how yours is being affected, so you can learn how to be active safely. Our injury prevention program includes:
- Patient education
- Lifting education
- Activity modification
Your treatment plan in St. Clair, MO will be holistic and focused on getting you to optimal function and keeping you there. Whatever your treatment plan includes, it will designed based on peer-reviewed studies that those techniques have been proven to work.
Other conditions we help treat in St. Clair, MO include:
- Beginner Running Program
- Chronic Pain Treatment
- MCL Injury
- Shoulder Pain
- Injury Prevention
- Knee Injury
- Joint Pain
Call Axes For Your Spine Specialist Near Me in St. Clair, MO
Don’t allow a spine condition keep you from what you love doing most. At Axes, our St. Clair, MO spine specialists strive for positive patient outcomes. Your pain may not have been your choice, but you do not have to choose to live with it. For a professional and experienced St. Clair, MO spine specialist to treat you, schedule an appointment with Axes Physical Therapy today or reach out to the location most convenient for you