Spine Specialist Near Me in Weldon Spring Heights, MO
Spine specialist near me in Weldon Spring Heights, MO. Lower back issues can make everyday tasks like sitting up difficult, and interrupt how our bodies function. For physically active people, back problems can prevent you from being at peak performance. For workers, it can obstruct your ability to provide for your Weldon Spring Heights, MO loved ones. For others, it can keep us from going on bike ride or other physical activities. Physical therapists who specialize in the spine can help return to the functional and pain-free life you’re looking for. Through safe and proven exercises and treatment plans, Axes Physical Therapy can help you achieve the mobility and pain relief your body needs to be at its best, and that you need to live your best life. If you’re ready to finally be free from debilitating back pain, request an evaluation with an Axes Weldon Spring Heights, MO spine specialist, or get in touch with the Axes location most convenient for you.
Pursuant to Missouri Revised Statute §334.506, a doctor needs to prescribe physical therapy. If you’re recovering from a back or neck injury, or are find that back pain is keeping you from the activities you love, consult with your physician about if physical therapy with a spine specialist in Weldon Spring Heights, MO can be safe and effective for you. You can also come see us for one of Axes’ no-obligation injury screenings.
The Human Spine
The spine supports both our physical bodies, and how our bodies communicate. It extends from the base of your skull to your tailbone. There are several different parts of your spine:
The spine has 33 vertebrae, which are small bones that stack on top of each other to form the spinal canal. The spinal cord and nerves run through holes in the middle of each vertebra. There are five vertebral regions. There are:
- 7 vertebrae in the cervical region (your neck)
- 12 vertebrae in the thoracic region (your middle back)
- 5 vertebrae in the lumbar region (your lower back)
- 5 vertebrae in the sacrum region (the triangle shaped bone that connects to the hips)
- 4 vertebrae in the coccyx region (your tailbone)
The 24 vertebrae in the first 3 regions provide mobility; the others are immobile.
Facet joints connect the vertebrae. They allow your back and neck to perform a variety of movements. They are lined with cartilage and lubricated with synovial fluid, allowing healthy bones and joints to safely glide and slide during movement.
Discs are the flat, round cushions between the vertebrae that act as shock absorbers. There is one disc between each vertebra. Discs have a softer center called the nucleus pulposus, which allows for mobility and absorption, and a tough, circular exterior known as the annulus fibrosus that prevent the gel-like center from leaking out.
The spinal cord consists of nerves running up the bones in your spine, from your brain to your tailbone, where the nerves continue into your lower body. The spinal cord is protected by the vertebrae and other tissue. The nerves extend to other parts of the body through openings in the vertebrae known as the neural foramen. The spinal cord carries messages between our brain and other parts of our body.
Surrounding and within the spine are also muscles, ligaments, and tendons. Ligaments connect vertebrae and holds them in the correct structure. Tendons attach muscles to the vertebrae, and the muscles are what powers the spine’s movement.
A well-functioning spine relies on all of these different structures to function properly and in unison to achieve optimal movement health and a pain free life. Numerous different factors can interfere with the spine and significantly limit your ability to enjoy the activities you love most. If you’re dealing with back pain or spine issues, a spine specialist in Weldon Spring Heights, MO like Axes’ physical therapists can provide safe and effective relief.
What Injuries Can a Spine Specialist in Weldon Spring Heights, MO Help With?
The American College of Physicians recommends certain physical therapy treatments for lower back pain and neck pain. Whether you’re living with chronic pain or recently sustained a work injury, Axes’ Weldon Spring Heights, MO spine specialists can help you live your best life. Some of the common conditions we help with in Weldon Spring Heights, MO are:
- Disc Injuries — Herniated discs and bulging discs can be caused by either acute trauma or wear and tear from aging. They put pressure on a nerve which can be painful and limit function. Degenerative disc disease occurs as a natural result of aging, and greatly decreases flexibility.
- Sciatica — Sciatica refers to a variety of conditions which irritate the sciatic nerve, which is the largest nerve in the body and begins in the lower spine. It can lead to debilitating pain, weakness, and numbness from your buttocks all the way down to your foot.
- Spinal Stenosis — Stenosis occurs when the spinal cavity becomes too narrow and puts pressure on the spinal cord and nerves. It can cause pain, problems with walking or other movements, and numbness or tingling in the extremities.
- Spinal Arthritis — Arthritis describes several different types of joint disease. It occurs as the cushioning between the joints degrades over time or from over-exertion. It can also be caused by autoimmune disorders. There are over 100 types of arthritis, most of which can affect the spine.
- Axial Back Pain — Also known as nonspecific back pain, this refers to pain that doesn’t have a clear, diagnosable cause. Axial back pain can be caused by obesity or poor posture.
Physical therapy can also help with muscle strains, whiplash, and other more acute injuries.
Whatever is causing your back pain or injury, our Weldon Spring Heights, MO spine specialists will form a team with you and your physician to come up with an evidence-backed treatment plan to get you back to the things you love doing most and a pain-free life. While some conditions, like arthritis, won’t ever fully go away, physical therapy can be part of a holistic treatment plan that reduces pain and other symptoms and regains optimal mobility.
If your spine condition requires surgery, we can work with you in your pre- and post-surgical rehab in Weldon Spring Heights, MO to help your surgery go as well as possible.
Benefits of Working With a Physical Therapy Spine Specialist in Weldon Spring Heights, MO
Physical therapy is becoming an increasingly popular non-surgical option for a variety of issues affecting our musculoskeletal system. According to research published in the Annals of Internal Medicine, physical therapy can get the same relief and results for some back pain as surgery, without the same recovery time or risk of adverse side-effects. Early intervention by a licensed Weldon Spring Heights, MO physical therapist has been demonstrated to reduce the risk of long-term opioid use.
A qualified spine specialist will be able to determine what is causing your pain or other issues, and design a treatment plan based on your medical history, your age, and your desired activity level. Through a variety of exercises and manual manipulations, physical therapy can reduce pain, improve the function of your spine by improving strength and flexibility, increase flexibility.
Physical Therapy for Spine Conditions
Depending on what is causing your back pain or other symptoms, your Weldon Spring Heights, MO spine specialist at Axes may implement some of the following practices to help return you to the activities you love:
- Manual Therapy — Our Weldon Spring Heights, MO manual therapists are able to use light pressures and stretches to alleviate symptoms and improve function due to spinal issues. Hand-on services we may incorporate into your treatment plan include:
- Guided Exercise — Safe exercises are crucial for helping you build up strength, flexibility, and balance. In addition to managing pain now, guided exercise will allow you to maintain a healthy spine when you’re on the move. Exercises we might assign include:
- Core stabilization
- Postural retraining
- Cardio conditioning
- Strength training
- Home exercise
- Injury Prevention — There’s nothing worse than believing you’ve gotten past an injury, only to suffer another injury in the future. We help you understand the musculoskeletal system and how yours is being affected, so you can learn how to be active safely. Injury prevention includes:
- Patient education
- Lifting education
- Activity modification
Your treatment plan in Weldon Spring Heights, MO will be holistic and focused on getting you to your best possible movement health and helping you stay there. However we recommend treating your spine condition or back pain, it will be based on peer-reviewed studies that those techniques have been proven to work.
Other conditions we help treat in Weldon Spring Heights, MO include:
- Vestibular Therapy
- Concussion Treatment
- Soft Tissue Mobilization
- Post Surgical Rehabilitation
- Shin Splint Treatment
- Direct Access Physical Therapy
- Gait Analysis
- Pelvic Floor Therapy
- Dry Needling Near Me
- Tendonitis Treatment
Count on Axes For Your Spine Specialist Near Me in Weldon Spring Heights, MO
Don’t let a back injury keep you from living the life you want. At Axes, our Weldon Spring Heights, MO spine specialists strive for positive patient outcomes. You didn’t decide to live with this condition, but you do not have to decide to live with it. For a licensed and knowledgeable Weldon Spring Heights, MO spine specialist to help you, schedule an evaluation with Axes Physical Therapy today or find the location closest to you