Spine Specialist Near Me in Old Jamestown, MO
Spine specialist near me in Old Jamestown, MO. Spinal conditions can make basic tasks like standing up painful, and keep us from our best possible movement health. For athletes, back problems can prevent you from being at the top of their game. For breadwinners, it can prevent you from providing for your Old Jamestown, MO family. For others, it can keep us from taking walks or playing with our grandkids like we love doing. Physical therapists who specialize in the spine can help return to the functional and pain-free life you’re seeking. By developing a custom treatment plan, based on techniques proven to work, Axes Physical Therapy can help you live your best life. If you’re ready to at long last be free from debilitating back pain, schedule an appointment with an Axes Old Jamestown, MO spine specialist, or get in touch with the Axes location most convenient for you.
Missouri law mandates that a prescription is required for physical therapy. If you’re recovering from a back or neck injury, or are find that back pain is disrupting your daily life, consult with your physician about if physical therapy with a spine specialist in Old Jamestown, MO is what you need. You can also come see us for one of Axes’ complimentary injury screenings.
The Human Spine
The spine is our central support structure, and plays a fundamental role in most movements and how the body communicates with itself. It starts at the base of your skull and ends at your pelvis. The spine consists of:
The spine has 33 vertebrae, which are small bones that form the backbone. The spinal cord and nerves run through holes in the middle of each vertebra. The vertebrae are grouped into five regions. There are:
- 7 vertebrae in the cervical region (your neck)
- 12 vertebrae in the thoracic region (your middle back)
- 5 vertebrae in the lumbar region (your lower back)
- 5 vertebrae in the sacrum region (the triangle shaped bone that connects to the hips)
- 4 vertebrae in the coccyx region (your tailbone)
The 24 vertebrae in the first 3 regions are the only ones that can move; the others are fused into place.
Facet joints are the small joints that connect the bony tips of vertebrae on the back of the spine. They allow your back and neck to extend, bend, twist, and rotate. They are lined with cartilage and lubricated with synovial fluid, allowing the bones to move without grinding against each other.
Discs are the circular cushions between the vertebrae that absorb shock and prevent the vertebrae from grinding against each other. There is one disc between each vertebra. Discs have a softer middle known as the nucleus pulposus, which gives them flexibility and allows them to absorb shock, and a tough, circular exterior called the annulus fibrosus that protect the disc and connect the vertebrae.
The spinal cord consists of nerves that travel through the vertebrae, from your brain to your tailbone, where the nerves continue into your lower body. The spinal cord is protected by the vertebral column. The neural foramen are openings in the vertebrae that allow the nerves to go into other parts of the body. The spinal cord carries messages between our brain and other parts of our body.
The spine also has muscles, ligaments, and tendons. Ligaments connect bones together, hold them in place, and give them structure. Muscles are attached to bones by tendons, and power their movement.
Achieving the lifestyle we want depends on all of these parts working together and functioning properly. Numerous different factors can interfere with the spine and severely limit your ability to enjoy the activities you love most. If you’re living with back pain or spine issues, a spine specialist in Old Jamestown, MO like Axes’ physical therapists can provide safe and effective relief.
What Injuries Can a Spine Specialist in Old Jamestown, MO Help With?
The American College of Physicians recommends certain physical therapy treatments for lower back pain and neck pain. Whether you’re dealing with pain on a everyday basis or recently sustained a sports injury, Axes’ Old Jamestown, MO spine specialists can help you live your best life. Some of the common conditions we treat in Old Jamestown, MO are:
- Disc Injuries — Herniated discs and bulging discs can be the result of either acute trauma or wear and tear as we get older. They can impinge on a nerve which can be painful and limit mobility. Degenerative disc disease occurs as the cushioning in your spine wears away, and can have symptoms similar to herniated discs.
- Sciatica — Sciatica refers to a variety of conditions which irritate the sciatic nerve, which is our bodies’ longest nerves and begins in the lower spine. Symptoms include debilitating pain, weakness, and numbness from your buttocks all the way down to your foot.
- Spinal Stenosis — Stenosis occurs when the spinal cavity becomes too narrow and puts pressure on the spinal cord and nerves. It can cause pain, problems with walking or other movements, and numbness or tingling in the extremities.
- Spinal Arthritis — Arthritis describes several different types of joint disease. It occurs as the cartilage between the joints wears down over time or from over-exertion. It can also be caused by autoimmune disorders. The term “arthritis” describes over a hundred conditions, most of which can affect the facet joints of the spine.
- Axial Back Pain — Also known as nonspecific back pain, this refers to pain isn’t brought on by a clear, diagnosable cause. Nonspecific back pain can be caused by obesity or poor posture.
Physical therapy is also an effective treatment option for muscle strains, whiplash, and other more acute injuries.
Whatever condition is currently ailing you, our Old Jamestown, MO spine specialists will work with you and your physician to design an evidence-backed treatment plan to get you back to the things you love doing most and a more comfortable life. While some conditions, like degenerative disc disease, can’t be “cured,” physical therapy can be part of a holistic wellness routine that eases symptoms and achieves optimal mobility.
If what’s ailing you requires surgery, we can work with you in your pre- and post-surgical rehab in Old Jamestown, MO to help your surgery go as well as possible.
What a Physical Therapy Spine Specialist Can Do For Me in Old Jamestown, MO
More and more people are turning to physical therapy as a non-invasive treatment plan for a variety of musculoskeletal conditions. According to a study published in the Annals of Internal Medicine, physical therapy is just as effective as surgery for certain types of back pain, and doesn’t involve the same risk of complications. Early intervention by a licensed Old Jamestown, MO physical therapist is proven to reduce long-term opioid dependence.
A professional spine specialist will be able to find the root cause of your back problems, and build a treatment plan based on your medical history, your age, and your desired activity level. Through a variety of exercises and techniques, physical therapy can reduce pain, help your spine and nervous system function better, enhance range of motion.
Physical Therapy for Spine Problems
Depending on what is causing your back pain or other symptoms, your Old Jamestown, MO spine specialist at Axes may include some of the following in your treatment plan:
- Hands-On Care — Our Old Jamestown, MO manual therapists are experts at using subtle pressures and stretches to alleviate symptoms and improve function caused by muscle or joint dysfunction. Manual therapy we may use to help you include:
- Guided Exercise — Safe exercises are crucial for helping you build up strength, flexibility, and balance. Beyond limiting pain now, guided exercise will allow you to maintain a healthy spine while going to work or doing the activities you love most. Effective exercises for spine conditions include:
- Core stabilization
- Postural retraining
- Cardio conditioning
- Strength training
- Home exercise
- Injury Prevention — It’s incredibly frustrating to feel like you’ve overcome an injury, only to aggravate it. We help you understand your injury and how it affects your body’s function, so you can learn how to be active safely. Injury prevention includes:
- Patient education
- Lifting education
- Activity modification
Your treatment plan in Old Jamestown, MO will be holistic and focused on getting you to your best possible function and helping you stay there. However we recommend treating your spine condition or back pain, it will designed based on proven techniques.
Other conditions we help treat in Old Jamestown, MO include:
- Beginner Running Program
- Chronic Pain Treatment
- MCL Injury
- Shoulder Pain
- Injury Prevention
- Knee Injury
- Joint Pain
Call Axes For Your Spine Specialist Near Me in Old Jamestown, MO
Don’t allow a back injury keep you from what you love doing most. At Axes, our Old Jamestown, MO spine specialists are dedicated to positive patient outcomes. You didn’t decide to live with back pain, but you do not have to decide to live with it. For a licensed and qualified Old Jamestown, MO spine specialist to help you, schedule an evaluation with Axes Physical Therapy today or find the location most convenient for you