Spine Specialist Near Me in Moselle, MO
Spine specialist near me in Moselle, MO. Spinal conditions can make basic activities like bending over excruciating, and interrupt how our bodies function. For people who play sports, back problems can keep you from being at peak performance. For workers, it can obstruct your ability to put food on the table for your Moselle, MO loved ones. For others, it can prevent us from going on bike ride or playing with our grandkids as we’d like to. Physical therapists who specialize in the spine can help return to what you love doing most. Through safe and proven exercises and treatment plans, Axes Physical Therapy can help you achieve the movement health and pain relief your body needs to be at its best, and that you need to live your best life. If you’re ready to at long last be free from debilitating back pain, request an evaluation with an Axes Moselle, MO spine specialist, or call the Axes location most convenient for you.
Missouri law requires a prescription for physical therapy. If you’re recovering from a back or neck injury, or are find that back pain is disrupting your daily life, ask your doctor if physical therapy with a spine specialist in Moselle, MO can be safe and effective for you. In the meantime, come see us for one of Axes’ free injury screenings.
The Human Spine
The spine supports both our physical bodies, and how our bodies communicate. It begins at the base of your brain and ends at your pelvis. There are several different parts of your spine:
The spine has 33 vertebrae, which are small bones that form the backbone. Every vertebra has a hole in the middle to protect the spinal cord and its nerves. The vertebrae are grouped into five regions. There are:
- 7 vertebrae in the cervical region (your neck)
- 12 vertebrae in the thoracic region (your middle back)
- 5 vertebrae in the lumbar region (your lower back)
- 5 vertebrae in the sacrum region (the triangle shaped bone that connects to the hips)
- 4 vertebrae in the coccyx region (your tailbone)
The 24 vertebrae in the cervical, thoracic, and lumbar regions are the only ones that can move; the others are immobile.
Each vertebra is connected to two facet joints which connect the bones to each other. They allow your back and neck to extend, bend, twist, and rotate. Between the joints and bones are cartilage and synovial fluid, allowing healthy bones and joints to safely glide and slide during movement.
Discs are the circular cushions between the vertebrae that absorb the stress and shock the body incurs when moving. Every two vertebrae have one disc between them. Discs have a “gel-like” center known as the nucleus pulposus, which gives them flexibility and allows them to absorb shock, and a tough, circular exterior known as the annulus fibrosus that protect the disc and connect the vertebrae.
The spinal cord is a collection of nerves that travel through the vertebrae, extending from the brain to your lumbar region, where the nerves continue into your lower extremities. The spinal cord is protected by the vertebrae and other tissue. The nerves branch out to other parts of the body through holes in the vertebrae known as the neural foramen. The spinal cord allows our brain to tell our bodies to move, and our brains to receive sensory information from our body.
The spine also has various types of soft tissue. Ligaments connect bones together, hold them in place, and give them structure. Tendons attach muscles to the vertebrae, and the muscles are what powers the spine’s movement.
A well-functioning spine needs all of these systems to to work together to achieve optimal movement health and a pain free life. A variety of conditions can interfere with the spine and severely limit your ability to enjoy the activities you love most. If you’re living with back pain or spine issues, a spine specialist in Moselle, MO like Axes’ physical therapists can get you back to the lifestyle you desire.
What Injuries Can a Spine Specialist in Moselle, MO Help With?
The American College of Physicians recommends certain physical therapy treatments for lower back pain and neck pain. Whether you’re dealing with pain on a daily basis or recently sustained a sports injury, Axes’ Moselle, MO spine specialists can help get you feeling great again. Some of the common conditions we treat in Moselle, MO are:
- Disc Injuries — Herniated discs and bulging discs can be the result of either acute trauma or wear and tear from aging. They can impinge on a nerve which can cause severe pain along your neck and back and limit strength. Degenerative disc disease occurs as a natural result of aging, and can have symptoms similar to herniated discs.
- Sciatica — Sciatica refers to a variety of conditions which irritate the sciatic nerve, which is the largest nerve in the body and originates near your tailbone. It can cause to immense pain, weakness, and tingling down one side of your body.
- Spinal Stenosis — Stenosis occurs when the spinal cavity becomes too narrow and puts pressure on the spinal cord and nerves. Symptoms include pain, balance problems, and loss of sensation in your hands or feet.
- Spinal Arthritis — Arthritis is the inflammation of the facet joints. It occurs as the cartilage between the joints wears down over time or from overuse. Obesity, autoimmune disorders, and other conditions can also lead to arthritis. The term “arthritis” describes over a hundred conditions, most of which are possible in the spine.
- Axial Back Pain — Also called nonspecific back pain, this refers to pain that doesn’t have a clear, diagnosable cause. Axial back pain can be caused by obesity or poor posture.
Physical therapy can also help with soft tissue injuries such as whiplash.
Whatever condition is currently ailing you, our Moselle, MO spine specialists will form a team with you and your doctor to design a treatment plan, based on proven strategies, and aimed at getting you back to the things you love doing most and a pain-free life. While some conditions, like degenerative disc disease, can’t be “cured,” physical therapy can be part of a comprehensive wellness routine that reduces pain and other symptoms and regains optimal mobility.
If what’s ailing you requires surgery, we offer pre- and post-surgical rehab in Moselle, MO to help your surgery go as well as possible.
What a Physical Therapy Spine Specialist Can Do For Me in Moselle, MO
More and more people are turning to physical therapy as a non-surgical option for a variety of issues affecting our musculoskeletal system. According to a study published in the Annals of Internal Medicine, physical therapy is just as effective as surgery for certain types of back pain, and doesn’t involve the same recovery time or risk of adverse side-effects. Early intervention by a licensed Moselle, MO physical therapist is proven to reduce long-term opioid dependence.
A knowledgeable and experienced spine specialist will be able to determine what is causing your pain or other issues, and design a treatment plan based on your injures, your age, and your desired activity level. Through a variety of exercises and manual manipulations, physical therapy can limit symptoms, improve the function of your spine by improving strength and flexibility, increase flexibility.
Physical Therapy for Spine Conditions
Depending on your specific condition, your Moselle, MO spine specialist at Axes may implement some of the following practices to help return you to the activities you love:
- Manual Therapy — Our Moselle, MO manual therapists are able to use light manipulations and stretches to alleviate symptoms and improve function due to spinal issues. Hand-on services we may use to help you include:
- Guided Exercise — Safe exercises are essential for helping you build up strength, flexibility, and balance. In addition to decreasing symptoms now, guided exercise will also help overall function and improve movement health. Effective exercises for spine conditions include:
- Core stabilization
- Postural retraining
- Cardio conditioning
- Strength training
- Home exercise
- Injury Prevention — It’s beyond frustrating to believe you’re moving on from an injury, only to aggravate it. We help you understand your injury and how it affects your body’s function, so you’ll know how to protect your spine while being active. Our injury prevention program includes:
- Patient education
- Lifting education
- Activity modification
Your treatment plan in Moselle, MO will be comprehensive and focused on getting you to your best possible function and helping you stay there. However we recommend treating your spine condition or back pain, it will designed based on peer-reviewed studies that those techniques have been proven to work.
Other conditions we help treat in Moselle, MO include:
- Soft Tissue Mobilization
- Post Surgical Rehabilitation
- Shin Splint Treatment
- Direct Access Physical Therapy
- Gait Analysis
- Pelvic Floor Therapy
- Dry Needling Near Me
- Tendonitis Treatment
- Manual Physical Therapy
- Orthopedic Rehab Near Me
Count on Axes For Your Spine Specialist Near Me in Moselle, MO
Don’t let a spine condition keep you from living the life you want. At Axes, our Moselle, MO spine specialists strive for positive patient outcomes. Your pain may not have been your choice, but you can choose to do something about it. For a professional and knowledgeable Moselle, MO spine specialist to treat you, request an evaluation with Axes Physical Therapy now or contact the location closest to you