Spine Specialist Near Me in Crescent, MO
Spine specialist near me in Crescent, MO. Spinal conditions can make everyday tasks like bending over difficult, and keep us from our best possible movement health. For athletes, back issues can keep you from being at peak performance. For workers, it can hinder your ability to put food on the table for your Crescent, MO loved ones. For others, it can prevent us from taking walks or playing with our children like we love doing. Physical therapists who specialize in the spine can help you get back to what you love doing most. By developing a personalized treatment plan, based on techniques proven to work, Axes Physical Therapy can help you achieve the strength, flexibility, and pain relief your body needs to function, and that you need to live your best life. If you’re prepared to finally move on from debilitating back pain, request an evaluation with an Axes Crescent, MO spine specialist, or call the Axes location most convenient for you.
Missouri Revised Statute §334.506 requires a prescription for physical therapy. If you’re dealing with a recent injury or find that back pain is keeping you from the activities you love, consult with your physician about if physical therapy with a spine specialist in Crescent, MO can be safe and effective for you. In the meantime, come see us for one of Axes’ free injury screenings.
The Human Spine
The spine is our central support structure, and plays a fundamental role in most movements and how the body communicates with itself. It begins at the base of your skull and ends at your pelvis. There are several different parts of your spine:
There are 33 vertebrae from the top to bottom of the spine, which are small bones that form the backbone. Every vertebra has a hole in the center to protect the spinal cord and its nerves. There are five vertebral groups. There are:
- 7 vertebrae in the cervical region (your neck)
- 12 vertebrae in the thoracic region (your middle back)
- 5 vertebrae in the lumbar region (your lower back)
- 5 vertebrae in the sacrum region (the triangle shaped bone that connects to the hips)
- 4 vertebrae in the coccyx region (your tailbone)
The 24 vertebrae in the cervical, thoracic, and lumbar regions provide mobility; the others are immobile.
Facet joints are the small joints that connect the bony tips of vertebrae on the back of the spine. They allow your back and neck to perform a variety of movements. Between the joints and bones are cartilage and synovial fluid, allowing healthy bones and joints to safely glide and slide during movement.
Discs are the flat, round cushions between the vertebrae that absorb shock and prevent the vertebrae from grinding against each other. Every two vertebrae have one disc between them. Discs have a softer center called the nucleus pulposus, which allows for mobility and absorption, and a tough, circular exterior called the annulus fibrosus that surrounds and protects the nucleus pulposus.
The spinal cord consists of nerves running up the bones in your spine, from your brain to your tailbone, where the nerves continue into your lower body. The spinal cord is protected by spinal fluid and a membrane called dura mater. The nerves branch out to other parts of the body through openings in the vertebrae called the neural foramen. The spinal cord is how our bodies and brains communicate.
Surrounding and within the spine are also various types of soft tissue. Ligaments connect bones together and holds them in the correct structure. Tendons attach muscles to the vertebrae, and the muscles are what powers the spine’s movement.
Achieving the lifestyle we want depends on all of these parts working together and functioning properly. A variety of conditions can make the spine damaged or unhealthy, which can significantly limit your ability to enjoy the things you love doing. When that happens, a spine specialist in Crescent, MO like Axes’ physical therapists can get you back to doing what you love most.
What Injuries Can a Spine Specialist in Crescent, MO Help With?
The American College of Physicians developed guidelines that include numerous physical therapy treatments for lower back pain and neck pain. Whether you’re living with chronic pain or recently suffered a sports injury, Axes’ Crescent, MO spine specialists can help you live your best life. Some of the common conditions we treat in Crescent, MO include:
- Disc Injuries — Herniated discs and bulging discs can be the result of either an injury or general degradation as we get older. They can impinge on a nerve which can be painful and limit mobility. Degenerative disc disease occurs as a natural result of aging, and can have symptoms similar to herniated discs.
- Sciatica — Sciatica is an umbrella term for irritation of the sciatic nerve, which is the largest nerve in the body and originates near your tailbone. Symptoms include debilitating pain, weakness, and tingling through your buttock and leg.
- Spinal Stenosis — Stenosis occurs when the vertebral column is too small. Symptoms include pain, issues with walking or other movements, and loss of sensation in the extremities.
- Spinal Arthritis — Arthritis is swelling or tenderness in one or more joints. It occurs as the cushioning between the joints wears down over time or from repeated injuries. Obesity, autoimmune disorders, and other conditions can also lead to arthritis. The term “arthritis” describes over a hundred conditions, most of which can affect the facet joints of the spine.
- Axial Back Pain — Also referred to as nonspecific back pain, this refers to pain that doesn’t have a known, recognizable cause. Nonspecific back pain can be caused by obesity or poor posture.
Physical therapy is also an effective treatment option for muscle strains, whiplash, and other more acute injuries.
Whatever is causing your back pain or injury, our Crescent, MO spine specialists will form a team with you and your physician to develop an evidence-backed treatment plan to get you back to the activities you love and a pain-free life. While some conditions, like stenosis, can’t be “cured,” physical therapy can be part of a holistic wellness routine that reduces pain and other symptoms and regains optimal mobility.
If you need surgery on your spine, we can work with you in your pre- and post-surgical rehab in Crescent, MO to help get the best results possible.
What a Physical Therapy Spine Specialist Can Do For Me in Crescent, MO
More and more people are turning to physical therapy as a non-surgical option for a variety of musculoskeletal conditions. According to a study published By the American College of Physicians, physical therapy is just as effective as surgery for certain types of back pain, without the same recovery time or risk of adverse side-effects. Early intervention by a licensed Crescent, MO physical therapist has been demonstrated to reduce long-term opioid dependence.
A professional spine specialist will be able to find the root cause of your back problems, and build a treatment plan based on your medical history, your age, and the lifestyle you wish to achieve or get back to. Through a variety of exercises and techniques, physical therapy can limit symptoms, improve the function of your spine by improving strength and flexibility, enhance flexibility.
Physical Therapy for Spine Problems
Depending on what is causing your back pain or other symptoms, your Crescent, MO spine specialist at Axes may implement some of the following practices to help return you to the activities you love:
- Hands-On Care — Our Crescent, MO manual therapists are experts at using subtle pressures and stretches to decrease back pain caused by muscle or joint dysfunction. Manual therapy we may incorporate into your treatment plan include:
- Guided Exercise — Safe exercises are crucial for getting your body stronger and more flexible. Beyond managing pain now, guided exercise will also help overall function and improve movement health. Effective exercises for spine conditions include:
- Core stabilization
- Postural retraining
- Cardio conditioning
- Strength training
- Home exercise
- Injury Prevention — It’s incredibly frustrating to feel like you’ve gotten past an injury, only to aggravate it. We help you understand your injury and how it affects your body’s function, so you can learn how to be active safely. Injury prevention includes:
- Patient education
- Lifting education
- Activity modification
Your treatment plan in Crescent, MO will be based not on just recovery or pain relief, but on getting you to optimal function and keeping you there. Whatever your treatment plan includes, it will be based on peer-reviewed studies that those techniques have been proven to work.
Other services we offer in Crescent, MO include:
- Beginner Running Program
- Chronic Pain Treatment
- MCL Injury
- Shoulder Pain
- Injury Prevention
- Knee Injury
- Joint Pain
Call Axes For Your Spine Specialist Near Me in Crescent, MO
Don’t allow a spine condition prevent you from the activities you love. At Axes, our Crescent, MO spine specialists strive for positive patient outcomes. Your pain may not have been your choice, but you can choose to do something about it. For a professional and knowledgeable Crescent, MO spine specialist to treat you, request an evaluation with Axes Physical Therapy today or reach out to the location most convenient for you