Mobility in Bloomsdale, MO. Our bodies are meant to move. But sometimes, our bodies don’t work the way they should and it impedes us from doing what we love most. While losing your independence because of losing your mobility can affect our mental health as well, Axes Physical Therapy in Bloomsdale, MO can develop safe, effective, and evidence-backed solutions that are tailored specifically to you, your age, and your desired activity level. Whether your mobility is limited because of an injury, a disease, or an impairment in your musculoskeletal skeleton such as sciatica, begin your journey to optimal movement health and meaningful pain relief now by scheduling a mobility and injury analysis with Axes today or calling the location nearest you.
The dictionary defines mobility as, “the ability to move… freely and easily.” For some of us that looks like picking up their grandchildren without pain, while others need to get back to sprinting down the basketball court on a fast break. Whatever it means to you, if your mobility is severely restricted consult with your doctor to see if physical therapy is the right choice for you.
Functional Mobility in Bloomsdale, MO
Functional mobility is the capacity one has to complete basic tasks. This includes anything from rolling over in bed or walking up a flight of stairs. Fundamentally, functional mobility is typically though of in three different ways:
- Bed mobility — Whether or not you are able to to scoot, roll, and get in and out of bed comfortably.
- Transfers — Whether or not you are able to move from one place to a different one, for example from a chair, bed, or sofa to another.
- Ambulation — If you can walk on your own while having objects in your hands.
If you currently need assistance to be functionally mobile, the Bloomsdale, MO physical and occupational therapists at Axes are devoted to helping you regain your independence. Whether the condition affecting you is an ACL tear, arthritis or other joint pain, or even a a progressive disorder like Parkinson’s disease, we’ll create a tailor-made plan that safely and correctly helps you reach optimal mobility. Part of your treatment will likely be simple and safe strengthening, balance, and flexibility exercises. Our therapists are also experts vestibular therapy to help with vestibular disorders that cause sensory dysfunction.
The seven level Functional Independence Measure (FIM) is the staple of how to assess functional mobility in Bloomsdale, MO:
- Complete independence, meaning you can move in a certain way safely and in a timely manner
- Modified independence, meaning you can perform certain movements but only with an assistive device
- Stand-by assist, meaning you can perform the movement by yourself but need someone to monitor you to prevent risk of injury
- Minimal assistance, meaning you can exert 75% of the effort needed to complete the task or more while someone else helps you the rest of the way
- Moderate assistance, meaning you can perform about half of the work required
- Maximal assistance, meaning you can complete about 25% of the task independently
- Total assistance or not testable, meaning you are unable to put in a quarter of the effort required, or that the activity is not safe to test
At Axes Physical Therapy in Bloomsdale, MO, your personalized treatment plan may include safely taking you up through the seven levels, or at least to the highest level possible. All of our treatment plans are proven to be safe and effective through extensive clinical studies, and when you and your licensed physical therapist first meet, they will perform a comprehensive evaluation of your health to verify that the exercises we use are safe for someone suffering from the same ailment you are.
Beyond Functional Mobility in Bloomsdale, MO
Needless to say, simply rolling over in bed independently does not define optimal movement health for many of us. There are doubles to hit in your softball league, fun activities to share with your family, and the vocational tasks you need to perform every day so that you can put food on the table for your Bloomsdale, MO family. At Axes, our occupational and physical therapists can help any individual achieve the activity level they desire. Our services also include:
- Occupational therapy — Our Bloomsdale, MO occupational therapists are an essential part of getting you back to work after a work-related injury. We team up with you and your physician, insurance carrier, attorney and employer so you can get back to helping our Bloomsdale, MO community and supporting your family as you want to. Our advanced work rehabilitation includes Functional Capacity Evaluations to ascertain what functional capacities you are capable of.
- Sports therapy — Every athletes worst nightmare is a sudden injury that keeps them off the field or court for anywhere from a couple weeks to a year. If you suffer an ACL tear, rotator cuff tear, or other sports injury, Axes Physical Therapy in Bloomsdale, MO will help you regain your mobility and get you back on the field or court as soon as is safely possible. Our Certified Athletic Trainers also specialize in injury prevention to help you avoid re-injury.
- Pre/post surgical rehabilitation — Surgery is a complex and nerve-racking procedure for anyone. Whether your surgery is elective or medically necessary, we’ll work with your physician and surgeons to form a complete surgical team to ease your worry, and develop an effective game plan to restore optimal mobility.
However limited you currently are in your mobility, and the extent to wish you want to improve it, consult with your Bloomsdale, MO doctor about whether they think getting you a prescription for physical therapy is right for you, or come see us for a free injury screening from a professional physical or occupational therapist.
How a Physical Therapist in Bloomsdale, MO Can Help Improve Your Mobility
The four determinants of mobility are our strength, flexibility, range of motion, and balance:
- Strength — While physical therapy is effective at rebuilding and maintaining strength, it also helps achieve muscle balance. Achieving proportionately strong muscles around joints is essential in preventing injury and improving your mobility.
- Flexibility and range of motion — To reach the movement health and lifestyle we desire, not only do our muscles need to have the strength to control bones, but our muscles, tendons, and other soft tissue need to be able to lengthen, and our joints need to be able to perform a wide variety of movements.
- Balance — Frequent causes of balance issues are:
A professional physical therapist in Bloomsdale, MO will be able to identify the source of your mobility issues and come up with a treatment plan, based on empirical research to improve your movement health. In addition to restorative strength, flexibility, and core exercises, other evidence-backed techniques may include:
- Soft tissue mobilization
- Kinesio Taping®
- Trigger point dry needling
- Blood flow restriction training
- Posture correction and teaching good posture
If required, a physical therapist in Bloomsdale, MO can also mold your very own medically accepted assistive devices such as splints, braces, crutches, or canes in order to aid you in your mobility and reduce risk of injury.
How Physical Therapy in Bloomsdale, MO Helps Beyond Mobility
Physical therapy does more than just increase mobility. As we work to reach optimal movement health, you’ll also enjoy:
- Pain relief, whether from an injury or pain that is chronic in nature without the need of costly and potentially habit forming prescription drugs
- If applicable, the potential to avoid a surgical procedure by motivating your body to heal on its own
- Patient education, including physical therapy techniques you can safely do at home, what you can do to prevent injuries, and the best postures for improved mobility
- Encouraging better physical health, carries with it the benefits of enhanced energy, decreases your odds of developing heart disease, contributes to a healthy weight, makes you feel better, and promotes better sleep
Other services we offer in Bloomsdale, MO include:
- Shoulder Pain
- Injury Prevention
- Knee Injury
- Joint Pain
- Dry Needling
- ACL Tear
- Pain Management
- Rotator Cuff Tear
Mobility in Bloomsdale, MO | Axes Physical Therapy
Whether you need hand therapy in order to make it easier for you to do basic everyday things, are looking for meaningful pain management for sciatica, or need to return to optimal movement health following a devastating injury, Axes’ team of licensed physical and occupational therapists is here to help you get back to the activities you love. We pride ourselves on our client-centered approach. To get back your independence and active lifestyle, request an appointment with Axes Physical Therapy today or find the location most convenient for you.