Mobility in Foristell, MO. Our bodies are meant to to make walking and other movements easy. But sometimes, our bodies don’t work the way they should and it prevents us from our favorite activities, or even just being able to carry out or daily live pain-free. While that loss of physical mobility can affect our mental health as well, Axes Physical Therapy in Foristell, MO can provide you with safe, effective, and evidence-backed solutions that are tailored specifically to you and your needs. Regardless of whether your mobility is limited because of acute trauma, a chronic condition, or a musculoskeletal problem such as sciatica, begin your journey to your best possible movement health and a pain-free daily life as soon as possible by scheduling a free evaluation with Axes today or calling the location nearest you.
The dictionary defines mobility as, “the ability to move… freely and easily.” For some people that looks like rolling over in bed without pain, while others need to get back to sprinting down the basketball court on a fast break. Whatever mobility means to you, if can’t complete the activities you want to consult with a physician about professional physical therapy and movement health services.
Functional Mobility in Foristell, MO
Functional mobility refers to a person’s ability to safely move around in their home environment. This can be anything from moving around in bed or carrying a cup of coffee to another room and sitting on the couch. In general, functional mobility can be broken down into three categories:
- Bed mobility — Your ability to scoot, roll, and get in and out of bed pain-free.
- Transfers — Your ability to switch between places, for example from one chair to another.
- Ambulation — Your ability to walk freely without the need of assistance. This also includes walking while being able to carry objects.
While the injury or condition impeding your functional mobility may mean that you currently rely on assistance in order to operate in your daily life, the Foristell, MO physical and occupational therapists at Axes are devoted to helping you restore your autonomy. Whether you currently lack full functional mobility as a result of an ACL tear, arthritis or other joint pain, or even a central nervous system disorder like Parkinson’s disease, we’ll guide you through your journey to the best possible mobility. Part of your treatment will likely be simple and safe strengthening, balance, and flexibility training. Our therapists are also highly trained in vestibular therapy to help with vestibular disorders that cause sensory dysfunction.
The seven level Functional Independence Measure (FIM) is the main way to evaluate functional mobility in Foristell, MO:
- Complete independence, meaning you can complete a specified task safely and in a timely manner
- Modified independence, meaning you can perform specific movements but only with an assistive device
- Stand-by assist, meaning you can complete the task by yourself but need someone to monitor you for safety
- Minimal assistance, meaning you can do 75% or more while someone else does the rest
- Moderate assistance, meaning you can perform about 50% of the work required
- Maximal assistance, meaning you can complete about 25% of the task independently
- Total assistance or not testable, meaning you can complete less than 25% of the task, or that the activity is not safe to test
At Axes Physical Therapy in Foristell, MO, your personalized treatment plan may include gradually allowing you more and more independence until you get the highest level you can. All of our methods are proven to be safe and effective through extensive clinical studies, and at your first appointment with your professional physical therapist, they will perform a comprehensive evaluation of your health to confirm that the treatment modalities we use are safe for someone suffering from the same ailment you are.
Beyond Functional Mobility in Foristell, MO
To be sure, simply rolling over in bed pain-free does not define optimal movement health for many of us. There are doubles to hit in your softball league, your children to play with, and the vocational tasks you need to perform every day so that you can earn a living for your Foristell, MO family. At Axes, we offer comprehensive physical and occupational physical therapy that can help any individual reach the optimal movement health they need to get back to the activities they love. Our services also include:
- Occupational therapy — Our Foristell, MO occupational therapists are an essential part of getting you back to work after a work-related injury. We team up with you and your physician, insurance carrier, workers’ compensation lawyer and employer so you can get back to helping our Foristell, MO community and supporting your family as you want to. Our advanced work rehabilitation includes Functional Capacity Evaluations to determine if you are ready to return to your job.
- Sports therapy — The last thing anyone who loves playing sports wants to experience is a sudden fall or collision that keeps them inactive and limited for anywhere from a couple weeks to a year. Our Foristell, MO physical therapy team knows how to help those who are sidelined because of ACL tears, rotator cuff tears, and a variety of other injuries. Our Certified Athletic Trainers are big believers in teaching injury prevention to help you reduce the risk of having to go through an injury again.
- Pre/post surgical rehabilitation — Surgery and your recovery from it are delicate matters that make anyone nervous. Whether your surgery is elective or medically necessary, we’ll team up with the doctors recommending and performing your surgery to help you feel confident in your treatment, and develop an effective strategy to get the best possible outcome from your procedure.
However limited you currently are in your mobility, and the extent to wish you want to improve it, consult with your Foristell, MO doctor about what physical therapy can do for you, or visit one of our locations for a no-obligation injury screening from a professional physical or occupational therapist.
How a Physical Therapist in Foristell, MO Can Help Improve Your Mobility
Our mobility is based on our strength, flexibility, range of motion, and balance:
- Strength — While physical therapy is effective at rebuilding and maintaining strength, it also helps achieve muscle balance. Having equal muscle balance around joints is essential in preventing injury and improving your mobility.
- Flexibility and range of motion — To improve our mobility to the highest level we can, our muscles, ligaments, and other soft tissue need to be able to lengthen so that the joints they control and protect can function properly.
- Balance — Balance issues are commonly caused by:
A licensed physical therapist in Foristell, MO will find the root of your mobility issues and come up with a safe and effective treatment plan to get you back to the activities you love. Beyond therapeutic strength, flexibility, and core exercises, We can help you improve your mobility with:
- Soft tissue mobilization
- Kinesio Taping®
- Trigger point dry needling
- Blood flow restriction training
- Posture correction and good posture education
If necessary, a physical therapist in Foristell, MO can also fit you for medically accepted assistive devices such as splints, braces, crutches, or canes in order to help you achieve the best possible mobility.
How Physical Therapy in Foristell, MO Helps Beyond Mobility
Physical therapy does more than just increase mobility. Your personalized treatment plans:
- Pain relief for both acute and chronic conditions without having to use prescription medications
- If applicable, the opportunity to avoid a surgical procedure by motivating your body to heal on its own
- Patient education, including exercises you can safely do at home, injury prevention techniques, and the best postures for improved mobility
- Encouraging better physical health, which leads to enhanced energy, decreases your odds of developing cardiovascular disease, helps control weight, improves your mood, and encourages your body to get a full 8 hours of sleep
Other services we offer in Foristell, MO include:
- Shoulder Pain
- Injury Prevention
- Knee Injury
- Joint Pain
- Dry Needling
- ACL Tear
- Pain Management
- Rotator Cuff Tear
Mobility in Foristell, MO | Axes Physical Therapy
Whether you are looking for hand therapy in order to make it easier for you to use a computer, are in need of meaningful pain management for joint problems, or want to return to your active lifestyle following acute trauma, Axes’ team of licensed physical and occupational therapists will develop and implement the treatment plan that works best for you. We take a an approach that focuses on personalized treatment. To restore the level of mobility you deserve, request an appointment with Axes Physical Therapy today or call the location nearest for you.