Mobility in Des Peres, MO. Our bodies are designed to move. But sometimes, our mobility is impeded and it impedes us from the activities we love. While that loss of physical mobility also have an impact on our emotional well-being, Axes Physical Therapy in Des Peres, MO can provide you with safe, effective, and evidence-backed solutions that are built specifically to getting you back to the life you want to live. Whether your mobility limitations are the result of an injury, a disease, or an impairment in your musculoskeletal structure such as sciatica, take the first steps in optimal movement health and meaningful pain relief now by scheduling a mobility and injury analysis with Axes today or calling the the one of our multiple locations most convenient for you.
The dictionary defines mobility as, “the ability to move… freely and easily.” For some Des Peres, MO residents that is as simple as picking up their kids comfortably, while others need to get back to making a diving catch in their softball league. Whatever you need to improve your movement health for, if can’t complete the activities you want to speak with your doctor about professional physical therapy and movement health services.
Functional Mobility in Des Peres, MO
Functional mobility is the capacity one has to complete basic tasks. This can be simple tasks such as moving around in bed or walking up a flight of stairs. In general, functional mobility can be broken down into three categories:
- Bed mobility — Whether or not you are able to to comfortably move around in bed, including rolling, scooting, sitting up, and lying down.
- Transfers — Your ability to switch between surfaces, for example from one chair to another.
- Ambulation — Whether or not you can walk, and can do so while carrying things.
While the injury or condition affecting your functional mobility may mean that you currently rely on assistance in order to operate in your daily life, the Des Peres, MO physical and occupational therapists at Axes are devoted to helping you regain your autonomy. Whether you currently lack full functional mobility as a result of a sports injuryan rotator cuff tear tear, arthritis or other joint pain, or even a a progressive disorder like Parkinson’s disease, we’ll guide you through your journey to optimal mobility. Part of your treatment will likely be simple and safe strengthening, balance, and flexibility exercises. We also offer vestibular therapy to help with vestibular disorders that cause dizziness and vertigo.
The seven level Functional Independence Measure (FIM) is the main way to determine functional mobility in Des Peres, MO:
- Complete independence, meaning you can achieve specific mobility thresholds safely and in a timely manner
- Modified independence, meaning you can perform certain movements but only with a walker, a cane, or crutches
- Supervision, meaning you can perform the movement by yourself but need someone close by so you don’t hurt yourself
- Minimal assistance, meaning you can do 75% or more while someone else does the rest
- Moderate assistance, meaning you can perform about half of the work needed
- Maximal assistance, meaning you can complete about 25% of the task without assistance
- Total assistance or not testable, meaning you are unable to put in a quarter of the work required, or that the activity is not safe to test
At Axes Physical Therapy in Des Peres, MO, your customized treatment plan may include gradually allowing you more and more independence until you get the highest level you can. All of our treatment plans are based on what research says works best for you, and your dedicated physical therapist will begin your mobility treatment with a thorough examination of your health to verify that the treatment modalities we have in mind for you are safe for someone suffering from the same ailment you are.
Beyond Functional Mobility in Des Peres, MO
To be sure, many of us desire a higher level of movement health than just walking up the stairs pain-free. There are pickleball leagues to dominate, your children to play with, and the vocational tasks you need to perform every day in order to provide for your Des Peres, MO family. At Axes, we offer comprehensive physical and occupational physical therapy that can help any individual achieve the activity level they desire. We also offer:
- Occupational therapy — Our Des Peres, MO occupational therapists are an essential part of getting you back to work after a work-related injury. We team up with you and your physician, insurance carrier, attorney and employer so you can get back to being an integral member of our Des Peres, MO community and supporting your family as you always have. Our advanced work rehabilitation includes Functional Capacity Evaluations to determine what functional capacities you are capable of.
- Sports therapy — The last thing any athlete wants to experience is an unexpected pop or crack that sidelines them and keeps them from what they love for weeks, months, or longer. Our Des Peres, MO physical therapy team is experienced in helping those who are sidelined because of ACL tears, rotator cuff tears, and a variety of other injuries. Our Certified Athletic Trainers are big believers in teaching injury prevention to help you reduce the risk of having to go through an injury again.
- Pre/post surgical rehabilitation — Surgery makes anyone anxious. Whether your surgery is elective or medically necessary, we’ll work with your physician and surgeons to form a complete surgical team to ease your worry, and develop a proven game plan to get the best possible outcome from your procedure.
Whatever the current level of mobility, and the level of improved mobility you desire, consult with your Des Peres, MO doctor about whether or not physical therapy is a good option for you, or come see us for a no-obligation injury screening from a licensed physical or occupational therapist.
How a Physical Therapist in Des Peres, MO Can Help Improve Your Mobility
Our mobility is based on our strength, flexibility, range of motion, and balance:
- Strength — While physical therapy can help rebuild muscle after an injury and slow the weakening of muscles as we age, it also helps to make sure no muscle is stronger or weaker than it should be in relation to the muscles around it. Surrounding our joints with healthy and equally strong muscles is imperative in preventing injury and reaching optimal movement health.
- Flexibility and range of motion — To improve our mobility to the highest level we can, not only do our muscles need to have the strength to control bones, but our muscles, tendons, and other soft tissue need to be able to lengthen, and our joints need to be able to perform a wide variety of movements.
- Balance — Frequent causes of balance issues are:
A professional physical therapist in Des Peres, MO will be able to identify the source of your mobility issues and develop a safe and effective treatment plan to improve your movement health. Beyond therapeutic strength, flexibility, and core exercises, your treatment plan may also include:
- Soft tissue mobilization
- Kinesio Taping®
- Trigger point dry needling
- Blood flow restriction training
- Posture correction and teaching correct posture
If your doctor and therapy team agree, a physical therapist in Des Peres, MO can also create custom medically accepted assistive devices including splints, braces, crutches, or canes in order to help you achieve the best possible mobility.
How Physical Therapy in Des Peres, MO Helps Beyond Mobility
Physical therapy does more than just increase strength and flexibility. Your proven treatment plans:
- Pain relief for both acute and chronic conditions without needing to depend on prescription medications
- If applicable, the potential to avoid a surgical procedure by motivating your body to heal on its own
- Patient education, including physical therapy techniques you can safely do at home, injury prevention techniques, and correct posture
- Motivating better physical health, which leads to increased energy, lowers your odds of developing heart disease, contributes to a healthy weight, makes you feel better, and promotes better sleep
Other services we offer in Des Peres, MO include:
- Shoulder Pain
- Injury Prevention
- Knee Injury
- Joint Pain
- Dry Needling
- ACL Tear
- Pain Management
- Rotator Cuff Tear
Mobility in Des Peres, MO | Axes Physical Therapy
Whether you are looking for hand therapy in order to make it easier for you to write, are in need of meaningful pain management for arthritis, or want to get back on the field after a sports injury, Axes’ team of licensed physical and occupational therapists will develop and implement the treatment plan that works best for you. We practice a client-centered approach. To get back your independence and active lifestyle, request an appointment with Axes Physical Therapy today or call the location nearest for you.