Mobility in Park Hills, MO. Our bodies are built to be on the go. But sometimes, our bodies don’t work the way they should and it prevents us from our favorite activities, or even just being able to carry out or daily live comfortably. While experiencing pain and other factors that affect mobility also have an impact on our emotional well-being, Axes Physical Therapy in Park Hills, MO can develop treatment plans that have been proven to work and that are built specifically to you and your needs. Regardless of whether your mobility limitations are the result of an injury, a disease, or a musculoskeletal problem such as sciatica, take the first steps in your best possible mobility and a pain-free daily life now by setting up an appointment with Axes today or calling the location nearest you.
The dictionary definition of mobility is, “the ability to move… freely and easily.” For some Park Hills, MO residents that is as simple as rolling over in bed comfortably, while others have more active lifestyle desires like serving an ace on the tennis court. Whatever you need to improve your movement health for, if can’t complete the activities you want to consult with a physician about professional physical therapy services.
Functional Mobility in Park Hills, MO
Functional mobility refers to a person’s ability to complete basic tasks. This includes simple tasks such as comfortably laying down in bed each night or walking up a flight of stairs. In general, functional mobility can be broken down into three categories:
- Bed mobility — Your ability to scoot, roll, and get in and out of bed comfortably.
- Transfers — Whether or not you are able to switch between surfaces, for example from one chair to another.
- Ambulation — Whether or not you can walk, and can do so while carrying things.
If you currently need assistance to be functionally mobile, the Park Hills, MO physical and occupational therapists at Axes are devoted to helping you restore your independence. Whether you currently lack full functional mobility because of an ACL tear, arthritis or other joint pain, or even a central nervous system disorder like Parkinson’s disease, we’ll guide you through your journey to optimal mobility. Most treatment plans include strengthening, balance, and flexibility training. We also offer vestibular therapy for people who have a debilitating vestibular disorder.
Park Hills, MO physical therapists often rely on the Functional Independence Measure (FIM) of seven levels to determine someone’s functional mobility:
- Complete independence, meaning you are able to achieve specific mobility thresholds safely and in a timely manner
- Modified independence, meaning you can perform certain movements but only with a walker, a cane, or crutches
- Stand-by assist, meaning you can complete the task independently but need someone standing by so you don’t hurt yourself
- Minimal assistance, meaning you can exert 75% of the work needed to complete the task or more while someone else does the rest
- Moderate assistance, meaning you can perform about 50% of the work needed
- Maximal assistance, meaning you can complete about 25% of the task without assistance
- Total assistance or not testable, meaning you can complete less than 25% of the task, or that even testing whether or not you can do it carries the risk of injury
At Axes Physical Therapy in Park Hills, MO, your customized treatment plan may include gradually taking you up through the seven levels, or at least to the highest level possible. All of our methods are based on what research says works best for you, and your dedicated physical therapist will begin your mobility treatment with a thorough examination of your health to ensure that the treatment modalities we have in mind for you are safe for someone suffering from the same ailment you are.
Beyond Functional Mobility in Park Hills, MO
Of course, simply being to move between chairs without assistance does not define optimal movement health for many of us. There are corners to burn on the football field, fun activities to share with your family, and the vocational tasks you need to perform every day in order to put food on the table for your Park Hills, MO family. At Axes, our occupational and physical therapists can help any individual achieve the activity level they desire. We also offer:
- Occupational therapy — Our Park Hills, MO occupational therapists are essential to your recovery when an injury or condition does not allow you to carry out the tasks of your job. We team up with you and your physician, insurance carrier, workers’ compensation lawyer and employer so you can get back to helping our Park Hills, MO community and supporting your family as you want to. Our advanced work rehabilitation includes Functional Capacity Evaluations to determine if you are ready to return to your job.
- Sports therapy — Every athletes worst nightmare is an unexpected fall or collision that keeps them off the field or court for weeks, months, or longer. Our Park Hills, MO physical therapy team is experienced in helping those who are sidelined because of ACL tears, rotator cuff tears, and a variety of other injuries. Our Certified Athletic Trainers are big believers in teaching injury prevention to help you reduce the risk of having to go through an injury again.
- Pre/post surgical rehabilitation — Surgery and your recovery from it are delicate matters that make anyone nervous. Whether your surgery is a matter of choice or a strong recommendation from a physician, we’ll team up with the doctors recommending and performing your surgery to help you feel confident in your treatment, and develop an effective strategy to get the best possible outcome from your procedure.
However limited you currently are in your mobility, and lifestyle you are trying to get back to, consult with your Park Hills, MO doctor about what physical therapy can do for you, or come see us for a complimentary injury screening from a professional physical or occupational therapist.
How a Physical Therapist in Park Hills, MO Can Help Improve Your Mobility
Our mobility is based on our strength, flexibility, range of motion, and balance:
- Strength — While physical therapy is effective at rebuilding and maintaining strength, it also ensures that no muscle is disproportionately strong or weak. Surrounding our joints with healthy and equally strong muscles is imperative in preventing injury and reaching optimal movement health.
- Flexibility and range of motion — To reach the movement health and lifestyle we desire, our muscles, tendons, and other soft tissue need to be able to lengthen so that the joints they control and protect can function properly.
- Balance — Frequent causes of balance issues are:
A clinically experienced physical therapist in Park Hills, MO will determine what is causing your mobility issues and develop a treatment plan, based on evidence to get you back to the lifestyle you enjoy most. Beyond therapeutic strength, flexibility, and core exercises, other evidence-backed techniques may include:
- Soft tissue mobilization
- Kinesio Taping®
- Trigger point dry needling
- Blood flow restriction training
- Posture correction and teaching correct posture
If required, a physical therapist in Park Hills, MO can also create custom medically accepted assistive devices such as splints, braces, crutches, or canes in order to best facilitate movement.
How Physical Therapy in Park Hills, MO Helps Beyond Mobility
Physical therapy does more than just increase strength and flexibility. Your personalized treatment plans:
- Pain relief for both acute and chronic conditions without having to use painkillers or opioids
- In some cases, the opportunity to avoid a surgical procedure by motivating your body to heal on its own
- Mobility education, including physical therapy techniques you can do in the comfort of your own home with no risk to injury, what you can do to prevent injuries, and the best postures for improved mobility
- Encouraging you to maintain an active lifestyle, which leads to increased energy, decreases your risk of cardiovascular disease, contributes to a healthy weight, makes you feel better, and encourages your body to get a full 8 hours of sleep
Other services we offer in Park Hills, MO include:
- Shoulder Pain
- Injury Prevention
- Knee Injury
- Joint Pain
- Dry Needling
- ACL Tear
- Pain Management
- Rotator Cuff Tear
Mobility in Park Hills, MO | Axes Physical Therapy
Whether you need hand therapy in order to make it easier for you to do basic everyday things, are in need of meaningful pain management for joint problems, or need to return to optimal movement health following a devastating injury, Axes’ team of licensed physical and occupational therapists will develop and implement the treatment plan that is safe and affective. We employ a an approach that focuses on personalized treatment. To get back your independence and active lifestyle, request an appointment with Axes Physical Therapy today or call the location that works best for you.