Mobility in Kinloch, MO. Our bodies are designed to move. But sometimes, we sustain an injury or other condition that impedes us from the activities we love. While losing your independence because of losing your mobility can affect our mental health as well, Axes Physical Therapy in Kinloch, MO offers solutions that have been proven to be successful and that are tailored specifically to you and your needs. Whether your mobility limitations are the result of an injury, a disease, or a musculoskeletal problem such as sciatica, begin your journey to optimal mobility and comfort as soon as possible by requesting an appointment with Axes today or calling the the one of our multiple locations nearest you.
The dictionary definition of mobility is, “the ability to move… freely and easily.” For some people that may mean walking up the stairs comfortably, while others have more active lifestyle desires like making a diving catch in their softball league. Whatever mobility means to you, if your mobility is severely restricted speak with a physician to see if physical therapy is the right choice for you.
Functional Mobility in Kinloch, MO
Functional mobility is the capacity one has to complete basic tasks. This includes simple tasks such as comfortably laying down in bed each night or getting in and out of the shower safely. In general, functional mobility can be broken down into three categories:
- Bed mobility — Your ability to scoot, roll, and get in and out of bed with ease.
- Transfers — Whether or not you are able to switch between surfaces, for example from one chair to another.
- Ambulation — Your ability to walk freely without the need of assistance. This also includes walking while being able to carry objects.
While the injury or condition limiting your functional mobility may mean that you currently rely on assistance in order to complete basic tasks, the Kinloch, MO physical and occupational therapists at Axes are devoted to getting your freedom back. Whether your currently limited functional mobility was caused by a knee injury, arthritis or other joint pain, or even a a progressive disorder like Parkinson’s disease, we’ll guide you through your journey to the best possible movement health. Most treatment plans include strengthening, balance, and flexibility movements. Our therapists are also experts vestibular therapy for people who have a debilitating vestibular disorder.
The seven level Functional Independence Measure (FIM) is the main way to assess functional mobility in Kinloch, MO:
- Complete independence, meaning you are able to achieve specific mobility thresholds safely and in a timely manner
- Modified independence, meaning you can perform certain movements but only with a walker, a cane, or crutches
- Supervision, meaning you can perform the movement by yourself but need someone to monitor you so you don’t hurt yourself
- Minimal assistance, meaning you can exert 75% of the effort needed to complete the task or more while a physical therapist helps you the rest of the way
- Moderate assistance, meaning you can perform about half of the work required
- Maximal assistance, meaning you can complete about 25% of the task independently
- Total assistance or not testable, meaning you are unable to put in 25% of the effort required, or that even testing whether or not you can do it carries the risk of injury
At Axes Physical Therapy in Kinloch, MO, your tailor-made treatment plan may include safely taking you from the first level to the highest level possible. All of our methods are based on what research says works best for you, and your dedicated physical therapist will begin your mobility treatment with a comprehensive evaluation of your health to confirm that the exercises we use are safe for someone suffering from the same ailment you are.
Beyond Functional Mobility in Kinloch, MO
Obviously, many of us desire a higher level of movement health than just walking up the stairs without limitations. There are fast breaks to run, your children to pick up, and the vocational tasks you need to carry out every day in order to put food on the table for your Kinloch, MO family. At Axes, our occupational and physical therapists can help any athlete, worker, or family member improve mobility they need to get back to the activities they love. Our services also include:
- Occupational therapy — Our Kinloch, MO occupational therapists are essential to your recovery when an injury or condition limits the mobility needed to to do your hob. We team up with you and your physician, insurance carrier, attorney and employer so you can get back to contributing to our Kinloch, MO community and providing for your family as you want to. Our advanced work rehabilitation includes Functional Capacity Evaluations to ascertain what activity level you can safely carry out.
- Sports therapy — Every athletes worst nightmare is an unexpected pop or crack that keeps them inactive and limited for weeks, months, or longer. Our Kinloch, MO physical therapy team knows how to help those who are sidelined because of ACL tears, rotator cuff tears, and a variety of other injuries. Our Certified Athletic Trainers also specialize in injury prevention to help you stay off the sidelines.
- Pre/post surgical rehabilitation — Surgery makes anyone anxious. Whether your surgery is a matter of choice or a strong recommendation from a physician, we’ll team up with the doctors recommending and performing your surgery to give you piece of mind, and formulate an effective plan of action to get the best possible outcome from your procedure.
However limited you currently are in your mobility, and the extent to wish you want to improve it, consult with your Kinloch, MO doctor about whether or not physical therapy is advisable, or come see us for a complimentary injury screening from a licensed physical or occupational therapist.
How a Physical Therapist in Kinloch, MO Can Help Improve Your Mobility
Our mobility is based on our strength, flexibility, range of motion, and balance:
- Strength — While physical therapy is effective at rebuilding and maintaining strength, it also helps to make sure no muscle is stronger or weaker than it should be in relation to the muscles around it. Surrounding our joints with healthy and equally strong muscles is essential in preventing injury and improving your mobility.
- Flexibility and range of motion — To reach the movement health and lifestyle we desire, not only do our muscles need to have the strength to control bones, but our muscles, tendons, and other soft tissue need to be able to lengthen, and our joints need to be able to perform a wide variety of movements.
- Balance — Frequent causes of balance issues are:
A clinically experienced physical therapist in Kinloch, MO will determine what is causing your limitations in mobility and develop a safe and effective treatment plan to improve your movement health. Beyond restorative strength, flexibility, and core exercises, We can help you improve your mobility with:
- Soft tissue mobilization
- Kinesio Taping®
- Trigger point dry needling
- Blood flow restriction training
- Posture correction and correct posture education
If required, a physical therapist in Kinloch, MO can also mold your very own medically accepted assistive devices including splints, braces, crutches, or canes in order to best facilitate movement.
How Physical Therapy in Kinloch, MO Helps Beyond Mobility
The benefits of physical therapy go beyond just getting around easier, getting back to work, or getting back on the field. Your proven treatment plans:
- Pain relief, whether from an injury or pain that is chronic in nature without having to use costly and potentially habit forming prescription drugs
- In some cases, the opportunity to avoid surgery by encouraging the body’s natural way of healing itself
- Mobility education, including physical therapy techniques you can do in the comfort of your own home with no risk to injury, injury prevention techniques, and correct posture
- Motivating you to maintain an active lifestyle, which leads to enhanced energy, lowers your risk of heart disease, helps control weight, improves your mood, and promotes better sleep
Other services we offer in Kinloch, MO include:
- Shin Splint Treatment
- Direct Access Physical Therapy
- Gait Analysis
- Pelvic Floor Therapy
- Dry Needling Near Me
- Tendonitis Treatment
- Manual Physical Therapy
- Orthopedic Rehab Near Me
- Beginner Running Program
- Chronic Pain Treatment
Mobility in Kinloch, MO | Axes Physical Therapy
Whether you are looking for hand therapy in order to make it easier for you to do basic things around the house, are in need of meaningful pain management for joint problems, or need to return to optimal movement health following a devastating injury, Axes’ team of licensed physical and occupational therapists will develop and implement the treatment plan that is safe and affective. We practice a client-centered approach. To restore the level of mobility you deserve, request an appointment with Axes Physical Therapy today or find the location nearest for you.