Mobility in Femme Osage, MO. Our bodies are meant to move. But sometimes, our mobility is impeded and it impedes us from our favorite activities, or even just being able to carry out or daily live comfortably. While experiencing pain and other factors that affect mobility can affect our mental health as well, Axes Physical Therapy in Femme Osage, MO offers treatment plans that have been proven to work and that are customized specifically to you and your needs. Regardless of whether your mobility limitations are the result of acute trauma, a disease, or an impairment in your musculoskeletal structure such as sciatica, begin your journey to optimal movement health and meaningful pain relief now by scheduling a free evaluation with Axes today or calling the location nearest you.
The dictionary definition of mobility is, “the ability to move… freely and easily.” For some of us that is as simple as picking up their kids without pain, while others have more active lifestyle desires like making a diving catch in their softball league. Whatever mobility means to you, if you can’t live the life you want comfortable consult with your doctor to see if physical therapy is the right choice for you.
Functional Mobility in Femme Osage, MO
Functional mobility is the capacity one has to complete basic tasks. This includes simple tasks such as moving around in bed or carrying a cup of coffee to the next room and sitting down. In general, functional mobility can be broken down into three categories:
- Bed mobility — Your ability to comfortably move around in bed, including rolling, scooting, sitting up, and lying down.
- Transfers — Whether or not you are able to switch between places, for example from one chair to another.
- Ambulation — Your ability to walk freely without the need of assistance. This also includes walking while being able to carry objects.
If you currently need assistance to be functionally mobile, the Femme Osage, MO physical and occupational therapists at Axes are dedicated to getting your self-sufficiency back. Whether your currently limited functional mobility was caused by a knee injury, arthritis or other joint pain, or even a degenerative condition like Parkinson’s disease, we’ll guide you through your journey to optimal mobility. Part of your treatment will likely be simple and safe strengthening, balance, and flexibility exercises. We also offer vestibular therapy to help with vestibular disorders that cause sensory dysfunction.
The seven level Functional Independence Measure (FIM) is the main way to evaluate functional mobility in Femme Osage, MO:
- Complete independence, meaning you are able to achieve specific mobility thresholds without assistance and in a relatively normal amount of time
- Modified independence, meaning you can perform specific movements but only with a walker, a cane, or crutches
- Supervision, meaning you can complete the task by yourself but need someone close by so you don’t hurt yourself
- Minimal assistance, meaning you can do 75% or more while someone else helps you the rest of the way
- Moderate assistance, meaning you can exert 50% of the effort needed
- Maximal assistance, meaning you can complete about 25% of the task independently
- Total assistance or not testable, meaning you are unable to put in 25% of the work required, or that even testing whether or not you can do it carries the risk of injury
At Axes Physical Therapy in Femme Osage, MO, your customized treatment plan may include gradually allowing you more and more independence until you get the highest level you can. All of our methods are proven to be safe and effective through extensive clinical studies, and your dedicated physical therapist will begin your mobility treatment with a comprehensive examination of your health to confirm that the exercises we use are safe for someone in your exact condition.
Beyond Functional Mobility in Femme Osage, MO
To be sure, many of us desire a higher level of movement health than just rolling over in bed without assistance. There are doubles to hit in your softball league, fun activities to share with your family, and the vocational tasks you need to perform every day so that you can provide for your Femme Osage, MO family. At Axes, we offer comprehensive physical and occupational physical therapy that can help any athlete, worker, or family member achieve the activity level they desire. Our services also include:
- Occupational therapy — Our Femme Osage, MO occupational therapists are an essential part of getting you back to work after a work-related injury. We team up with you and your physician, insurance carrier, workers’ compensation lawyer and employer so you can get back to contributing to our Femme Osage, MO community and supporting your family the best way you can. Our advanced work rehabilitation includes Functional Capacity Evaluations to ascertain if you can safely go back to work either fully or at some level.
- Sports therapy — The last thing any athlete wants to experience is an unexpected fall or collision that keeps them inactive and limited for anywhere from a couple weeks to a year. Our Femme Osage, MO physical therapy team is experienced in helping those who are sidelined because of ACL tears, rotator cuff tears, and a variety of other injuries. Our Certified Athletic Trainers also specialize in injury prevention to help you reduce the risk of having to go through an injury again.
- Pre/post surgical rehabilitation — Surgery is a complex and nerve-racking procedure for anyone. Whether your surgery is elective or medically necessary, we’ll work with your physician and surgeons to form a complete surgical team to give you piece of mind, and formulate a successful game plan to restore optimal mobility.
However limited you currently are in your mobility, and lifestyle you are trying to get back to, consult with your Femme Osage, MO doctor about whether or not physical therapy is advisable, or come see us for a no-obligation injury screening from a clinically experienced physical or occupational therapist.
How a Physical Therapist in Femme Osage, MO Can Help Improve Your Mobility
Our mobility is based on our strength, flexibility, range of motion, and balance:
- Strength — While physical therapy can help rebuild muscle after an injury and slow the weakening of muscles as we age, it also helps to make sure no muscle is stronger or weaker than it should be in relation to the muscles around it. Achieving proportionately strong muscles around joints is essential in preventing injury and improving your mobility.
- Flexibility and range of motion — To achieve optimal movement health, not only do our muscles need to have the strength to control bones, but our muscles, ligaments, and other soft tissue need to be able to lengthen, and our joints need to be able to perform a wide variety of movements.
- Balance — Problems with balance are usually due to:
A professional physical therapist in Femme Osage, MO will determine what is causing your limitations in mobility and develop a treatment plan, based on empirical research to improve your movement health. Beyond restorative strength, flexibility, and core exercises, We can help you improve your mobility with:
- Soft tissue mobilization
- Kinesio Taping®
- Trigger point dry needling
- Blood flow restriction training
- Posture correction and teaching correct posture
If necessary, a physical therapist in Femme Osage, MO can also create custom medically accepted assistive devices such as splints, braces, crutches, or canes in order to help you achieve the best possible mobility.
How Physical Therapy in Femme Osage, MO Helps Beyond Mobility
The benefits of physical therapy go beyond just getting around easier, getting back to work, or getting back on the field. Your proven treatment plans:
- Pain relief, whether from an injury or pain that is chronic in nature without needing to depend on costly and potentially habit forming prescription drugs
- Depending on the nature of your mobility limitations, the potential to avoid a surgical procedure by motivating your body to heal on its own
- Mobility education, including exercises you can safely do at home, what you can do to prevent injuries, and correct posture
- Motivating better physical health, which leads to enhanced energy, lowers your odds of developing cardiovascular disease, helps control weight, improves your mood, and encourages your body to get a full 8 hours of sleep
Other services we offer in Femme Osage, MO include:
- Shoulder Pain
- Injury Prevention
- Knee Injury
- Joint Pain
- Dry Needling
- ACL Tear
- Pain Management
- Rotator Cuff Tear
Mobility in Femme Osage, MO | Axes Physical Therapy
Whether you are looking for hand therapy in order to make it easier for you to use a computer, are looking for meaningful pain management for sciatica, or want to return to your active lifestyle following acute trauma, Axes’ team of licensed physical and occupational therapists will develop and implement the treatment plan that is safe and affective. We practice a client-centered approach. To restore the level of mobility you deserve, request an appointment with Axes Physical Therapy today or reach out to the location nearest for you.