Mobility in Lemay, MO. Our bodies are built to to make walking and other movements easy. But sometimes, our bodies don’t work the way they should and it prevents us from doing what we love most. While losing your independence because of losing your mobility also have an impact on our emotional well-being, Axes Physical Therapy in Lemay, MO can provide you with solutions that have been proven to work and that are tailored specifically to getting you back to the life you want to live. Regardless of whether your mobility is limited because of an injury, a degenerative condition, or an impairment in your musculoskeletal structure such as sciatica, start on the road back to optimal mobility and a pain-free daily life now by scheduling a mobility and injury analysis with Axes today or calling the the one of our multiple locations nearest you.
The dictionary definition of mobility is, “the ability to move… freely and easily.” For some Lemay, MO residents that may mean picking up their kids comfortably, while for others it may mean making a diving catch in their softball league. Whatever you need to improve your movement health for, if your mobility is severely restricted consult with a physician to see if physical therapy is the right choice for you.
Functional Mobility in Lemay, MO
Functional mobility is the capacity one has to complete basic tasks. This includes anything from comfortably laying down in bed each night or walking up a flight of stairs. In general, functional mobility can be broken down into three categories:
- Bed mobility — Your ability to scoot, roll, and get in and out of bed with ease.
- Transfers — Your ability to switch between places, for example from one chair to another.
- Ambulation — Whether or not you can walk, and can do so while carrying things.
While the injury or condition affecting your functional mobility may mean that you currently rely on assistance in order to operate in your daily life, the Lemay, MO physical and occupational therapists at Axes are committed to helping you restore your independence. Whether you currently lack full functional mobility due to an ACL tear, arthritis or other joint pain, or even a degenerative condition like Parkinson’s disease, we’ll guide you through your journey to optimal mobility. Part of your treatment will likely be simple and safe strengthening, balance, and flexibility exercises. We also offer vestibular therapy for people who have a debilitating vestibular disorder.
The seven level Functional Independence Measure (FIM) is the staple of how to assess functional mobility in Lemay, MO:
- Complete independence, meaning you are able to achieve specific mobility thresholds without assistance and without taking an excessive amount of time
- Modified independence, meaning you need a device such as a walker to complete the task
- Stand-by assist, meaning you can perform the movement independently but need someone next to you so you don’t hurt yourself
- Minimal assistance, meaning you can do 75% or more while a physical therapist helps you the rest of the way
- Moderate assistance, meaning you can perform about half of the work needed
- Maximal assistance, meaning you can put in a quarter of the work of the task without assistance
- Total assistance or not testable, meaning you are unable to put in a quarter of the work required, or that the activity is not safe to test
At Axes Physical Therapy in Lemay, MO, your customized treatment plan may include gradually taking you up through the seven levels, or at least to the highest level you are able to achieve. All of our methods are based on what research says can improve your mobility, and at your first appointment with your professional physical therapist, they will perform a comprehensive evaluation of your health to confirm that the treatment modalities we have in mind for you are safe for someone in your exact condition.
Beyond Functional Mobility in Lemay, MO
Of course, many of us desire a higher level of movement health than just being to move between furniture independently. There are doubles to hit in your softball league, fun activities to share with your family, and the job-related tasks you need to carry out every day in order to earn a living for your Lemay, MO family. At Axes, we offer comprehensive physical and occupational physical therapy that can help any individual achieve the activity level they desire. Our services also include:
- Occupational therapy — Our Lemay, MO occupational therapists are crucial to your recovery when an injury or condition does not allow you to carry out the tasks of your job. We team up with you and your physician, insurance carrier, workers’ compensation lawyer and employer so you can get back to being an integral member of our Lemay, MO community and providing for your family the best way you can. Our advanced work rehabilitation includes Functional Capacity Evaluations to ascertain what activity level you can safely carry out.
- Sports therapy — The last thing any athlete wants to experience is a sudden fall or collision that keeps them off the field or court for weeks, months, or longer. Our Lemay, MO physical therapy team knows how to help those who are sidelined because of ACL tears, rotator cuff tears, and a variety of other injuries. Our Certified Athletic Trainers also specialize in injury prevention to help you stay off the sidelines.
- Pre/post surgical rehabilitation — Surgery makes anyone anxious. Whether your surgery is elective or medically necessary, we’ll work with your physician and surgeons to form a complete surgical team to give you piece of mind, and formulate an effective game plan to get the best possible outcome from your procedure.
However limited you currently are in your mobility, and the level of improved mobility you desire, consult with your Lemay, MO doctor about whether they think getting you a prescription for physical therapy is right for you, or visit one of our locations for a no-risk, no-obligation injury screening from a professional physical or occupational therapist.
How a Physical Therapist in Lemay, MO Can Help Improve Your Mobility
The four tenets of mobility are our strength, flexibility, range of motion, and balance:
- Strength — While physical therapy is effective at rebuilding and maintaining strength, it also helps achieve muscle balance. Achieving equal muscle balance around joints is essential in preventing injury and improving your mobility.
- Flexibility and range of motion — To achieve optimal movement health, not only do our muscles need to have the strength to control bones, but our muscles, tendons, and other soft tissue need to be able to lengthen, and our joints need to be able to perform a wide variety of movements.
- Balance — Balance issues are usually caused by:
A professional physical therapist in Lemay, MO will determine what is causing your mobility issues and develop a safe and effective treatment plan to improve your movement health. In addition to restorative strength, flexibility, and core exercises, other evidence-backed techniques may include:
- Soft tissue mobilization
- Kinesio Taping®
- Trigger point dry needling
- Blood flow restriction training
- Posture correction and correct posture education
If necessary, a physical therapist in Lemay, MO can also fit you for medically accepted assistive devices such as splints, braces, crutches, or canes in order to help you achieve the best possible mobility.
How Physical Therapy in Lemay, MO Helps Beyond Mobility
The benefits of physical therapy go beyond just getting around easier, getting back to work, or getting back on the field. As we work to reach optimal movement health, you’ll also see the following benefits:
- Pain relief for both acute and chronic conditions without the need of costly and potentially habit forming prescription drugs
- Depending on the nature of your mobility limitations, the potential to avoid a surgical procedure by stimulating the body’s own healing methods
- Movement health education, including physical therapy techniques you can do in the comfort of your own home with no risk to injury, what you can do to prevent injuries, and correct posture
- Encouraging better physical health, which leads to increased energy, lowers your risk of cardiovascular disease, helps control weight, makes you feel better, and promotes better sleep
Other services we offer in Lemay, MO include:
- Shoulder Pain
- Injury Prevention
- Knee Injury
- Joint Pain
- Dry Needling
- ACL Tear
- Pain Management
- Rotator Cuff Tear
Mobility in Lemay, MO | Axes Physical Therapy
Whether you are looking for hand therapy in order to make it easier for you to type, are looking for meaningful pain management for joint problems, or want to return to your active lifestyle following acute trauma, Axes’ team of licensed physical and occupational therapists is here to help you get back to what you love doing most. We employ a an approach that focuses on personalized treatment. To restore the level of mobility you deserve, request an appointment with Axes Physical Therapy today or call the location that works best for you.