Mobility in Troy, MO. Our bodies are built to to make walking and other movements easy. But sometimes, we sustain an injury or other condition that keeps us from doing what we love most. While that loss of physical mobility also have an impact on our emotional well-being, Axes Physical Therapy in Troy, MO can develop solutions that have been proven to get results and that are built specifically to you, your age, and your desired activity level. No matter if your mobility is limited because of acute trauma, a chronic condition, or a musculoskeletal condition such as sciatica, begin your journey to your best possible mobility and comfort now by setting up a free evaluation with Axes today or calling the the one of our 15 locations nearest you.
The dictionary definition of mobility is, “the ability to move… freely and easily.” For some of us that is as simple as rolling over in bed without pain, while others have more active lifestyle desires like serving an ace on the tennis court. Whatever you need to improve your movement health for, if your mobility is severely restricted consult with a physician about professional physical therapy and movement health services.
Functional Mobility in Troy, MO
Functional mobility is the capacity one has to complete daily tasks. This includes anything from rolling over in bed or bringing a cup of coffee to the living room and sitting on the couch. In general, functional mobility can be broken down into three categories:
- Bed mobility — Your ability to comfortably move around in bed, including rolling, scooting, sitting up, and lying down.
- Transfers — Whether or not you are able to move from one surface to a different one, for example from a bed to a chair.
- Ambulation — If you can walk on your own while having objects in your hands.
If you cannot currently complete some or all of the activities above without a person or assistive device helping you, the Troy, MO physical and occupational therapists at Axes are dedicated to helping you regain your freedom. Whether your currently limited functional mobility was caused by a knee injury, arthritis or other joint pain, or even a a progressive disorder like Parkinson’s disease, we’ll guide you through your journey to the best possible mobility. Most treatment plans include strengthening, balance, and flexibility training. We also offer vestibular therapy to help with vestibular disorders that cause dizziness and vertigo.
The seven level Functional Independence Measure (FIM) is the main way to assess functional mobility in Troy, MO:
- Complete independence, meaning you can move in a certain way safely and without taking an excessive amount of time
- Modified independence, meaning you can perform specific movements but only with a walker, a cane, or crutches
- Supervision, meaning you can complete the task by yourself but need someone standing by for safety
- Minimal assistance, meaning you can exert 75% of the effort needed to complete the task or more while a physical therapist helps you the rest of the way
- Moderate assistance, meaning you can perform about half of the work necessary
- Maximal assistance, meaning you can complete about 25% of the task without assistance
- Total assistance or not testable, meaning you can complete less than 25% of the task, or that the activity is not safe to test
At Axes Physical Therapy in Troy, MO, your personalized treatment plan may include safely taking you from the first level to the highest level possible. All of our treatment plans are based on what research says can improve your mobility, and when you and your licensed physical therapist first meet, they will perform a thorough evaluation of your health to ensure that the exercises we have in mind for you are safe for someone in your exact condition.
Beyond Functional Mobility in Troy, MO
To be sure, many of us desire a higher level of movement health than just rolling over in bed pain-free. There are fast breaks to run, fun activities to share with your family, and the vocational tasks you need to carry out every day so that you can provide for your Troy, MO family. At Axes, we offer comprehensive physical and occupational physical therapy that can help any athlete, worker, or family member achieve the activity level they desire. Our services also include:
- Occupational therapy — Our Troy, MO occupational therapists are vital to your return to work when an injury or condition does not allow you to carry out the tasks of your job. We serve as an integral member of your workers’ compensation team so you can get back to contributing to our Troy, MO community and supporting your family the best way you can. Our advanced work rehabilitation includes Functional Capacity Evaluations to ascertain what activity level you can safely carry out.
- Sports therapy — The worst-case scenario for anyone who loves playing sports is an unexpected pop or crack that keeps them inactive and limited for weeks, months, or longer. If you suffer an ACL tear, rotator cuff tear, or other sports injury, Axes Physical Therapy in Troy, MO will help you regain your mobility and get you back on the field or court as soon as is safely possible. Our Certified Athletic Trainers also specialize in injury prevention to help you stay off the sidelines.
- Pre/post surgical rehabilitation — Surgery and your recovery from it are delicate matters that make anyone nervous. Whether your surgery is elective or medically necessary, we’ll team up with the doctors recommending and performing your surgery to help you feel confident in your treatment, and formulate an effective strategy to get the best possible outcome from your procedure.
Whatever the current level of mobility, and the level of movement health you desire, consult with your Troy, MO doctor about what physical therapy can do for you, or come see us for a complimentary injury screening from a professional physical or occupational therapist.
How a Physical Therapist in Troy, MO Can Help Improve Your Mobility
Our mobility is based on our strength, flexibility, range of motion, and balance:
- Strength — While physical therapy can help rebuild muscle after an injury and slow the weakening of muscles as we age, it also helps achieve muscle balance. Surrounding our joints with healthy and equally strong muscles is crucial in preventing injury and reaching optimal movement health.
- Flexibility and range of motion — To reach the movement health and lifestyle we desire, our muscles, ligaments, and other soft tissue need to be able to lengthen so that the joints they control and protect can function properly.
- Balance — Frequent causes of balance issues include:
An experienced physical therapist in Troy, MO will determine what is causing your mobility issues and develop a treatment plan, based on evidence to improve your movement health. In addition to restorative strength, flexibility, and core exercises, We can help you improve your mobility with:
- Soft tissue mobilization
- Kinesio Taping®
- Trigger point dry needling
- Blood flow restriction training
- Posture correction and teaching good posture
If required, a physical therapist in Troy, MO can also fit you for medically accepted assistive devices including splints, braces, crutches, or canes in order to help you achieve the best possible mobility.
How Physical Therapy in Troy, MO Helps Beyond Mobility
The benefits of physical therapy go beyond just getting around easier, getting back to work, or getting back on the field. Your evidence-based treatment plans:
- Pain relief for both acute and chronic conditions without having to use painkillers or opioids
- If applicable, the opportunity to avoid surgery by encouraging the body’s own healing methods
- Patient education, including physical therapy techniques you can do in the comfort of your own home with no risk to injury, what you can do to prevent injuries, and correct posture
- Encouraging better physical health, carries with it the benefits of increased energy, decreases your risk of heart disease, contributes to a healthy weight, improves your mood, and encourages your body to get a full 8 hours of sleep
Other services we offer in Troy, MO include:
- Shoulder Pain
- Injury Prevention
- Knee Injury
- Joint Pain
- Dry Needling
- ACL Tear
- Pain Management
- Rotator Cuff Tear
Mobility in Troy, MO | Axes Physical Therapy
Whether you need hand therapy in order to make it easier for you to use a computer, are in need of meaningful pain management for joint problems, or want to get back on the field after a sports injury, Axes’ team of licensed physical and occupational therapists is here to help you get back to what you love doing most. We pride ourselves on our an approach that focuses on personalized treatment. To get back your independence and active lifestyle, request an appointment with Axes Physical Therapy today or reach out to the location that works best for you.