Mobility in Country Life Acres, MO. Our bodies are built to be on the go. But sometimes, our mobility is impeded and it keeps us from the activities we love. While losing your independence because of losing your mobility affects us in more ways than just physically, Axes Physical Therapy in Country Life Acres, MO can develop safe, effective, and proven treatment plans that are built specifically to you, your age, and your desired activity level. No matter if your mobility is limited because of an injury, a chronic condition, or a musculoskeletal problem such as sciatica, take the first steps in optimal movement health and a pain-free daily life as soon as possible by scheduling an appointment with Axes today or calling the the one of our multiple locations nearest you.
The dictionary definition of mobility is, “the ability to move… freely and easily.” For some Country Life Acres, MO residents that looks like walking up the stairs comfortably, while others need to get back to making a diving catch in their softball league. Whatever mobility means to you, if you can’t live the life you want pain-free consult with a physician to see if physical therapy is the right choice for you.
Functional Mobility in Country Life Acres, MO
Functional mobility refers to a person’s ability to safely and efficiently get around their home. This includes anything from rolling over in bed or bringing a cup of coffee to the next room and sitting on the couch. In general, there are three types of functional mobility:
- Bed mobility — Your ability to scoot, roll, and get in and out of bed pain-free.
- Transfers — Whether or not you are able to switch between surfaces, for example from a bed to a chair.
- Ambulation — Whether or not you can walk, and can do so while carrying things.
If you cannot currently complete some or all of the activities above without the aid of a person or assistive device, the Country Life Acres, MO physical and occupational therapists at Axes are committed to helping you regain your independence. Whether the condition affecting you is an ACL tear, arthritis or other joint pain, or even a central nervous system disorder like Parkinson’s disease, we’ll design a tailor-made plan that safely and correctly helps you reach optimal mobility. We will guide you in strengthening, balance, and flexibility exercises. We also offer vestibular therapy to help with vestibular disorders that cause dizziness and vertigo.
Country Life Acres, MO physical therapists often rely on the Functional Independence Measure (FIM) of seven levels to assess someone’s functional mobility:
- Complete independence, meaning you are able to achieve specific mobility thresholds without risk of injury and without taking an excessive amount of time
- Modified independence, meaning you need a device such as a cane to complete the task
- Stand-by assist, meaning you can perform the movement independently but need someone close by to prevent risk of injury
- Minimal assistance, meaning you can do 75% or more while someone else does the rest
- Moderate assistance, meaning you can perform about half of the work required
- Maximal assistance, meaning you can put in a quarter of the work of the task yourself
- Total assistance or not testable, meaning you can complete less than 25% of the task, or that even testing whether or not you can do it could lead to you becoming hurt
At Axes Physical Therapy in Country Life Acres, MO, your tailor-made treatment plan may include gradually allowing you more and more independence until you get the highest level you can. All of our treatment plans are based on what research says works best for you, and your dedicated physical therapist will begin your mobility treatment with a thorough examination of your health to confirm that the treatment modalities we have in mind for you are safe for someone in your exact condition.
Beyond Functional Mobility in Country Life Acres, MO
To be sure, simply being to move between chairs pain-free does not define optimal movement health for many of us. There are corners to burn on the football field, your children to play with, and the vocational tasks you need to carry out every day so that you can put food on the table for your Country Life Acres, MO family. At Axes, our occupational and physical therapists can help any athlete, worker, or family member achieve the activity level they desire. Our services also include:
- Occupational therapy — Our Country Life Acres, MO occupational therapists are crucial to your return to work when an injury or condition limits the mobility needed to to do your hob. We serve as an integral member of your workers’ compensation team so you can get back to contributing to our Country Life Acres, MO community and providing for your family as you always have. Our advanced work rehabilitation includes Functional Capacity Evaluations to determine what functional capacities you are capable of.
- Sports therapy — The worst-case scenario for anyone who loves playing sports is a sudden injury that keeps them inactive and limited for weeks, months, or longer. If you suffer an ACL tear, rotator cuff tear, or other sports injury, Axes Physical Therapy in Country Life Acres, MO will help you regain your mobility and get you back on the field or court as soon as is safely possible. Our Certified Athletic Trainers can also educate you on the specifics of injury prevention to help you reduce the risk of having to go through an injury again.
- Pre/post surgical rehabilitation — Surgery makes anyone anxious. Whether your surgery is a matter of choice or a strong recommendation from a physician, we’ll team up with the doctors recommending and performing your surgery to help you feel confident in your treatment, and formulate an effective strategy to get the best possible outcome from your procedure.
However limited you currently are in your mobility, and the level of improved mobility you desire, consult with your Country Life Acres, MO doctor about whether they think getting you a prescription for physical therapy is right for you, or come see us for a complimentary injury screening from a licensed physical or occupational therapist.
How a Physical Therapist in Country Life Acres, MO Can Help Improve Your Mobility
The four tenets of mobility are our strength, flexibility, range of motion, and balance:
- Strength — While physical therapy is effective at rebuilding and maintaining strength, it also helps to make sure no muscle is stronger or weaker than it should be in relation to the muscles around it. Achieving proportionately strong muscles around joints is essential in preventing injury and reaching optimal movement health.
- Flexibility and range of motion — To improve our mobility to the highest level we can, not only do our muscles need to have the strength to control bones, but our muscles, tendons, and other soft tissue need to be able to lengthen, and our joints need to be able to perform a wide variety of movements.
- Balance — Frequent causes of balance issues are:
A professional physical therapist in Country Life Acres, MO will be able to identify the source of your limitations in mobility and come up with a safe and effective treatment plan to get you back to the lifestyle you enjoy most. Beyond therapeutic strength, flexibility, and core exercises, We can help you improve your mobility with:
- Soft tissue mobilization
- Kinesio Taping®
- Trigger point dry needling
- Blood flow restriction training
- Posture correction and good posture education
If necessary, a physical therapist in Country Life Acres, MO can also fit you for medically accepted assistive devices such as splints, braces, crutches, or canes in order to best facilitate movement.
How Physical Therapy in Country Life Acres, MO Helps Beyond Mobility
Physical therapy does more than just increase mobility. As we work to reach optimal movement health, you’ll also see the following benefits:
- Pain relief for both acute and chronic conditions without having to use costly and potentially habit forming prescription drugs
- In some cases, the potential to avoid a surgical procedure by stimulating the body’s own healing methods
- Movement health education, including exercises you can safely do at home, what you can do to prevent injuries, and correct posture
- Encouraging better physical health, carries with it the benefits of enhanced energy, lowers your risk of cardiovascular disease, helps control weight, improves your mood, and promotes better sleep
Other services we offer in Country Life Acres, MO include:
- Soft Tissue Mobilization
- Post Surgical Rehabilitation
- Shin Splint Treatment
- Direct Access Physical Therapy
- Gait Analysis
- Pelvic Floor Therapy
- Dry Needling Near Me
- Tendonitis Treatment
- Manual Physical Therapy
- Orthopedic Rehab Near Me
Mobility in Country Life Acres, MO | Axes Physical Therapy
Whether you are looking for hand therapy in order to make it easier for you to write, are looking for meaningful pain management for sciatica, or need to return to optimal movement health following a devastating injury, Axes’ team of licensed physical and occupational therapists will develop and implement the treatment plan that works best for you. We employ a client-centered approach. To restore the level of mobility you deserve, request an appointment with Axes Physical Therapy today or find the location most convenient for you.