Mobility in Stone Meadows, MO. Our bodies are designed to to make walking and other movements easy. But sometimes, our bodies don’t work the way they should and it impedes us from the activities we love. While experiencing pain and other factors that affect mobility affects us in more ways than just physically, Axes Physical Therapy in Stone Meadows, MO offers safe, effective, and proven solutions that are customized specifically to you and your needs. No matter if your mobility limitations are the result of acute trauma, a degenerative condition, or a musculoskeletal condition such as sciatica, begin your journey to your best possible mobility and comfort now by scheduling an appointment with Axes today or calling the the one of our multiple locations most convenient for you.
The dictionary definition of mobility is, “the ability to move… freely and easily.” For some people that is as simple as picking up their kids comfortably, while others have more active lifestyle desires like sprinting down the basketball court on a fast break. Whatever it means to you, if can’t complete the activities you want to speak with your doctor to see if physical therapy is the right choice for you.
Functional Mobility in Stone Meadows, MO
Functional mobility refers to a person’s ability to complete daily tasks. This can be simple tasks such as comfortably laying down in bed each night or bringing a cup of coffee to the living room and sitting down. Fundamentally, functional mobility can be broken down into three categories:
- Bed mobility — Your ability to comfortably move around in bed, including rolling, scooting, sitting up, and lying down.
- Transfers — Whether or not you are able to switch between places, for example from a bed to a chair.
- Ambulation — Your ability to walk freely without the need of assistance. This also includes walking while being able to carry objects.
If you cannot currently complete some or all of the activities above without the aid of a person or assistive device, the Stone Meadows, MO physical and occupational therapists at Axes are committed to helping you regain your autonomy. Whether the condition affecting you is an ACL tear, arthritis or other joint pain, or even a central nervous system disorder like Parkinson’s disease, we’ll implement a personalized plan that safely and correctly helps you reach optimal mobility. Part of your treatment will likely be simple and safe strengthening, balance, and flexibility exercises. We also offer vestibular therapy to help with vestibular disorders that cause dizziness and vertigo.
The seven level Functional Independence Measure (FIM) is the main way to evaluate functional mobility in Stone Meadows, MO:
- Complete independence, meaning you can move in a certain way safely and in a relatively normal amount of time
- Modified independence, meaning you need a device such as a cane to complete the task
- Stand-by assist, meaning you can complete the task by yourself but need someone to monitor you to prevent risk of injury
- Minimal assistance, meaning you can exert 75% of the effort needed to complete the task or more while someone else helps you the rest of the way
- Moderate assistance, meaning you can exert 50% of the effort required
- Maximal assistance, meaning you can complete about 25% of the task independently
- Total assistance or not testable, meaning you can complete less than 25% of the task, or that the activity is not safe to test
At Axes Physical Therapy in Stone Meadows, MO, your personalized treatment plan may include safely taking you up through the seven levels, or at least to the highest level possible. All of our treatment plans are based on what research says works best for you, and your dedicated physical therapist will begin your mobility treatment with a thorough evaluation of your health to verify that the treatment modalities we use are safe for someone suffering from the same ailment you are.
Beyond Functional Mobility in Stone Meadows, MO
Obviously, many of us desire a higher level of movement health than just walking up the stairs without limitations. There are fast breaks to run, fun activities to share with your family, and the occupational tasks of the job you perform every day in order to earn a living for your Stone Meadows, MO family. At Axes, our occupational and physical therapists can help any individual achieve the activity level they desire. Our services also include:
- Occupational therapy — Our Stone Meadows, MO occupational therapists are an essential part of getting you back to work after a work-related injury. We serve as an integral member of your workers’ compensation team so you can get back to contributing to our Stone Meadows, MO community and providing for your family as you always have. Our advanced work rehabilitation includes Functional Capacity Evaluations to ascertain what functional capacities you are capable of.
- Sports therapy — The last thing anyone who loves playing sports wants to experience is a sudden fall or collision that keeps them off the field or court for anywhere from a couple weeks to a year. If you suffer an ACL tear, rotator cuff tear, or other sports injury, Axes Physical Therapy in Stone Meadows, MO will help you regain your mobility and get you back on the field or court as soon as is safely possible. Our Certified Athletic Trainers can also educate you on the specifics of injury prevention to help you reduce the risk of having to go through an injury again.
- Pre/post surgical rehabilitation — Surgery makes anyone anxious. Whether your surgery is elective or medically necessary, we’ll team up with the doctors recommending and performing your surgery to help you feel confident in your treatment, and formulate a successful plan of action to get the best possible outcome from your procedure.
However limited you currently are in your mobility, and the extent to wish you want to improve it, consult with your Stone Meadows, MO doctor about whether or not physical therapy is a good option for you, or visit one of our locations for a no-obligation injury screening from a qualified physical or occupational therapist.
How a Physical Therapist in Stone Meadows, MO Can Help Improve Your Mobility
Our mobility is based on our strength, flexibility, range of motion, and balance:
- Strength — While physical therapy is effective at rebuilding and maintaining strength, it also helps to make sure no muscle is stronger or weaker than it should be in relation to the muscles around it. Surrounding our joints with healthy and equally strong muscles is vital to preventing injury and improving your mobility.
- Flexibility and range of motion — To achieve optimal movement health, not only do our muscles need to have the strength to control bones, but our muscles, tendons, and other soft tissue need to be able to lengthen, and our joints need to be able to perform a wide variety of movements.
- Balance — Frequent causes of balance issues are:
A clinically experienced physical therapist in Stone Meadows, MO will determine what is causing your limitations in mobility and develop a safe and effective treatment plan to improve your movement health. In addition to therapeutic strength, flexibility, and core exercises, We can help you improve your mobility with:
- Soft tissue mobilization
- Kinesio Taping®
- Trigger point dry needling
- Blood flow restriction training
- Posture correction and teaching correct posture
If required, a physical therapist in Stone Meadows, MO can also mold your very own medically accepted assistive devices such as splints, braces, crutches, or canes in order to help you achieve the best possible mobility.
How Physical Therapy in Stone Meadows, MO Helps Beyond Mobility
Physical therapy does more than just increase mobility. Your evidence-based treatment plans:
- Pain relief, whether from an injury or pain that is chronic in nature without needing to depend on painkillers or opioids
- In some cases, the opportunity to avoid surgery by motivating your body to heal on its own
- Movement health education, including physical therapy techniques you can safely do at home, what you can do to prevent injuries, and correct posture
- Motivating you to maintain an active lifestyle, which leads to enhanced energy, lowers your risk of cardiovascular disease, contributes to a healthy weight, makes you feel better, and encourages your body to get a full 8 hours of sleep
Other services we offer in Stone Meadows, MO include:
- Soft Tissue Mobilization
- Post Surgical Rehabilitation
- Shin Splint Treatment
- Direct Access Physical Therapy
- Gait Analysis
- Pelvic Floor Therapy
- Dry Needling Near Me
- Tendonitis Treatment
- Manual Physical Therapy
- Orthopedic Rehab Near Me
Mobility in Stone Meadows, MO | Axes Physical Therapy
Whether you need hand therapy in order to make it easier for you to use a computer, are looking for meaningful pain management for joint problems, or want to return to your active lifestyle following acute trauma, Axes’ team of licensed physical and occupational therapists is here to help you get back to what you love doing most. We take a client-centered approach. To restore the level of mobility you deserve, request an appointment with Axes Physical Therapy today or find the location that works best for you.