Mobility in Champ, MO. Our bodies are meant to be on the go. But sometimes, we sustain an injury or other condition that keeps us from the activities we love. While that loss of physical mobility affects us in more ways than just physically, Axes Physical Therapy in Champ, MO offers safe, effective, and proven treatment plans that are built specifically to you and your needs. Whether your mobility limitations are the result of acute trauma, a disease, or an impairment in your musculoskeletal structure such as sciatica, take the first steps in optimal mobility and meaningful pain relief now by scheduling a free evaluation with Axes today or calling the the one of our 15 locations nearest you.
The dictionary defines mobility as, “the ability to move… freely and easily.” For some people that is as simple as getting in and out of a chair comfortably, while others have more active lifestyle desires like making a diving catch in their softball league. Whatever mobility means to you, if your mobility is severely restricted speak with your doctor about professional physical therapy services.
Functional Mobility in Champ, MO
Functional mobility is the capacity one has to safely and efficiently get around their home. This can be simple tasks such as comfortably laying down in bed each night or getting in and out of the shower safely. In general, functional mobility can be broken down into three categories:
- Bed mobility — Whether or not you can to scoot, roll, and get in and out of bed comfortably.
- Transfers — Your ability to switch between places, for example from a bed to a chair.
- Ambulation — If you can walk on your own while having objects in your hands.
If you currently need assistance to be functionally mobile, the Champ, MO physical and occupational therapists at Axes are committed to getting your self-sufficiency back. Whether the condition affecting you is a knee injury, arthritis or other joint pain, or even a degenerative condition like Parkinson’s disease, we’ll implement a tailor-made plan that has been proven to help people like you return to optimal mobility. We will guide you in strengthening, balance, and flexibility movements. Our therapists are also highly trained in vestibular therapy for people who have a debilitating vestibular disorder.
Champ, MO physical therapists often utilize the Functional Independence Measure (FIM) of seven levels to evaluate someone’s functional mobility:
- Complete independence, meaning you are able to complete a specified task without assistance and in a timely manner
- Modified independence, meaning you need a device such as crutches to complete the task
- Supervision, meaning you can perform the movement independently but need someone to monitor you so you don’t hurt yourself
- Minimal assistance, meaning you can do 75% or more while a physical therapist does the rest
- Moderate assistance, meaning you can exert 50% of the effort necessary
- Maximal assistance, meaning you can complete about 25% of the task without assistance
- Total assistance or not testable, meaning you can complete less than 25% of the task, or that the activity is not safe to test
At Axes Physical Therapy in Champ, MO, your personalized treatment plan may include gradually allowing you more and more independence until you get the highest level you can. All of our methods are proven to be safe and effective through extensive clinical studies, and your dedicated physical therapist will begin your mobility treatment with a comprehensive examination of your health to ensure that the exercises we use are safe for someone suffering from the same ailment you are.
Beyond Functional Mobility in Champ, MO
Needless to say, many of us desire a higher level of movement health than just being to move between furniture without limitations. There are corners to burn on the football field, fun activities to share with your family, and the vocational tasks you need to carry out every day in order to earn a living for your Champ, MO family. At Axes, our occupational and physical therapists can help any athlete, worker, or family member improve mobility they need to get back to the activities they love. Our services also include:
- Occupational therapy — Our Champ, MO occupational therapists are vital to your return to work when an injury or condition limits the mobility needed to to do your hob. We team up with you and your physician, insurance carrier, workers’ compensation lawyer and employer so you can get back to being an integral member of our Champ, MO community and supporting your family as you always have. Our advanced work rehabilitation includes Functional Capacity Evaluations to ascertain what functional capacities you are capable of.
- Sports therapy — The worst-case scenario for any athlete is an unexpected injury that keeps them inactive and limited for weeks, months, or longer. If you suffer an ACL tear, rotator cuff tear, or other sports injury, Axes Physical Therapy in Champ, MO will help you regain your mobility and get you back on the field or court as soon as is safely possible. Our Certified Athletic Trainers also specialize in injury prevention to help you avoid re-injury.
- Pre/post surgical rehabilitation — Surgery is a complex and nerve-racking procedure for anyone. Whether your surgery is a matter of choice or a strong recommendation from a physician, we’ll work with your physician and surgeons to form a complete surgical team to help you feel confident in your treatment, and develop an effective game plan to restore optimal mobility.
Whatever the current level of mobility, and the extent to wish you want to improve it, consult with your Champ, MO doctor about whether or not physical therapy is a good option for you, or visit one of our locations for a complimentary injury screening from a professional physical or occupational therapist.
How a Physical Therapist in Champ, MO Can Help Improve Your Mobility
The four determinants of mobility are our strength, flexibility, range of motion, and balance:
- Strength — While physical therapy can help rebuild muscle after an injury and slow the weakening of muscles as we age, it also helps achieve muscle balance. Surrounding our joints with healthy and equally strong muscles is vital to preventing injury and reaching optimal movement health.
- Flexibility and range of motion — To improve our mobility to the highest level we can, not only do our muscles need to have the strength to control bones, but our muscles, ligaments, and other soft tissue need to be able to lengthen, and our joints need to be able to perform a wide variety of movements.
- Balance — Balance issues are usually caused by:
A professional physical therapist in Champ, MO will find the root of your limitations in mobility and develop a treatment plan, based on evidence to get you back to the lifestyle you enjoy most. Beyond restorative strength, flexibility, and core exercises, We can help you improve your mobility with:
- Soft tissue mobilization
- Kinesio Taping®
- Trigger point dry needling
- Blood flow restriction training
- Posture correction and good posture education
If necessary, a physical therapist in Champ, MO can also fit you for medically accepted assistive devices including splints, braces, crutches, or canes in order to best facilitate movement.
How Physical Therapy in Champ, MO Helps Beyond Mobility
Physical therapy does more than just increase mobility. Your customized treatment plans:
- Pain relief for both acute and chronic conditions without having to use painkillers or opioids
- If applicable, the opportunity to avoid surgery by encouraging the body’s natural way of healing itself
- Mobility education, including exercises you can safely do at home, what you can do to prevent injuries, and the best postures for improved mobility
- Motivating you to maintain an active lifestyle, carries with it the benefits of increased energy, decreases your risk of cardiovascular disease, helps control weight, makes you feel better, and encourages your body to get a full 8 hours of sleep
Other services we offer in Champ, MO include:
- Shoulder Pain
- Injury Prevention
- Knee Injury
- Joint Pain
- Dry Needling
- ACL Tear
- Pain Management
- Rotator Cuff Tear
Mobility in Champ, MO | Axes Physical Therapy
Whether you are looking for hand therapy in order to make it easier for you to type, are looking for meaningful pain management for arthritis, or want to get back on the field after a sports injury, Axes’ team of licensed physical and occupational therapists is here to help you get back to what you love doing most. We employ a an approach that focuses on personalized treatment. To get back your independence and active lifestyle, request an appointment with Axes Physical Therapy today or find the location nearest for you.