Mobility in Sunset Hills, MO. Our bodies are designed to be on the go. But sometimes, our bodies don’t work the way they should and it impedes us from doing what we love most. While losing your independence because of losing your mobility also have an impact on our emotional well-being, Axes Physical Therapy in Sunset Hills, MO can provide you with treatment plans that have been proven to get results and that are tailored specifically to you, your age, and your desired activity level. Regardless of whether your mobility limitations are the result of acute trauma, a chronic condition, or a musculoskeletal condition such as sciatica, begin your journey to your best possible mobility and a pain-free daily life now by scheduling a mobility and injury analysis with Axes today or calling the the one of our multiple locations most convenient for you.
The dictionary defines mobility as, “the ability to move… freely and easily.” For some people that looks like rolling over in bed without pain, while others have more active lifestyle desires like making a diving catch in their softball league. Whatever you need to improve your movement health for, if you can’t live the life you want pain-free speak with your doctor about professional physical therapy services.
Functional Mobility in Sunset Hills, MO
Functional mobility is the capacity one has to complete basic tasks. This can be anything from getting in and out of bed or getting in and out of the shower safely. In general, functional mobility is typically though of in three different ways:
- Bed mobility — Your ability to scoot, roll, and get in and out of bed with ease.
- Transfers — Your ability to switch between surfaces, for example from a chair, bed, or sofa to another.
- Ambulation — Whether or not you can walk, and can do so while carrying things.
If you currently need assistance to be functionally mobile, the Sunset Hills, MO physical and occupational therapists at Axes are committed to getting your autonomy back. Whether the condition affecting you is a knee injury, arthritis or other joint pain, or even a degenerative condition like Parkinson’s disease, we’ll design a customized plan that safely and correctly helps you reach the best possible movement health. We will guide you in strengthening, balance, and flexibility training. We also offer vestibular therapy for people who have a debilitating vestibular disorder.
The seven level Functional Independence Measure (FIM) is the staple of how to evaluate functional mobility in Sunset Hills, MO:
- Complete independence, meaning you are able to achieve specific mobility thresholds without risk of injury and in a timely manner
- Modified independence, meaning you need a device such as a cane to complete the task
- Supervision, meaning you can perform the movement by yourself but need someone close by so you don’t hurt yourself
- Minimal assistance, meaning you can exert 75% of the effort needed to complete the task or more while someone else helps you the rest of the way
- Moderate assistance, meaning you can exert 50% of the effort necessary
- Maximal assistance, meaning you can complete about 25% of the task yourself
- Total assistance or not testable, meaning you can complete less than 25% of the task, or that even testing whether or not you can do it could lead to you becoming hurt
At Axes Physical Therapy in Sunset Hills, MO, your personalized treatment plan may include gradually allowing you more and more independence until you get the highest level you can. All of our methods are proven to be safe and effective through extensive clinical studies, and at your first appointment with your professional physical therapist, they will perform a comprehensive evaluation of your health to verify that the treatment modalities we have in mind for you are safe for someone in your exact condition.
Beyond Functional Mobility in Sunset Hills, MO
Obviously, simply walking up the stairs pain-free does not define optimal movement health for many of us. There are corners to burn on the football field, your pets to pick up, and the job-related tasks you need to carry out every day in order to earn a living for your Sunset Hills, MO family. At Axes, we offer comprehensive physical and occupational physical therapy that can help any individual improve mobility they need to get back to the activities they love. We also offer:
- Occupational therapy — Our Sunset Hills, MO occupational therapists are crucial to your return to work when an injury or condition does not allow you to carry out the tasks of your job. We serve as an integral member of your workers’ compensation team so you can get back to being an integral member of our Sunset Hills, MO community and providing for your family the best way you can. Our advanced work rehabilitation includes Functional Capacity Evaluations to ascertain if you are ready to return to your job.
- Sports therapy — The last thing any athlete wants to experience is a sudden fall or collision that keeps them off the field or court for weeks, months, or longer. Our Sunset Hills, MO physical therapy team knows how to help those who are sidelined because of ACL tears, rotator cuff tears, and a variety of other injuries. Our Certified Athletic Trainers are big believers in teaching injury prevention to help you reduce the risk of having to go through an injury again.
- Pre/post surgical rehabilitation — Surgery makes anyone anxious. Whether your surgery is a matter of choice or a strong recommendation from a physician, we’ll team up with the doctors recommending and performing your surgery to ease your worry, and develop a proven strategy to restore optimal mobility.
However limited you currently are in your mobility, and the extent to wish you want to improve it, consult with your Sunset Hills, MO doctor about what physical therapy can do for you, or visit one of our locations for a complimentary injury screening from a qualified physical or occupational therapist.
How a Physical Therapist in Sunset Hills, MO Can Help Improve Your Mobility
The four determinants of mobility are our strength, flexibility, range of motion, and balance:
- Strength — While physical therapy is effective at rebuilding and maintaining strength, it also helps achieve muscle balance. Having proportionately strong muscles around joints is crucial in preventing injury and improving your mobility.
- Flexibility and range of motion — To achieve optimal movement health, not only do our muscles need to have the strength to control bones, but our muscles, ligaments, and other soft tissue need to be able to lengthen, and our joints need to be able to perform a wide variety of movements.
- Balance — Frequent causes of balance issues include:
A professional physical therapist in Sunset Hills, MO will be able to identify the source of your limitations in mobility and come up with a treatment plan, based on empirical research to improve your movement health. In addition to restorative strength, flexibility, and core exercises, other evidence-backed techniques may include:
- Soft tissue mobilization
- Kinesio Taping®
- Trigger point dry needling
- Blood flow restriction training
- Posture correction and correct posture education
If your doctor and therapy team agree, a physical therapist in Sunset Hills, MO can also create custom medically accepted assistive devices including splints, braces, crutches, or canes in order to aid you in your mobility and reduce risk of injury.
How Physical Therapy in Sunset Hills, MO Helps Beyond Mobility
The benefits of physical therapy go beyond just getting around easier, getting back to work, or getting back on the field. As we work to improve your movement health, you’ll also see the following benefits:
- Pain relief, whether from an injury or pain that is chronic in nature without having to use painkillers or opioids
- Depending on the nature of your mobility limitations, the potential to avoid surgery by motivating your body to heal on its own
- Patient education, including physical therapy techniques you can safely do at home, injury prevention techniques, and correct posture
- Motivating better physical health, carries with it the benefits of enhanced energy, lowers your odds of developing cardiovascular disease, helps control weight, improves your mood, and encourages your body to get a full 8 hours of sleep
Other services we offer in Sunset Hills, MO include:
- Shoulder Pain
- Injury Prevention
- Knee Injury
- Joint Pain
- Dry Needling
- ACL Tear
- Pain Management
- Rotator Cuff Tear
Mobility in Sunset Hills, MO | Axes Physical Therapy
Whether you need hand therapy in order to make it easier for you to do basic everyday things, are looking for meaningful pain management for joint problems, or need to return to optimal movement health following a devastating injury, Axes’ team of licensed physical and occupational therapists is here to help you get back to what you love doing most. We employ a client-centered approach. To get back your independence and active lifestyle, request an appointment with Axes Physical Therapy today or call the location most convenient for you.