Mobility in Byrnes Mill, MO. Our bodies are built to to make walking and other movements easy. But sometimes, our bodies don’t work the way they should and it keeps us from our favorite activities, or even just being able to carry out or daily live pain-free. While experiencing pain and other factors that affect mobility affects us in more ways than just physically, Axes Physical Therapy in Byrnes Mill, MO can provide you with solutions that have been proven to work and that are tailored specifically to you and your needs. Regardless of whether your mobility is limited because of an injury, a degenerative condition, or an impairment in your musculoskeletal structure such as sciatica, begin your journey to optimal mobility and meaningful pain relief as soon as possible by scheduling a free evaluation with Axes today or calling the the one of our 15 locations most convenient for you.
The dictionary defines mobility as, “the ability to move… freely and easily.” For some Byrnes Mill, MO residents that may mean getting in and out of a chair comfortably, while for others it may mean sprinting down the basketball court on a fast break. Whatever you need to improve your movement health for, if you can’t live the life you want pain-free speak with a physician to see if physical therapy is the right choice for you.
Functional Mobility in Byrnes Mill, MO
Functional mobility is the capacity one has to safely and efficiently get around their home. This can be simple tasks such as getting in and out of bed or getting in and out of the shower safely. Fundamentally, there are three types of functional mobility:
- Bed mobility — Whether or not you are able to to scoot, roll, and get in and out of bed comfortably.
- Transfers — Your ability to switch between places, for example from a bed to a chair.
- Ambulation — Your ability to walk freely without the need of assistance. This also includes walking while being able to carry objects.
If you currently need assistance to be functionally mobile, the Byrnes Mill, MO physical and occupational therapists at Axes are devoted to helping you regain your freedom. Whether you currently lack full functional mobility as a result of a knee injury, arthritis or other joint pain, or even a a progressive disorder like Parkinson’s disease, we’ll guide you through your journey to the best possible movement health. Part of your treatment will likely be simple and safe strengthening, balance, and flexibility exercises. We also offer vestibular therapy to help with vestibular disorders that cause dizziness and vertigo.
The seven level Functional Independence Measure (FIM) is the main way to determine functional mobility in Byrnes Mill, MO:
- Complete independence, meaning you are able to complete a specified task safely and without taking an excessive amount of time
- Modified independence, meaning you need a device such as crutches to complete the task
- Stand-by assist, meaning you can perform the movement by yourself but need someone to monitor you so you don’t hurt yourself
- Minimal assistance, meaning you can exert 75% of the effort needed to complete the task or more while a physical therapist does the rest
- Moderate assistance, meaning you can perform about half of the work needed
- Maximal assistance, meaning you can complete about 25% of the task yourself
- Total assistance or not testable, meaning you can complete less than 25% of the task, or that the activity is not safe to test
At Axes Physical Therapy in Byrnes Mill, MO, your personalized treatment plan may include gradually taking you from the first level to the highest level possible. All of our treatment plans are based on what research says works best for you, and when you and your licensed physical therapist first meet, they will perform a thorough evaluation of your health to verify that the exercises we use are safe for someone in your exact condition.
Beyond Functional Mobility in Byrnes Mill, MO
To be sure, simply rolling over in bed without limitations does not define optimal movement health for many of us. There are pickleball leagues to dominate, fun activities to share with your family, and the vocational tasks you need to carry out every day in order to provide for your Byrnes Mill, MO family. At Axes, we offer comprehensive physical and occupational physical therapy that can help any athlete, worker, or family member reach the optimal movement health they need to get back to the activities they love. We also offer:
- Occupational therapy — Our Byrnes Mill, MO occupational therapists are an essential part of getting you back to work after a work-related injury. We team up with you and your physician, insurance carrier, attorney and employer so you can get back to helping our Byrnes Mill, MO community and providing for your family as you want to. Our advanced work rehabilitation includes Functional Capacity Evaluations to ascertain what activity level you can safely carry out.
- Sports therapy — Every athletes worst nightmare is an unexpected injury that keeps them inactive and limited for anywhere from a couple weeks to a year. If you suffer an ACL tear, rotator cuff tear, or other sports injury, Axes Physical Therapy in Byrnes Mill, MO will help you restore your mobility and get you back on the field or court as soon as is safely possible. Our Certified Athletic Trainers are big believers in teaching injury prevention to help you stay off the sidelines.
- Pre/post surgical rehabilitation — Surgery is a complex and nerve-racking procedure for anyone. Whether your surgery is a matter of choice or a strong recommendation from a physician, we’ll team up with the doctors recommending and performing your surgery to give you piece of mind, and formulate a successful strategy to get the best possible outcome from your procedure.
Whatever the current level of mobility, and the level of movement health you desire, consult with your Byrnes Mill, MO doctor about whether or not physical therapy is a good option for you, or visit one of our locations for a free injury screening from a qualified physical or occupational therapist.
How a Physical Therapist in Byrnes Mill, MO Can Help Improve Your Mobility
The four tenets of mobility are our strength, flexibility, range of motion, and balance:
- Strength — While physical therapy can help rebuild muscle after an injury and slow the weakening of muscles as we age, it also helps to make sure no muscle is stronger or weaker than it should be in relation to the muscles around it. Having proportionately strong muscles around joints is imperative in preventing injury and improving your mobility.
- Flexibility and range of motion — To achieve optimal movement health, our muscles, ligaments, and other soft tissue need to be able to lengthen so that the joints they control and protect can function at their highest level.
- Balance — Balance issues are commonly caused by:
A professional physical therapist in Byrnes Mill, MO will determine what is causing your limitations in mobility and come up with a safe and effective treatment plan to get you back to the activities you love. Beyond restorative strength, flexibility, and core exercises, your treatment plan may also include:
- Soft tissue mobilization
- Kinesio Taping®
- Trigger point dry needling
- Blood flow restriction training
- Posture correction and teaching correct posture
If necessary, a physical therapist in Byrnes Mill, MO can also mold your very own medically accepted assistive devices including splints, braces, crutches, or canes in order to aid you in your mobility and reduce risk of injury.
How Physical Therapy in Byrnes Mill, MO Helps Beyond Mobility
Physical therapy does more than just increase mobility. As we work to improve your movement health, you’ll also see the following benefits:
- Pain relief for both acute and chronic conditions without the need of prescription medications
- If applicable, the potential to avoid a surgical procedure by encouraging the body’s natural way of healing itself
- Patient education, including exercises you can safely do at home, what you can do to prevent injuries, and correct posture
- Encouraging you to maintain an active lifestyle, which leads to enhanced energy, lowers your odds of developing heart disease, helps control weight, improves your mood, and promotes better sleep
Other services we offer in Byrnes Mill, MO include:
- Shoulder Pain
- Injury Prevention
- Knee Injury
- Joint Pain
- Dry Needling
- ACL Tear
- Pain Management
- Rotator Cuff Tear
Mobility in Byrnes Mill, MO | Axes Physical Therapy
Whether you are looking for hand therapy in order to make it easier for you to open jars, are in need of meaningful pain management for joint problems, or want to return to your active lifestyle following acute trauma, Axes’ team of licensed physical and occupational therapists is here to help you get back to the activities you love. We practice a client-centered approach. To get back your independence and active lifestyle, request an appointment with Axes Physical Therapy today or find the location most convenient for you.