Mobility in Pevely, MO. Our bodies are built to be on the go. But sometimes, our bodies don’t work the way they should and it keeps us from doing what we love most. While losing your independence because of losing your mobility can affect our mental health as well, Axes Physical Therapy in Pevely, MO can develop safe, effective, and evidence-backed solutions that are tailored specifically to getting you back to the life you want to live. Whether your mobility is limited because of acute trauma, a disease, or an impairment in your musculoskeletal structure such as sciatica, begin your journey to optimal mobility and a pain-free daily life as soon as possible by requesting an appointment with Axes today or calling the location nearest you.
The dictionary defines mobility as, “the ability to move… freely and easily.” For some Pevely, MO residents that looks like picking up their kids without pain, while others have more active lifestyle desires like making a diving catch in their softball league. Whatever you need to improve your movement health for, if you can’t live the life you want comfortable speak with your doctor to see if physical therapy is the right choice for you.
Functional Mobility in Pevely, MO
Functional mobility refers to a person’s ability to safely get around their home. This can be simple tasks such as comfortably laying down in bed each night or carrying a cup of coffee to another room and sitting on the couch. Fundamentally, functional mobility can be broken down into three categories:
- Bed mobility — Your ability to easily move around in bed, including rolling, scooting, sitting up, and lying down.
- Transfers — Your ability to move from one place to another, for example from a bed to a chair.
- Ambulation — If you can walk on your own while having objects in your hands.
If you currently need assistance to be functionally mobile, the Pevely, MO physical and occupational therapists at Axes are committed to getting your freedom back. Whether you currently lack full functional mobility as a result of a knee injury, arthritis or other joint pain, or even a degenerative condition like Parkinson’s disease, we’ll create a tailor-made plan that has been proven to help people like you return to optimal mobility. Part of your treatment will likely be simple and safe strengthening, balance, and flexibility exercises. We also offer vestibular therapy for people who have a debilitating vestibular disorder.
Pevely, MO physical therapists often use the Functional Independence Measure (FIM) of seven levels to evaluate someone’s functional mobility:
- Complete independence, meaning you can achieve specific mobility thresholds safely and in a relatively normal amount of time
- Modified independence, meaning you can perform certain movements but only with a walker, a cane, or crutches
- Stand-by assist, meaning you can complete the task independently but need someone standing by for safety
- Minimal assistance, meaning you can do 75% or more while someone else does the rest
- Moderate assistance, meaning you can perform about 50% of the work needed
- Maximal assistance, meaning you can complete about 25% of the task independently
- Total assistance or not testable, meaning you are unable to put in a quarter of the work required, or that the activity is not safe to test
At Axes Physical Therapy in Pevely, MO, your tailor-made treatment plan may include gradually taking you from the first level to the highest level you are able to achieve. All of our methods are proven to be safe and effective through extensive clinical studies, and at your first appointment with your professional physical therapist, they will perform a thorough examination of your health to verify that the treatment modalities we use are safe for someone in your exact condition.
Beyond Functional Mobility in Pevely, MO
Of course, many of us desire a higher level of movement health than just being to move between furniture pain-free. There are fast breaks to run, fun activities to share with your family, and the vocational tasks you need to carry out every day so that you can put food on the table for your Pevely, MO family. At Axes, our occupational and physical therapists can help any individual improve mobility they need to get back to the activities they love. Our services also include:
- Occupational therapy — Our Pevely, MO occupational therapists are an essential part of getting you back to work after a work-related injury. We team up with you and your physician, insurance carrier, attorney and employer so you can get back to contributing to our Pevely, MO community and supporting your family as you want to. Our advanced work rehabilitation includes Functional Capacity Evaluations to determine if you can safely go back to work either fully or at some level.
- Sports therapy — Every athletes worst nightmare is a sudden pop or crack that keeps them off the field or court for weeks, months, or longer. Our Pevely, MO physical therapy team is experienced in helping those who are sidelined because of ACL tears, rotator cuff tears, and a variety of other injuries. Our Certified Athletic Trainers are big believers in teaching injury prevention to help you stay off the sidelines.
- Pre/post surgical rehabilitation — Surgery and your recovery from it are delicate matters that make anyone nervous. Whether your surgery is a matter of choice or a strong recommendation from a physician, we’ll work with your physician and surgeons to form a complete surgical team to help you feel confident in your treatment, and develop an effective game plan to get the best possible outcome from your procedure.
Whatever the current level of mobility, and the level of movement health you desire, consult with your Pevely, MO doctor about whether or not physical therapy is a good option for you, or visit one of our locations for a free injury screening from a licensed physical or occupational therapist.
How a Physical Therapist in Pevely, MO Can Help Improve Your Mobility
The four determinants of mobility are our strength, flexibility, range of motion, and balance:
- Strength — While physical therapy can help rebuild muscle after an injury and slow the weakening of muscles as we age, it also helps achieve muscle balance. Surrounding our joints with healthy and equally strong muscles is crucial in preventing injury and improving your mobility.
- Flexibility and range of motion — To achieve optimal movement health, our muscles, tendons, and other soft tissue need to be able to lengthen so that the joints they control and protect can function at their highest level.
- Balance — Frequent causes of balance issues are:
An experienced physical therapist in Pevely, MO will be able to identify the source of your mobility issues and come up with a safe and effective treatment plan to improve your movement health. In addition to restorative strength, flexibility, and core exercises, We can help you improve your mobility with:
- Soft tissue mobilization
- Kinesio Taping®
- Trigger point dry needling
- Blood flow restriction training
- Posture correction and correct posture education
If required, a physical therapist in Pevely, MO can also mold your very own medically accepted assistive devices including splints, braces, crutches, or canes in order to help you achieve the best possible mobility.
How Physical Therapy in Pevely, MO Helps Beyond Mobility
The benefits of physical therapy go beyond just getting around easier, getting back to work, or getting back on the field. As we work to reach optimal movement health, you’ll also see the following benefits:
- Pain relief for both acute and chronic conditions without needing to depend on painkillers or opioids
- In some cases, the opportunity to avoid surgery by motivating your body to heal on its own
- Mobility education, including exercises you can do in the comfort of your own home with no risk to injury, injury prevention techniques, and the best postures for improved mobility
- Motivating you to maintain an active lifestyle, carries with it the benefits of enhanced energy, decreases your odds of developing cardiovascular disease, helps control weight, improves your mood, and promotes better sleep
Other services we offer in Pevely, MO include:
- Shoulder Pain
- Injury Prevention
- Knee Injury
- Joint Pain
- Dry Needling
- ACL Tear
- Pain Management
- Rotator Cuff Tear
Mobility in Pevely, MO | Axes Physical Therapy
Whether you are looking for hand therapy in order to make it easier for you to write, are in need of meaningful pain management for joint problems, or want to get back on the field after a sports injury, Axes’ team of licensed physical and occupational therapists is here to help you get back to what you love doing most. We pride ourselves on our client-centered approach. To restore the level of mobility you deserve, request an appointment with Axes Physical Therapy today or reach out to the location most convenient for you.