Mobility in Windsor Springs, MO. Our bodies are designed to to make walking and other movements easy. But sometimes, we sustain an injury or other condition that prevents us from the activities we love. While experiencing pain and other factors that affect mobility affects us in more ways than just physically, Axes Physical Therapy in Windsor Springs, MO can provide you with safe, effective, and proven solutions that are built specifically to getting you back to the life you want to live. Whether your mobility is limited because of acute trauma, a degenerative condition, or a musculoskeletal condition such as sciatica, start on the road back to optimal mobility and comfort as soon as possible by requesting a mobility and injury analysis with Axes today or calling the the one of our multiple locations nearest you.
The dictionary defines mobility as, “the ability to move… freely and easily.” For some of us that may mean rolling over in bed without pain, while others have more active lifestyle desires like sprinting down the basketball court on a fast break. Whatever you need to improve your movement health for, if can’t complete the activities you want to consult with your doctor to see if physical therapy is the right choice for you.
Functional Mobility in Windsor Springs, MO
Functional mobility is the capacity one has to safely and efficiently get around their home. This can be simple tasks such as moving around in bed or getting in and out of the shower safely. In general, functional mobility is typically though of in three different ways:
- Bed mobility — Your ability to easily move around in bed, including rolling, scooting, sitting up, and lying down.
- Transfers — Your ability to move from one surface to another, for example from a bed to a chair.
- Ambulation — If you can walk on your own while having objects in your hands.
If you cannot currently complete some or all of the tasks above without a person or assistive device helping you, the Windsor Springs, MO physical and occupational therapists at Axes are devoted to helping you restore your independence. Whether you currently lack full functional mobility as a result of an ACL tear, arthritis or other joint pain, or even a a progressive disorder like Parkinson’s disease, we’ll guide you through your journey to optimal mobility. We will guide you in strengthening, balance, and flexibility exercises. Our therapists are also specialists vestibular therapy for people who have a debilitating vestibular disorder.
The seven level Functional Independence Measure (FIM) is the staple of how to determine functional mobility in Windsor Springs, MO:
- Complete independence, meaning you are able to achieve specific mobility thresholds without assistance and in a relatively normal amount of time
- Modified independence, meaning you can perform certain movements but only with a walker, a cane, or crutches
- Stand-by assist, meaning you can perform the movement independently but need someone to monitor you to prevent risk of injury
- Minimal assistance, meaning you can do 75% or more while someone else does the rest
- Moderate assistance, meaning you can exert 50% of the effort necessary
- Maximal assistance, meaning you can put in a quarter of the work of the task yourself
- Total assistance or not testable, meaning you are unable to put in 25% of the effort required, or that the activity is not safe to test
At Axes Physical Therapy in Windsor Springs, MO, your personalized treatment plan may include safely taking you up through the seven levels, or at least to the highest level you are able to achieve. All of our treatment plans are based on what research says works best for you, and your dedicated physical therapist will begin your mobility treatment with a comprehensive evaluation of your health to verify that the exercises we use are safe for someone suffering from the same ailment you are.
Beyond Functional Mobility in Windsor Springs, MO
To be sure, simply walking up the stairs comfortably does not define optimal movement health for many of us. There are fast breaks to run, fun activities to share with your family, and the occupational tasks of the job you carry out every day so that you can earn a living for your Windsor Springs, MO family. At Axes, we offer comprehensive physical and occupational physical therapy that can help any individual reach the optimal movement health they need to get back to the activities they love. We also offer:
- Occupational therapy — Our Windsor Springs, MO occupational therapists are vital to your recovery when an injury or condition limits the mobility needed to to do your hob. We team up with you and your physician, insurance carrier, workers’ compensation lawyer and employer so you can get back to being an integral member of our Windsor Springs, MO community and providing for your family as you always have. Our advanced work rehabilitation includes Functional Capacity Evaluations to ascertain if you are ready to return to your job.
- Sports therapy — The worst-case scenario for anyone who loves playing sports is a sudden fall or collision that sidelines them and keeps them from what they love for weeks, months, or longer. If you suffer an ACL tear, rotator cuff tear, or other sports injury, Axes Physical Therapy in Windsor Springs, MO will help you regain your mobility and get you back on the field or court as soon as is safely possible. Our Certified Athletic Trainers are big believers in teaching injury prevention to help you reduce the risk of having to go through an injury again.
- Pre/post surgical rehabilitation — Surgery makes anyone anxious. Whether your surgery is a matter of choice or a strong recommendation from a physician, we’ll work with your physician and surgeons to form a complete surgical team to help you feel confident in your treatment, and formulate a proven game plan to get the best possible outcome from your procedure.
Whatever the current level of mobility, and the level of improved mobility you desire, consult with your Windsor Springs, MO doctor about what physical therapy can do for you, or visit one of our locations for a complimentary injury screening from a licensed physical or occupational therapist.
How a Physical Therapist in Windsor Springs, MO Can Help Improve Your Mobility
Our mobility is based on our strength, flexibility, range of motion, and balance:
- Strength — While physical therapy is effective at rebuilding and maintaining strength, it also helps to make sure no muscle is stronger or weaker than it should be in relation to the muscles around it. Achieving equal muscle balance around joints is vital to preventing injury and improving your mobility.
- Flexibility and range of motion — To reach the movement health and lifestyle we desire, our muscles, ligaments, and other soft tissue need to be able to lengthen so that the joints they control and protect can function at their highest level.
- Balance — Frequent causes of balance issues include:
- Problems with vision
- A vestibular disorder, or a problem in your inner ear
- Your proprioceptive system, the sense of awareness ingrained in our muscles and joints
A clinically experienced physical therapist in Windsor Springs, MO will determine what is causing your mobility issues and develop a safe and effective treatment plan to get you back to the lifestyle you enjoy most. In addition to therapeutic strength, flexibility, and core exercises, We can help you improve your mobility with:
- Soft tissue mobilization
- Kinesio Taping®
- Trigger point dry needling
- Blood flow restriction training
- Posture correction and correct posture education
If necessary, a physical therapist in Windsor Springs, MO can also fit you for medically accepted assistive devices including splints, braces, crutches, or canes in order to aid you in your mobility and reduce risk of injury.
How Physical Therapy in Windsor Springs, MO Helps Beyond Mobility
Physical therapy does more than just increase mobility. Your evidence-based treatment plans:
- Pain relief, whether from an injury or pain that is chronic in nature without needing to depend on costly and potentially habit forming prescription drugs
- In some cases, the potential to avoid a surgical procedure by encouraging the body’s own healing methods
- Movement health education, including exercises you can safely do at home, injury prevention techniques, and correct posture
- Motivating you to maintain an active lifestyle, carries with it the benefits of enhanced energy, decreases your risk of heart disease, helps control weight, improves your mood, and promotes better sleep
Other services we offer in Windsor Springs, MO include:
- Dry Needling Near Me
- Tendonitis Treatment
- Manual Physical Therapy
- Orthopedic Rehab Near Me
- Beginner Running Program
- Chronic Pain Treatment
- Spine Specialist Near Me
- MCL Injury
- Shoulder Pain
- Injury Prevention
Mobility in Windsor Springs, MO | Axes Physical Therapy
Whether you need hand therapy in order to make it easier for you to use a computer, are in need of meaningful pain management for joint problems, or want to get back on the field after a sports injury, Axes’ team of licensed physical and occupational therapists will develop and implement the treatment plan that works best for you. We practice a client-centered approach. To restore the level of mobility you deserve, request an appointment with Axes Physical Therapy today or reach out to the location most convenient for you.