Mobility in Boles, MO. Our bodies are designed to move. But sometimes, our mobility is impeded and it keeps us from doing what we love most. While that loss of physical mobility can affect our mental health as well, Axes Physical Therapy in Boles, MO offers treatment plans that have been proven to work and that are customized specifically to you and your needs. Regardless of whether your mobility is limited because of an injury, a disease, or a musculoskeletal condition such as sciatica, start on the road back to optimal movement health and comfort now by requesting a free evaluation with Axes today or calling the the one of our 15 locations most convenient for you.
The dictionary definition of mobility is, “the ability to move… freely and easily.” For some of us that is as simple as picking up their grandchildren comfortably, while for others it may mean making a diving catch in their softball league. Whatever it means to you, if you can’t live the life you want pain-free consult with a physician about professional physical therapy services.
Functional Mobility in Boles, MO
Functional mobility is the capacity one has to complete basic tasks. This includes simple tasks such as getting in and out of bed or bringing a cup of coffee to the living room and sitting down. In general, functional mobility can be broken down into three categories:
- Bed mobility — Your ability to easily move around in bed, including rolling, scooting, sitting up, and lying down.
- Transfers — Whether or not you are able to switch between surfaces, for example from one chair to another.
- Ambulation — Your ability to walk freely without the need of assistance. This also includes walking while being able to carry objects.
If you currently need assistance to be functionally mobile, the Boles, MO physical and occupational therapists at Axes are dedicated to helping you regain your autonomy. Whether your currently limited functional mobility was caused by a knee injury, arthritis or other joint pain, or even a central nervous system disorder like Parkinson’s disease, we’ll guide you through your journey to the best possible mobility. Most treatment plans include strengthening, balance, and flexibility movements. Our therapists are also highly trained in vestibular therapy for people who have a debilitating vestibular disorder.
Boles, MO physical therapists often utilize the Functional Independence Measure (FIM) of seven levels to evaluate someone’s functional mobility:
- Complete independence, meaning you can achieve specific mobility thresholds without assistance and in a timely manner
- Modified independence, meaning you can perform specific movements but only with an assistive device
- Stand-by assist, meaning you can perform the movement by yourself but need someone standing by to prevent risk of injury
- Minimal assistance, meaning you can exert 75% of the work needed to complete the task or more while someone else helps you the rest of the way
- Moderate assistance, meaning you can perform about half of the work necessary
- Maximal assistance, meaning you can complete about 25% of the task independently
- Total assistance or not testable, meaning you are unable to put in 25% of the work required, or that even testing whether or not you can do it is not safe
At Axes Physical Therapy in Boles, MO, your customized treatment plan may include safely taking you up through the seven levels, or at least to the highest level possible. All of our methods are based on what research says works best for you, and at your first appointment with your professional physical therapist, they will perform a comprehensive examination of your health to confirm that the exercises we use are safe for someone suffering from the same ailment you are.
Beyond Functional Mobility in Boles, MO
Of course, simply being to move between chairs independently does not define optimal movement health for many of us. There are doubles to hit in your softball league, your pets to pick up, and the occupational tasks of the job you carry out every day in order to put food on the table for your Boles, MO family. At Axes, we offer comprehensive physical and occupational physical therapy that can help any individual achieve the activity level they desire. Our services also include:
- Occupational therapy — Our Boles, MO occupational therapists are an essential part of getting you back to work after a work-related injury. We serve as an integral member of your workers’ compensation team so you can get back to contributing to our Boles, MO community and supporting your family as you always have. Our advanced work rehabilitation includes Functional Capacity Evaluations to ascertain if you can safely go back to work either fully or in some capacity.
- Sports therapy — The worst-case scenario for anyone who loves playing sports is an unexpected pop or crack that keeps them off the field or court for weeks, months, or longer. Our Boles, MO physical therapy team knows how to help those who are sidelined because of ACL tears, rotator cuff tears, and a variety of other injuries. Our Certified Athletic Trainers also specialize in injury prevention to help you stay off the sidelines.
- Pre/post surgical rehabilitation — Surgery is a complex and nerve-racking procedure for anyone. Whether your surgery is elective or medically necessary, we’ll work with your physician and surgeons to form a complete surgical team to ease your worry, and formulate a successful game plan to restore optimal mobility.
Whatever the current level of mobility, and lifestyle you are trying to get back to, consult with your Boles, MO doctor about whether or not physical therapy is a good option for you, or visit one of our locations for a no-obligation injury screening from a clinically experienced physical or occupational therapist.
How a Physical Therapist in Boles, MO Can Help Improve Your Mobility
The four tenets of mobility are our strength, flexibility, range of motion, and balance:
- Strength — While physical therapy is effective at rebuilding and maintaining strength, it also helps achieve muscle balance. Achieving proportionately strong muscles around joints is essential in preventing injury and improving your mobility.
- Flexibility and range of motion — To improve our mobility to the highest level we can, not only do our muscles need to have the strength to control bones, but our muscles, tendons, and other soft tissue need to be able to lengthen, and our joints need to be able to perform a wide variety of movements.
- Balance — Problems with balance are usually caused by:
A professional physical therapist in Boles, MO will be able to identify the source of your mobility issues and develop a treatment plan, based on evidence to improve your movement health. In addition to therapeutic strength, flexibility, and core exercises, your treatment plan may also include:
- Soft tissue mobilization
- Kinesio Taping®
- Trigger point dry needling
- Blood flow restriction training
- Posture correction and teaching correct posture
If your doctor and therapy team agree, a physical therapist in Boles, MO can also create custom medically accepted assistive devices such as splints, braces, crutches, or canes in order to aid you in your mobility and reduce risk of injury.
How Physical Therapy in Boles, MO Helps Beyond Mobility
The benefits of physical therapy go beyond just getting around easier, getting back to work, or getting back on the field. As we work to reach optimal movement health, you’ll also see the following benefits:
- Pain relief for both acute and chronic conditions without the need of prescription medications
- If applicable, the potential to avoid a surgical procedure by encouraging the body’s own healing methods
- Movement health education, including physical therapy techniques you can do in the comfort of your own home with no risk to injury, injury prevention techniques, and correct posture
- Motivating better physical health, carries with it the benefits of increased energy, lowers your risk of cardiovascular disease, contributes to a healthy weight, makes you feel better, and encourages your body to get a full 8 hours of sleep
Other services we offer in Boles, MO include:
- Shoulder Pain
- Injury Prevention
- Knee Injury
- Joint Pain
- Dry Needling
- ACL Tear
- Pain Management
- Rotator Cuff Tear
Mobility in Boles, MO | Axes Physical Therapy
Whether you need hand therapy in order to make it easier for you to use a computer, are in need of meaningful pain management for arthritis, or want to get back on the field after a sports injury, Axes’ team of licensed physical and occupational therapists is here to help you get back to what you love doing most. We pride ourselves on our an approach that focuses on personalized treatment. To restore the level of mobility you deserve, request an appointment with Axes Physical Therapy today or reach out to the location that works best for you.