Mobility in Mapaville, MO. Our bodies are designed to move. But sometimes, we sustain an injury or other condition that keeps us from our favorite activities, or even just being able to carry out or daily live pain-free. While experiencing pain and other factors that affect mobility also have an impact on our emotional well-being, Axes Physical Therapy in Mapaville, MO can implement safe, effective, and evidence-backed treatment plans that are customized specifically to getting you back to the life you want to live. No matter if your mobility is limited because of an injury, a disease, or an impairment in your musculoskeletal skeleton such as sciatica, begin your journey to your best possible movement health and comfort now by scheduling a mobility and injury analysis with Axes today or calling the the one of our 15 locations nearest you.
The one definition of mobility is, “the ability to move… freely and easily.” For some people that is as simple as walking up the stairs without pain, while others need to get back to sprinting down the basketball court on a fast break. Whatever you need to improve your movement health for, if can’t complete the activities you want to speak with a physician about professional physical therapy and movement health services.
Functional Mobility in Mapaville, MO
Functional mobility is the capacity one has to safely and efficiently get around their home. This includes simple tasks such as getting in and out of bed or walking up a flight of stairs. In general, there are three types of functional mobility:
- Bed mobility — Whether or not you are able to to scoot, roll, and get in and out of bed comfortably.
- Transfers — Whether or not you are able to switch between surfaces, for example from a chair, bed, or sofa to another.
- Ambulation — Your ability to walk freely without the need of assistance. This also includes walking while being able to carry objects.
While the injury or condition affecting your functional mobility may mean that you currently rely on assistance in order to operate in your daily life, the Mapaville, MO physical and occupational therapists at Axes are committed to getting your autonomy back. Whether your currently limited functional mobility was caused by an ACL tear, arthritis or other joint pain, or even a central nervous system disorder like Parkinson’s disease, we’ll implement a tailor-made plan that safely and correctly helps you reach optimal movement health. We will guide you in strengthening, balance, and flexibility movements. We also offer vestibular therapy for people who have a debilitating vestibular disorder.
Mapaville, MO physical therapists often use the Functional Independence Measure (FIM) of seven levels to evaluate someone’s functional mobility:
- Complete independence, meaning you can achieve specific mobility thresholds safely and in a timely manner
- Modified independence, meaning you need a device such as a cane to complete the task
- Stand-by assist, meaning you can complete the task independently but need someone to monitor you to prevent risk of injury
- Minimal assistance, meaning you can exert 75% of the work needed to complete the task or more while a physical therapist helps you the rest of the way
- Moderate assistance, meaning you can exert half of the effort needed
- Maximal assistance, meaning you can complete about 25% of the task independently
- Total assistance or not testable, meaning you are unable to put in 25% of the effort required, or that even testing whether or not you can do it is not safe
At Axes Physical Therapy in Mapaville, MO, your customized treatment plan may include safely taking you up through the seven levels, or at least to the highest level possible. All of our treatment plans are proven to be safe and effective through extensive clinical studies, and your dedicated physical therapist will begin your mobility treatment with a comprehensive evaluation of your health to verify that the exercises we use are safe for someone suffering from the same ailment you are.
Beyond Functional Mobility in Mapaville, MO
Needless to say, many of us desire a higher level of movement health than just walking up the stairs without limitations. There are pickleball leagues to dominate, your children to pick up, and the occupational tasks of the job you perform every day in order to provide for your Mapaville, MO family. At Axes, our occupational and physical therapists can help any athlete, worker, or family member achieve the activity level they desire. Our services also include:
- Occupational therapy — Our Mapaville, MO occupational therapists are an essential part of getting you back to work after a work-related injury. We serve as an integral member of your workers’ compensation team so you can get back to being an integral member of our Mapaville, MO community and providing for your family as you want to. Our advanced work rehabilitation includes Functional Capacity Evaluations to determine what functional capacities you are capable of.
- Sports therapy — The worst-case scenario for anyone who loves playing sports is a sudden injury that keeps them inactive and limited for weeks, months, or longer. Our Mapaville, MO physical therapy team is experienced in helping those who are sidelined because of ACL tears, rotator cuff tears, and a variety of other injuries. Our Certified Athletic Trainers are big believers in teaching injury prevention to help you stay off the sidelines.
- Pre/post surgical rehabilitation — Surgery and your recovery from it are delicate matters that make anyone nervous. Whether your surgery is elective or medically necessary, we’ll work with your physician and surgeons to form a complete surgical team to ease your worry, and develop an effective plan of action to restore optimal mobility.
However limited you currently are in your mobility, and the level of movement health you desire, consult with your Mapaville, MO doctor about what physical therapy can do for you, or come see us for a free injury screening from a professional physical or occupational therapist.
How a Physical Therapist in Mapaville, MO Can Help Improve Your Mobility
The four determinants of mobility are our strength, flexibility, range of motion, and balance:
- Strength — While physical therapy is effective at rebuilding and maintaining strength, it also helps to make sure no muscle is stronger or weaker than it should be in relation to the muscles around it. Surrounding our joints with healthy and equally strong muscles is imperative in preventing injury and reaching optimal movement health.
- Flexibility and range of motion — To improve our mobility to the highest level we can, our muscles, tendons, and other soft tissue need to be able to lengthen so that the joints they control and protect can function properly.
- Balance — Frequent causes of balance issues include:
A professional physical therapist in Mapaville, MO will determine what is causing your limitations in mobility and come up with a safe and effective treatment plan to improve your movement health. In addition to therapeutic strength, flexibility, and core exercises, We can help you improve your mobility with:
- Soft tissue mobilization
- Kinesio Taping®
- Trigger point dry needling
- Blood flow restriction training
- Posture correction and teaching correct posture
If required, a physical therapist in Mapaville, MO can also mold your very own medically accepted assistive devices such as splints, braces, crutches, or canes in order to help you achieve the best possible mobility.
How Physical Therapy in Mapaville, MO Helps Beyond Mobility
Physical therapy does more than just increase mobility. Your customized treatment plans:
- Pain relief for both acute and chronic conditions without having to use prescription medications
- Depending on the nature of your mobility limitations, the potential to avoid surgery by motivating your body to heal on its own
- Movement health education, including exercises you can do in the comfort of your own home with no risk to injury, what you can do to prevent injuries, and the best postures for improved mobility
- Encouraging you to maintain an active lifestyle, which leads to enhanced energy, lowers your odds of developing heart disease, helps control weight, improves your mood, and promotes better sleep
Other services we offer in Mapaville, MO include:
- Shin Splint Treatment
- Direct Access Physical Therapy
- Gait Analysis
- Pelvic Floor Therapy
- Dry Needling Near Me
- Tendonitis Treatment
- Manual Physical Therapy
- Orthopedic Rehab Near Me
- Beginner Running Program
- Chronic Pain Treatment
Mobility in Mapaville, MO | Axes Physical Therapy
Whether you need hand therapy in order to make it easier for you to open jars, are looking for meaningful pain management for joint problems, or need to return to optimal movement health following a devastating injury, Axes’ team of licensed physical and occupational therapists is here to help you get back to the activities you love. We take a client-centered approach. To restore the level of mobility you deserve, request an appointment with Axes Physical Therapy today or call the location nearest for you.