Mobility in Winchester, MO. Our bodies are meant to to make walking and other movements easy. But sometimes, we sustain an injury or other condition that prevents us from the activities we love. While experiencing pain and other factors that affect mobility also have an impact on our emotional well-being, Axes Physical Therapy in Winchester, MO offers safe, effective, and proven solutions that are tailored specifically to getting you back to the life you want to live. Whether your mobility is limited because of an injury, a chronic condition, or a musculoskeletal condition such as sciatica, start on the road back to your best possible movement health and a pain-free daily life now by requesting a mobility and injury analysis with Axes today or calling the the one of our multiple locations most convenient for you.
The dictionary defines mobility as, “the ability to move… freely and easily.” For some Winchester, MO residents that looks like picking up their grandchildren comfortably, while others have more active lifestyle desires like making a diving catch in their softball league. Whatever you need to improve your movement health for, if your mobility is severely restricted consult with a physician to see if physical therapy is the right choice for you.
Functional Mobility in Winchester, MO
Functional mobility is the capacity one has to complete daily tasks. This includes anything from comfortably laying down in bed each night or walking up a flight of stairs. Fundamentally, functional mobility is typically though of in three different ways:
- Bed mobility — Whether or not you can to easily move around in bed, including rolling, scooting, sitting up, and lying down.
- Transfers — Your ability to move from one surface to another, for example from a chair, bed, or sofa to another.
- Ambulation — Whether or not you can walk, and can do so while carrying things.
If you cannot currently complete some or all of the tasks above without the aid of a person or assistive device, the Winchester, MO physical and occupational therapists at Axes are devoted to helping you regain your freedom. Whether your currently limited functional mobility was caused by a knee injury, arthritis or other joint pain, or even a central nervous system disorder like Parkinson’s disease, we’ll implement a personalized plan that has been proven to help people like you return to the best possible mobility. Part of your treatment will likely be simple and safe strengthening, balance, and flexibility movements. Our therapists are also specialists vestibular therapy to help with vestibular disorders that cause sensory dysfunction.
The seven level Functional Independence Measure (FIM) is the main way to evaluate functional mobility in Winchester, MO:
- Complete independence, meaning you are able to move in a certain way safely and in a relatively normal amount of time
- Modified independence, meaning you can perform specific movements but only with an assistive device
- Supervision, meaning you can perform the movement by yourself but need someone standing by for safety
- Minimal assistance, meaning you can exert 75% of the work needed to complete the task or more while someone else helps you the rest of the way
- Moderate assistance, meaning you can perform about half of the work necessary
- Maximal assistance, meaning you can put in a quarter of the work of the task independently
- Total assistance or not testable, meaning you are unable to put in 25% of the work required, or that even testing whether or not you can do it carries the risk of injury
At Axes Physical Therapy in Winchester, MO, your customized treatment plan may include gradually taking you from the first level to the highest level you are able to achieve. All of our methods are based on what research says can improve your mobility, and when you and your licensed physical therapist first meet, they will perform a thorough examination of your health to verify that the treatment modalities we use are safe for someone suffering from the same ailment you are.
Beyond Functional Mobility in Winchester, MO
Obviously, simply walking up the stairs without limitations does not define optimal movement health for many of us. There are pickleball leagues to dominate, fun activities to share with your family, and the physical demands of the job you carry out every day in order to earn a living for your Winchester, MO family. At Axes, our occupational and physical therapists can help any athlete, worker, or family member reach the optimal movement health they need to get back to the activities they love. We also offer:
- Occupational therapy — Our Winchester, MO occupational therapists are vital to your recovery when an injury or condition limits the mobility needed to to do your hob. We team up with you and your physician, insurance carrier, attorney and employer so you can get back to being an integral member of our Winchester, MO community and providing for your family the best way you can. Our advanced work rehabilitation includes Functional Capacity Evaluations to ascertain what activity level you can safely carry out.
- Sports therapy — Every athletes worst nightmare is an unexpected injury that sidelines them and keeps them from what they love for anywhere from a couple weeks to a year. If you suffer an ACL tear, rotator cuff tear, or other sports injury, Axes Physical Therapy in Winchester, MO will help you restore your mobility and get you back on the field or court as soon as is safely possible. Our Certified Athletic Trainers are big believers in teaching injury prevention to help you stay off the sidelines.
- Pre/post surgical rehabilitation — Surgery and your recovery from it are delicate matters that make anyone nervous. Whether your surgery is elective or medically necessary, we’ll work with your physician and surgeons to form a complete surgical team to ease your worry, and formulate a successful plan of action to get the best possible outcome from your procedure.
However limited you currently are in your mobility, and lifestyle you are trying to get back to, consult with your Winchester, MO doctor about whether they think getting you a prescription for physical therapy is right for you, or visit one of our locations for a complimentary injury screening from a clinically experienced physical or occupational therapist.
How a Physical Therapist in Winchester, MO Can Help Improve Your Mobility
Our mobility is based on our strength, flexibility, range of motion, and balance:
- Strength — While physical therapy is effective at rebuilding and maintaining strength, it also helps to make sure no muscle is stronger or weaker than it should be in relation to the muscles around it. Having equal muscle balance around joints is essential in preventing injury and improving your mobility.
- Flexibility and range of motion — To achieve optimal movement health, our muscles, ligaments, and other soft tissue need to be able to lengthen so that the joints they control and protect can function at their highest level.
- Balance — Frequent causes of balance issues include:
A licensed physical therapist in Winchester, MO will find the root of your limitations in mobility and develop a treatment plan, based on evidence to get you back to the lifestyle you enjoy most. In addition to restorative strength, flexibility, and core exercises, your treatment plan may also include:
- Soft tissue mobilization
- Kinesio Taping®
- Trigger point dry needling
- Blood flow restriction training
- Posture correction and teaching correct posture
If necessary, a physical therapist in Winchester, MO can also fit you for medically accepted assistive devices including splints, braces, crutches, or canes in order to best facilitate movement.
How Physical Therapy in Winchester, MO Helps Beyond Mobility
The benefits of physical therapy go beyond just getting around easier, getting back to work, or getting back on the field. As we work to reach optimal movement health, you’ll also enjoy:
- Pain relief, whether from an injury or pain that is chronic in nature without having to use prescription medications
- In some cases, the potential to avoid a surgical procedure by motivating your body to heal on its own
- Mobility education, including physical therapy techniques you can do in the comfort of your own home with no risk to injury, injury prevention techniques, and correct posture
- Encouraging better physical health, which leads to enhanced energy, lowers your odds of developing cardiovascular disease, helps control weight, makes you feel better, and promotes better sleep
Other services we offer in Winchester, MO include:
- Shoulder Pain
- Injury Prevention
- Knee Injury
- Joint Pain
- Dry Needling
- ACL Tear
- Pain Management
- Rotator Cuff Tear
Mobility in Winchester, MO | Axes Physical Therapy
Whether you are looking for hand therapy in order to make it easier for you to use a computer, are looking for meaningful pain management for joint problems, or want to get back on the field after a sports injury, Axes’ team of licensed physical and occupational therapists will develop and implement the treatment plan that works best for you. We employ a client-centered approach. To get back your independence and active lifestyle, request an appointment with Axes Physical Therapy today or find the location that works best for you.