Mobility in Catawissa, MO. Our bodies are designed to move. But sometimes, our mobility is impeded and it prevents us from our favorite activities, or even just being able to carry out or daily live comfortably. While losing your independence because of losing your mobility also have an impact on our emotional well-being, Axes Physical Therapy in Catawissa, MO can develop solutions that have been proven to work and that are built specifically to getting you back to the life you want to live. No matter if your mobility is limited because of an injury, a disease, or an impairment in your musculoskeletal structure such as sciatica, begin your journey to optimal mobility and a pain-free daily life as soon as possible by setting up a mobility and injury analysis with Axes today or calling the the one of our multiple locations nearest you.
The one definition of mobility is, “the ability to move… freely and easily.” For some people that is as simple as getting in and out of a chair comfortably, while others need to get back to sprinting down the basketball court on a fast break. Whatever you need to improve your movement health for, if you can’t live the life you want comfortable speak with a physician to see if physical therapy is the right choice for you.
Functional Mobility in Catawissa, MO
Functional mobility refers to a person’s ability to safely get around their home. This can be anything from moving around in bed or walking up a flight of stairs. In general, functional mobility can be broken down into three categories:
- Bed mobility — Your ability to scoot, roll, and get in and out of bed with ease.
- Transfers — Whether or not you are able to move from one place to a different one, for example from a chair, bed, or sofa to another.
- Ambulation — Your ability to walk freely without the need of assistance. This also includes walking while being able to carry objects.
If you cannot currently complete some or all of the tasks above without the aid of a person or assistive device, the Catawissa, MO physical and occupational therapists at Axes are dedicated to getting your freedom back. Whether the condition affecting you is a knee injury, arthritis or other joint pain, or even a a progressive disorder like Parkinson’s disease, we’ll guide you through your journey to the best possible mobility. Part of your treatment will likely be simple and safe strengthening, balance, and flexibility exercises. We also offer vestibular therapy to help with vestibular disorders that cause dizziness and vertigo.
Catawissa, MO physical therapists often use the Functional Independence Measure (FIM) of seven levels to evaluate someone’s functional mobility:
- Complete independence, meaning you can complete a specified task safely and in a relatively normal amount of time
- Modified independence, meaning you can perform certain movements but only with a walker, a cane, or crutches
- Stand-by assist, meaning you can complete the task independently but need someone next to you to prevent risk of injury
- Minimal assistance, meaning you can do 75% or more while a physical therapist does the rest
- Moderate assistance, meaning you can perform about half of the work needed
- Maximal assistance, meaning you can put in a quarter of the work of the task without assistance
- Total assistance or not testable, meaning you are unable to put in a quarter of the effort required, or that even testing whether or not you can do it could lead to you becoming hurt
At Axes Physical Therapy in Catawissa, MO, your tailor-made treatment plan may include safely allowing you more and more independence until you get the highest level you can. All of our methods are based on what research says works best for you, and your dedicated physical therapist will begin your mobility treatment with a comprehensive evaluation of your health to confirm that the exercises we have in mind for you are safe for someone suffering from the same ailment you are.
Beyond Functional Mobility in Catawissa, MO
Obviously, simply walking up the stairs independently does not define optimal movement health for many of us. There are pickleball leagues to dominate, your pets to pick up, and the vocational tasks you need to perform every day so that you can put food on the table for your Catawissa, MO family. At Axes, we offer comprehensive physical and occupational physical therapy that can help any athlete, worker, or family member achieve the activity level they desire. We also offer:
- Occupational therapy — Our Catawissa, MO occupational therapists are an essential part of getting you back to work after a work-related injury. We team up with you and your physician, insurance carrier, attorney and employer so you can get back to helping our Catawissa, MO community and providing for your family as you want to. Our advanced work rehabilitation includes Functional Capacity Evaluations to determine what activity level you can safely carry out.
- Sports therapy — The worst-case scenario for anyone who loves playing sports is a sudden fall or collision that sidelines them and keeps them from what they love for anywhere from a couple weeks to a year. Our Catawissa, MO physical therapy team is experienced in helping those who are sidelined because of ACL tears, rotator cuff tears, and a variety of other injuries. Our Certified Athletic Trainers also specialize in injury prevention to help you reduce the risk of having to go through an injury again.
- Pre/post surgical rehabilitation — Surgery is a complex and nerve-racking procedure for anyone. Whether your surgery is elective or medically necessary, we’ll work with your physician and surgeons to form a complete surgical team to help you feel confident in your treatment, and develop an effective plan of action to get the best possible outcome from your procedure.
Whatever the current level of mobility, and the level of movement health you desire, consult with your Catawissa, MO doctor about whether they think getting you a prescription for physical therapy is right for you, or visit one of our locations for a complimentary injury screening from a qualified physical or occupational therapist.
How a Physical Therapist in Catawissa, MO Can Help Improve Your Mobility
The four tenets of mobility are our strength, flexibility, range of motion, and balance:
- Strength — While physical therapy can help rebuild muscle after an injury and slow the weakening of muscles as we age, it also ensures that no muscle is disproportionately strong or weak. Surrounding our joints with healthy and equally strong muscles is crucial in preventing injury and improving your mobility.
- Flexibility and range of motion — To improve our mobility to the highest level we can, not only do our muscles need to have the strength to control bones, but our muscles, tendons, and other soft tissue need to be able to lengthen, and our joints need to be able to perform a wide variety of movements.
- Balance — Problems with balance are typically caused by:
A clinically experienced physical therapist in Catawissa, MO will find the root of your mobility issues and develop a treatment plan, based on empirical research to get you back to the lifestyle you enjoy most. In addition to restorative strength, flexibility, and core exercises, We can help you improve your mobility with:
- Soft tissue mobilization
- Kinesio Taping®
- Trigger point dry needling
- Blood flow restriction training
- Posture correction and teaching correct posture
If required, a physical therapist in Catawissa, MO can also mold your very own medically accepted assistive devices including splints, braces, crutches, or canes in order to best facilitate movement.
How Physical Therapy in Catawissa, MO Helps Beyond Mobility
Physical therapy does more than just increase strength and flexibility. As we work to reach optimal movement health, you’ll also enjoy:
- Pain relief, whether from an injury or pain that is chronic in nature without having to use painkillers or opioids
- Depending on the nature of your mobility limitations, the potential to avoid surgery by motivating your body to heal on its own
- Movement health education, including physical therapy techniques you can safely do at home, injury prevention techniques, and the best postures for improved mobility
- Motivating better physical health, which leads to enhanced energy, decreases your odds of developing cardiovascular disease, helps control weight, improves your mood, and encourages your body to get a full 8 hours of sleep
Other services we offer in Catawissa, MO include:
- Shoulder Pain
- Injury Prevention
- Knee Injury
- Joint Pain
- Dry Needling
- ACL Tear
- Pain Management
- Rotator Cuff Tear
Mobility in Catawissa, MO | Axes Physical Therapy
Whether you are looking for hand therapy in order to make it easier for you to type, are in need of meaningful pain management for joint problems, or want to return to your active lifestyle following acute trauma, Axes’ team of licensed physical and occupational therapists will develop and implement the treatment plan that is safe and affective. We take a client-centered approach. To get back your independence and active lifestyle, request an appointment with Axes Physical Therapy today or reach out to the location most convenient for you.