Mobility in Hematite, MO. Our bodies are built to to make walking and other movements easy. But sometimes, our bodies don’t work the way they should and it prevents us from the activities we love. While that loss of physical mobility also have an impact on our emotional well-being, Axes Physical Therapy in Hematite, MO can provide you with safe, effective, and proven solutions that are customized specifically to getting you back to the life you want to live. Regardless of whether your mobility limitations are the result of an injury, a degenerative condition, or a musculoskeletal condition such as sciatica, start on the road back to your best possible movement health and a pain-free daily life as soon as possible by requesting an appointment with Axes today or calling the location nearest you.
The dictionary definition of mobility is, “the ability to move… freely and easily.” For some of us that is as simple as picking up their kids comfortably, while others need to get back to serving an ace on the tennis court. Whatever mobility means to you, if you can’t live the life you want comfortable consult with a physician to see if physical therapy is the right choice for you.
Functional Mobility in Hematite, MO
Functional mobility is the capacity one has to safely and efficiently move around in their home environment. This includes simple tasks such as rolling over in bed or getting in and out of the shower safely. In general, functional mobility can be broken down into three categories:
- Bed mobility — Your ability to comfortably move around in bed, including rolling, scooting, sitting up, and lying down.
- Transfers — Your ability to switch between places, for example from a chair, bed, or sofa to another.
- Ambulation — If you can walk on your own while having objects in your hands.
While the injury or condition impeding your functional mobility may mean that you currently rely on assistance in order to complete basic tasks, the Hematite, MO physical and occupational therapists at Axes are devoted to getting your autonomy back. Whether you currently lack full functional mobility because of a sports injuryan rotator cuff tear tear, arthritis or other joint pain, or even a degenerative condition like Parkinson’s disease, we’ll guide you through your journey to optimal movement health. We will guide you in strengthening, balance, and flexibility movements. We also offer vestibular therapy for people who have a debilitating vestibular disorder.
The seven level Functional Independence Measure (FIM) is the staple of how to evaluate functional mobility in Hematite, MO:
- Complete independence, meaning you are able to achieve specific mobility thresholds safely and in a timely manner
- Modified independence, meaning you need a device such as a walker to complete the task
- Supervision, meaning you can complete the task independently but need someone to monitor you for safety
- Minimal assistance, meaning you can exert 75% of the work needed to complete the task or more while someone else does the rest
- Moderate assistance, meaning you can perform about half of the work necessary
- Maximal assistance, meaning you can complete about 25% of the task independently
- Total assistance or not testable, meaning you can complete less than 25% of the task, or that even testing whether or not you can do it carries the risk of injury
At Axes Physical Therapy in Hematite, MO, your personalized treatment plan may include safely taking you from the first level to the highest level you are able to achieve. All of our methods are based on what research says works best for you, and when you and your licensed physical therapist first meet, they will perform a comprehensive examination of your health to verify that the exercises we have in mind for you are safe for someone suffering from the same ailment you are.
Beyond Functional Mobility in Hematite, MO
To be sure, many of us desire a higher level of movement health than just being to move between furniture independently. There are pickleball leagues to dominate, fun activities to share with your family, and the vocational tasks you need to perform every day so that you can put food on the table for your Hematite, MO family. At Axes, our occupational and physical therapists can help any athlete, worker, or family member achieve the activity level they desire. We also offer:
- Occupational therapy — Our Hematite, MO occupational therapists are vital to your recovery when an injury or condition limits the mobility needed to to do your hob. We serve as an integral member of your workers’ compensation team so you can get back to being an integral member of our Hematite, MO community and supporting your family as you want to. Our advanced work rehabilitation includes Functional Capacity Evaluations to determine if you are ready to return to your job.
- Sports therapy — The worst-case scenario for any athlete is a sudden fall or collision that keeps them inactive and limited for anywhere from a couple weeks to a year. Our Hematite, MO physical therapy team knows how to help those who are sidelined because of ACL tears, rotator cuff tears, and a variety of other injuries. Our Certified Athletic Trainers can also educate you on the specifics of injury prevention to help you avoid re-injury.
- Pre/post surgical rehabilitation — Surgery and your recovery from it are delicate matters that make anyone nervous. Whether your surgery is a matter of choice or a strong recommendation from a physician, we’ll team up with the doctors recommending and performing your surgery to help you feel confident in your treatment, and formulate an effective plan of action to restore optimal mobility.
Whatever the current level of mobility, and lifestyle you are trying to get back to, consult with your Hematite, MO doctor about what physical therapy can do for you, or come see us for a free injury screening from a qualified physical or occupational therapist.
How a Physical Therapist in Hematite, MO Can Help Improve Your Mobility
Our mobility is based on our strength, flexibility, range of motion, and balance:
- Strength — While physical therapy can help rebuild muscle after an injury and slow the weakening of muscles as we age, it also helps to make sure no muscle is stronger or weaker than it should be in relation to the muscles around it. Achieving equal muscle balance around joints is imperative in preventing injury and improving your mobility.
- Flexibility and range of motion — To achieve optimal movement health, our muscles, tendons, and other soft tissue need to be able to lengthen so that the joints they control and protect can function properly.
- Balance — Balance issues are usually due to:
A clinically experienced physical therapist in Hematite, MO will be able to identify the source of your mobility issues and develop a safe and effective treatment plan to improve your movement health. In addition to therapeutic strength, flexibility, and core exercises, We can help you improve your mobility with:
- Soft tissue mobilization
- Kinesio Taping®
- Trigger point dry needling
- Blood flow restriction training
- Posture correction and teaching correct posture
If necessary, a physical therapist in Hematite, MO can also mold your very own medically accepted assistive devices such as splints, braces, crutches, or canes in order to best facilitate movement.
How Physical Therapy in Hematite, MO Helps Beyond Mobility
Physical therapy does more than just increase mobility. Your evidence-based treatment plans:
- Pain relief, whether from an injury or pain that is chronic in nature without the need of prescription medications
- If applicable, the opportunity to avoid a surgical procedure by stimulating the body’s own healing methods
- Patient education, including physical therapy techniques you can safely do at home, what you can do to prevent injuries, and the best postures for improved mobility
- Encouraging better physical health, which leads to enhanced energy, lowers your odds of developing cardiovascular disease, helps control weight, makes you feel better, and encourages your body to get a full 8 hours of sleep
Other services we offer in Hematite, MO include:
- Shoulder Pain
- Injury Prevention
- Knee Injury
- Joint Pain
- Dry Needling
- ACL Tear
- Pain Management
- Rotator Cuff Tear
Mobility in Hematite, MO | Axes Physical Therapy
Whether you are looking for hand therapy in order to make it easier for you to write, are in need of meaningful pain management for joint problems, or want to get back on the field after a sports injury, Axes’ team of licensed physical and occupational therapists is here to help you get back to what you love doing most. We employ a leads to positive patient outcomes. To get back your independence and active lifestyle, request an appointment with Axes Physical Therapy today or call the location most convenient for you.