Mobility in Innsbrook, MO. Our bodies are designed to be on the go. But sometimes, we sustain an injury or other condition that keeps us from the activities we love. While experiencing pain and other factors that affect mobility affects us in more ways than just physically, Axes Physical Therapy in Innsbrook, MO can provide you with safe, effective, and evidence-backed treatment plans that are built specifically to getting you back to the life you want to live. Regardless of whether your mobility is limited because of acute trauma, a chronic condition, or an impairment in your musculoskeletal skeleton such as sciatica, take the first steps in optimal movement health and a pain-free daily life now by requesting a free evaluation with Axes today or calling the the one of our multiple locations nearest you.
The one definition of mobility is, “the ability to move… freely and easily.” For some Innsbrook, MO residents that looks like getting in and out of a chair without pain, while for others it may mean making a diving catch in their softball league. Whatever mobility means to you, if you can’t live the life you want comfortable speak with a physician to see if physical therapy is the right choice for you.
Functional Mobility in Innsbrook, MO
Functional mobility refers to a person’s ability to safely get around their home. This can be anything from rolling over in bed or bringing a cup of coffee to another room and sitting on a chair. In general, functional mobility is typically though of in three different ways:
- Bed mobility — Your ability to easily move around in bed, including rolling, scooting, sitting up, and lying down.
- Transfers — Your ability to move from one surface to another, for example from a bed to a chair.
- Ambulation — If you can walk on your own while having objects in your hands.
If you cannot currently complete some or all of the activities above without the aid of a person or assistive device, the Innsbrook, MO physical and occupational therapists at Axes are dedicated to getting your autonomy back. Whether you currently lack full functional mobility because of a knee injury, arthritis or other joint pain, or even a a progressive disorder like Parkinson’s disease, we’ll guide you through your journey to the best possible mobility. Most treatment plans include strengthening, balance, and flexibility movements. We also offer vestibular therapy to help with vestibular disorders that cause sensory dysfunction.
The seven level Functional Independence Measure (FIM) is the main way to determine functional mobility in Innsbrook, MO:
- Complete independence, meaning you can achieve specific mobility thresholds without risk of injury and in a timely manner
- Modified independence, meaning you can perform certain movements but only with an assistive device
- Stand-by assist, meaning you can complete the task independently but need someone close by for safety
- Minimal assistance, meaning you can exert 75% of the work needed to complete the task or more while someone else does the rest
- Moderate assistance, meaning you can exert 50% of the effort necessary
- Maximal assistance, meaning you can complete about 25% of the task yourself
- Total assistance or not testable, meaning you are unable to put in 25% of the effort required, or that the activity is not safe to test
At Axes Physical Therapy in Innsbrook, MO, your tailor-made treatment plan may include gradually taking you from the first level to the highest level possible. All of our treatment plans are based on what research says works best for you, and when you and your licensed physical therapist first meet, they will perform a thorough evaluation of your health to confirm that the exercises we use are safe for someone suffering from the same ailment you are.
Beyond Functional Mobility in Innsbrook, MO
Of course, many of us desire a higher level of movement health than just rolling over in bed without assistance. There are corners to burn on the football field, your pets to play with, and the vocational tasks you need to perform every day so that you can put food on the table for your Innsbrook, MO family. At Axes, our occupational and physical therapists can help any athlete, worker, or family member achieve the activity level they desire. We also offer:
- Occupational therapy — Our Innsbrook, MO occupational therapists are an essential part of getting you back to work after a work-related injury. We serve as an integral member of your workers’ compensation team so you can get back to contributing to our Innsbrook, MO community and supporting your family the best way you can. Our advanced work rehabilitation includes Functional Capacity Evaluations to determine if you are ready to return to your job.
- Sports therapy — Every athletes worst nightmare is a sudden injury that keeps them off the field or court for anywhere from a couple weeks to a year. Our Innsbrook, MO physical therapy team is experienced in helping those who are sidelined because of ACL tears, rotator cuff tears, and a variety of other injuries. Our Certified Athletic Trainers can also educate you on the specifics of injury prevention to help you avoid re-injury.
- Pre/post surgical rehabilitation — Surgery makes anyone anxious. Whether your surgery is elective or medically necessary, we’ll work with your physician and surgeons to form a complete surgical team to give you piece of mind, and formulate a successful game plan to restore optimal mobility.
However limited you currently are in your mobility, and the level of movement health you desire, consult with your Innsbrook, MO doctor about whether or not physical therapy is advisable, or visit one of our locations for a no-risk, no-obligation injury screening from a qualified physical or occupational therapist.
How a Physical Therapist in Innsbrook, MO Can Help Improve Your Mobility
The four determinants of mobility are our strength, flexibility, range of motion, and balance:
- Strength — While physical therapy can help rebuild muscle after an injury and slow the weakening of muscles as we age, it also helps achieve muscle balance. Achieving equal muscle balance around joints is essential in preventing injury and reaching optimal movement health.
- Flexibility and range of motion — To improve our mobility to the highest level we can, not only do our muscles need to have the strength to control bones, but our muscles, ligaments, and other soft tissue need to be able to lengthen, and our joints need to be able to perform a wide variety of movements.
- Balance — Balance issues are typically due to:
A licensed physical therapist in Innsbrook, MO will determine what is causing your mobility issues and develop a treatment plan, based on evidence to improve your movement health. In addition to restorative strength, flexibility, and core exercises, other evidence-backed techniques may include:
- Soft tissue mobilization
- Kinesio Taping®
- Trigger point dry needling
- Blood flow restriction training
- Posture correction and good posture education
If your doctor and therapy team agree, a physical therapist in Innsbrook, MO can also create custom medically accepted assistive devices including splints, braces, crutches, or canes in order to aid you in your mobility and reduce risk of injury.
How Physical Therapy in Innsbrook, MO Helps Beyond Mobility
The benefits of physical therapy go beyond just getting around easier, getting back to work, or getting back on the field. Your evidence-based treatment plans:
- Pain relief, whether from an injury or pain that is chronic in nature without having to use costly and potentially habit forming prescription drugs
- In some cases, the potential to avoid a surgical procedure by stimulating the body’s own healing methods
- Movement health education, including exercises you can safely do at home, injury prevention techniques, and correct posture
- Motivating you to maintain an active lifestyle, carries with it the benefits of increased energy, decreases your risk of heart disease, contributes to a healthy weight, improves your mood, and encourages your body to get a full 8 hours of sleep
Other services we offer in Innsbrook, MO include:
- Shoulder Pain
- Injury Prevention
- Knee Injury
- Joint Pain
- Dry Needling
- ACL Tear
- Pain Management
- Rotator Cuff Tear
Mobility in Innsbrook, MO | Axes Physical Therapy
Whether you are looking for hand therapy in order to make it easier for you to open jars, are in need of meaningful pain management for joint problems, or want to get back on the field after a sports injury, Axes’ team of licensed physical and occupational therapists will develop and implement the treatment plan that works best for you. We employ a an approach that focuses on personalized treatment. To get back your independence and active lifestyle, request an appointment with Axes Physical Therapy today or reach out to the location nearest for you.