Mobility in St. George, MO. Our bodies are meant to to make walking and other movements easy. But sometimes, our mobility is impeded and it impedes us from doing what we love most. While that loss of physical mobility also have an impact on our emotional well-being, Axes Physical Therapy in St. George, MO offers safe, effective, and evidence-backed treatment plans that are tailored specifically to you and your needs. No matter if your mobility limitations are the result of an injury, a disease, or an impairment in your musculoskeletal structure such as sciatica, begin your journey to your best possible mobility and a pain-free daily life as soon as possible by scheduling an appointment with Axes today or calling the location nearest you.
The dictionary defines mobility as, “the ability to move… freely and easily.” For some people that looks like rolling over in bed without pain, while for others it may mean serving an ace on the tennis court. Whatever you need to improve your movement health for, if your mobility is severely restricted consult with a physician to see if physical therapy is the right choice for you.
Functional Mobility in St. George, MO
Functional mobility refers to a person’s ability to safely and efficiently move around in their home environment. This can be anything from rolling over in bed or carrying a cup of coffee to the living room and sitting down. Fundamentally, there are three types of functional mobility:
- Bed mobility — Your ability to scoot, roll, and get in and out of bed comfortably.
- Transfers — Your ability to move from one surface to a different one, for example from one chair to another.
- Ambulation — Whether or not you can walk, and can do so while carrying things.
If you currently need assistance to be functionally mobile, the St. George, MO physical and occupational therapists at Axes are devoted to getting your freedom back. Whether you currently lack full functional mobility due to a knee injury, arthritis or other joint pain, or even a a progressive disorder like Parkinson’s disease, we’ll guide you through your journey to the best possible mobility. We will guide you in strengthening, balance, and flexibility movements. We also offer vestibular therapy for people who have a debilitating vestibular disorder.
St. George, MO physical therapists often rely on the Functional Independence Measure (FIM) of seven levels to determine someone’s functional mobility:
- Complete independence, meaning you can complete a specified task safely and without taking an excessive amount of time
- Modified independence, meaning you can perform certain movements but only with an assistive device
- Supervision, meaning you can complete the task by yourself but need someone next to you for safety
- Minimal assistance, meaning you can exert 75% of the effort needed to complete the task or more while a physical therapist does the rest
- Moderate assistance, meaning you can perform about 50% of the work needed
- Maximal assistance, meaning you can put in a quarter of the work of the task independently
- Total assistance or not testable, meaning you are unable to put in a quarter of the effort required, or that the activity is not safe to test
At Axes Physical Therapy in St. George, MO, your personalized treatment plan may include safely taking you up through the seven levels, or at least to the highest level possible. All of our treatment plans are based on what research says can improve your mobility, and your dedicated physical therapist will begin your mobility treatment with a comprehensive evaluation of your health to ensure that the treatment modalities we use are safe for someone in your exact condition.
Beyond Functional Mobility in St. George, MO
Of course, simply walking up the stairs comfortably does not define optimal movement health for many of us. There are doubles to hit in your softball league, your children to pick up, and the occupational tasks of the job you perform every day in order to earn a living for your St. George, MO family. At Axes, our occupational and physical therapists can help any athlete, worker, or family member achieve the activity level they desire. Our services also include:
- Occupational therapy — Our St. George, MO occupational therapists are essential to your recovery when an injury or condition does not allow you to carry out the tasks of your job. We serve as an integral member of your workers’ compensation team so you can get back to being an integral member of our St. George, MO community and providing for your family the best way you can. Our advanced work rehabilitation includes Functional Capacity Evaluations to determine if you can safely go back to work either fully or at some level.
- Sports therapy — The last thing any athlete wants to experience is a sudden injury that keeps them inactive and limited for anywhere from a couple weeks to a year. If you suffer an ACL tear, rotator cuff tear, or other sports injury, Axes Physical Therapy in St. George, MO will help you restore your mobility and get you back on the field or court as soon as is safely possible. Our Certified Athletic Trainers are big believers in teaching injury prevention to help you stay off the sidelines.
- Pre/post surgical rehabilitation — Surgery makes anyone anxious. Whether your surgery is elective or medically necessary, we’ll work with your physician and surgeons to form a complete surgical team to help you feel confident in your treatment, and develop a proven game plan to get the best possible outcome from your procedure.
Whatever the current level of mobility, and lifestyle you are trying to get back to, consult with your St. George, MO doctor about what physical therapy can do for you, or come see us for a no-risk, no-obligation injury screening from a clinically experienced physical or occupational therapist.
How a Physical Therapist in St. George, MO Can Help Improve Your Mobility
The four determinants of mobility are our strength, flexibility, range of motion, and balance:
- Strength — While physical therapy can help rebuild muscle after an injury and slow the weakening of muscles as we age, it also helps achieve muscle balance. Surrounding our joints with healthy and equally strong muscles is essential in preventing injury and improving your mobility.
- Flexibility and range of motion — To achieve optimal movement health, our muscles, ligaments, and other soft tissue need to be able to lengthen so that the joints they control and protect can function at their highest level.
- Balance — Frequent causes of balance issues are:
- Problems with vision
- A vestibular issue, or something in your inner ear
- Your proprioceptive system, the receptors in our muscles that monitor length, tension, pressure and noxious stimuli
A professional physical therapist in St. George, MO will find the root of your mobility issues and develop a treatment plan, based on empirical research to get you back to the activities you love. In addition to therapeutic strength, flexibility, and core exercises, We can help you improve your mobility with:
- Soft tissue mobilization
- Kinesio Taping®
- Trigger point dry needling
- Blood flow restriction training
- Posture correction and teaching good posture
If required, a physical therapist in St. George, MO can also mold your very own medically accepted assistive devices including splints, braces, crutches, or canes in order to best facilitate movement.
How Physical Therapy in St. George, MO Helps Beyond Mobility
The benefits of physical therapy go beyond just getting around easier, getting back to work, or getting back on the field. As we work to reach optimal movement health, you’ll also enjoy:
- Pain relief for both acute and chronic conditions without having to use costly and potentially habit forming prescription drugs
- Depending on the nature of your mobility limitations, the potential to avoid surgery by motivating your body to heal on its own
- Patient education, including physical therapy techniques you can do in the comfort of your own home with no risk to injury, injury prevention techniques, and correct posture
- Encouraging better physical health, carries with it the benefits of enhanced energy, lowers your odds of developing cardiovascular disease, helps control weight, makes you feel better, and encourages your body to get a full 8 hours of sleep
Other services we offer in St. George, MO include:
- Dry Needling Near Me
- Tendonitis Treatment
- Manual Physical Therapy
- Orthopedic Rehab Near Me
- Beginner Running Program
- Chronic Pain Treatment
- Spine Specialist Near Me
- MCL Injury
- Shoulder Pain
- Injury Prevention
Mobility in St. George, MO | Axes Physical Therapy
Whether you are looking for hand therapy in order to make it easier for you to do basic things around the house, are looking for meaningful pain management for sciatica, or want to return to your active lifestyle following acute trauma, Axes’ team of licensed physical and occupational therapists will develop and implement the treatment plan that works best for you. We employ a leads to positive patient outcomes. To restore the level of mobility you deserve, request an appointment with Axes Physical Therapy today or find the location nearest for you.