Mobility in Bella Villa, MO. Our bodies are built to to make walking and other movements easy. But sometimes, we sustain an injury or other condition that impedes us from doing what we love most. While that loss of physical mobility can affect our mental health as well, Axes Physical Therapy in Bella Villa, MO can provide you with safe, effective, and proven solutions that are built specifically to you, your age, and your desired activity level. Whether your mobility limitations are the result of an injury, a degenerative condition, or an impairment in your musculoskeletal structure such as sciatica, begin your journey to your best possible movement health and comfort as soon as possible by scheduling a mobility and injury analysis with Axes today or calling the the one of our multiple locations nearest you.
The dictionary definition of mobility is, “the ability to move… freely and easily.” For some of us that is as simple as getting in and out of a chair comfortably, while for others it may mean making a diving catch in their softball league. Whatever you need to improve your movement health for, if your mobility is severely restricted speak with your doctor about professional physical therapy services.
Functional Mobility in Bella Villa, MO
Functional mobility refers to a person’s ability to complete basic tasks. This includes anything from comfortably laying down in bed each night or carrying a cup of coffee to the living room and sitting down. Fundamentally, functional mobility is typically though of in three different ways:
- Bed mobility — Whether or not you are able to to scoot, roll, and get in and out of bed comfortably.
- Transfers — Whether or not you are able to switch between places, for example from a chair, bed, or sofa to another.
- Ambulation — Whether or not you can walk, and can do so while carrying things.
While the injury or condition affecting your functional mobility may mean that you currently rely on assistance in order to operate in your daily life, the Bella Villa, MO physical and occupational therapists at Axes are committed to helping you restore your independence. Whether you currently lack full functional mobility due to a sports injuryan rotator cuff tear tear, arthritis or other joint pain, or even a degenerative condition like Parkinson’s disease, we’ll design a personalized plan that safely and correctly helps you reach the best possible movement health. Part of your treatment will likely be simple and safe strengthening, balance, and flexibility exercises. We also offer vestibular therapy for people who have a debilitating vestibular disorder.
The seven level Functional Independence Measure (FIM) is the staple of how to evaluate functional mobility in Bella Villa, MO:
- Complete independence, meaning you can achieve specific mobility thresholds safely and without taking an excessive amount of time
- Modified independence, meaning you can perform certain movements but only with a walker, a cane, or crutches
- Supervision, meaning you can perform the movement by yourself but need someone to monitor you so you don’t hurt yourself
- Minimal assistance, meaning you can do 75% or more while someone else does the rest
- Moderate assistance, meaning you can perform about half of the work required
- Maximal assistance, meaning you can complete about 25% of the task yourself
- Total assistance or not testable, meaning you are unable to put in 25% of the effort required, or that even testing whether or not you can do it is not safe
At Axes Physical Therapy in Bella Villa, MO, your tailor-made treatment plan may include safely allowing you more and more independence until you get the highest level you can. All of our methods are proven to be safe and effective through extensive clinical studies, and your dedicated physical therapist will begin your mobility treatment with a thorough examination of your health to verify that the exercises we have in mind for you are safe for someone suffering from the same ailment you are.
Beyond Functional Mobility in Bella Villa, MO
To be sure, many of us desire a higher level of movement health than just walking up the stairs independently. There are fast breaks to run, your children to pick up, and the job-related tasks you need to carry out every day so that you can put food on the table for your Bella Villa, MO family. At Axes, we offer comprehensive physical and occupational physical therapy that can help any athlete, worker, or family member achieve the activity level they desire. We also offer:
- Occupational therapy — Our Bella Villa, MO occupational therapists are crucial to your return to work when an injury or condition limits the mobility needed to to do your hob. We serve as an integral member of your workers’ compensation team so you can get back to being an integral member of our Bella Villa, MO community and supporting your family as you want to. Our advanced work rehabilitation includes Functional Capacity Evaluations to determine if you can safely go back to work either fully or at some level.
- Sports therapy — Every athletes worst nightmare is a sudden pop or crack that sidelines them and keeps them from what they love for anywhere from a couple weeks to a year. Our Bella Villa, MO physical therapy team is experienced in helping those who are sidelined because of ACL tears, rotator cuff tears, and a variety of other injuries. Our Certified Athletic Trainers also specialize in injury prevention to help you stay off the sidelines.
- Pre/post surgical rehabilitation — Surgery and your recovery from it are delicate matters that make anyone nervous. Whether your surgery is elective or medically necessary, we’ll work with your physician and surgeons to form a complete surgical team to give you piece of mind, and develop a successful strategy to restore optimal mobility.
Whatever the current level of mobility, and the level of movement health you desire, consult with your Bella Villa, MO doctor about whether or not physical therapy is advisable, or come see us for a no-obligation injury screening from a licensed physical or occupational therapist.
How a Physical Therapist in Bella Villa, MO Can Help Improve Your Mobility
The four tenets of mobility are our strength, flexibility, range of motion, and balance:
- Strength — While physical therapy can help rebuild muscle after an injury and slow the weakening of muscles as we age, it also helps achieve muscle balance. Surrounding our joints with healthy and equally strong muscles is vital to preventing injury and improving your mobility.
- Flexibility and range of motion — To achieve optimal movement health, not only do our muscles need to have the strength to control bones, but our muscles, ligaments, and other soft tissue need to be able to lengthen, and our joints need to be able to perform a wide variety of movements.
- Balance — Balance issues are usually due to:
An experienced physical therapist in Bella Villa, MO will determine what is causing your limitations in mobility and develop a safe and effective treatment plan to improve your movement health. In addition to restorative strength, flexibility, and core exercises, other evidence-backed techniques may include:
- Soft tissue mobilization
- Kinesio Taping®
- Trigger point dry needling
- Blood flow restriction training
- Posture correction and good posture education
If your doctor and therapy team agree, a physical therapist in Bella Villa, MO can also create custom medically accepted assistive devices such as splints, braces, crutches, or canes in order to aid you in your mobility and reduce risk of injury.
How Physical Therapy in Bella Villa, MO Helps Beyond Mobility
Physical therapy does more than just increase strength and flexibility. As we work to improve your movement health, you’ll also see the following benefits:
- Pain relief for both acute and chronic conditions without needing to depend on prescription medications
- Depending on the nature of your mobility limitations, the potential to avoid a surgical procedure by encouraging the body’s own healing methods
- Movement health education, including physical therapy techniques you can safely do at home, injury prevention techniques, and the best postures for improved mobility
- Motivating better physical health, which leads to enhanced energy, lowers your risk of heart disease, contributes to a healthy weight, makes you feel better, and encourages your body to get a full 8 hours of sleep
Other services we offer in Bella Villa, MO include:
- Shin Splint Treatment
- Direct Access Physical Therapy
- Gait Analysis
- Pelvic Floor Therapy
- Dry Needling Near Me
- Tendonitis Treatment
- Manual Physical Therapy
- Orthopedic Rehab Near Me
- Beginner Running Program
- Chronic Pain Treatment
Mobility in Bella Villa, MO | Axes Physical Therapy
Whether you are looking for hand therapy in order to make it easier for you to use a computer, are in need of meaningful pain management for arthritis, or want to return to your active lifestyle following acute trauma, Axes’ team of licensed physical and occupational therapists will develop and implement the treatment plan that works best for you. We employ a leads to positive patient outcomes. To restore the level of mobility you deserve, request an appointment with Axes Physical Therapy today or call the location that works best for you.