Mobility in Bridgeton, MO. Our bodies are built to be on the go. But sometimes, we sustain an injury or other condition that impedes us from our favorite activities, or even just being able to carry out or daily live pain-free. While experiencing pain and other factors that affect mobility also have an impact on our emotional well-being, Axes Physical Therapy in Bridgeton, MO can provide you with safe, effective, and proven solutions that are built specifically to you, your age, and your desired activity level. Whether your mobility is limited because of an injury, a disease, or an impairment in your musculoskeletal skeleton such as sciatica, start on the road back to optimal mobility and comfort now by setting up an appointment with Axes today or calling the the one of our multiple locations most convenient for you.
The dictionary definition of mobility is, “the ability to move… freely and easily.” For some of us that may mean rolling over in bed without pain, while for others it may mean serving an ace on the tennis court. Whatever it means to you, if your mobility is severely restricted consult with a physician about professional physical therapy and movement health services.
Functional Mobility in Bridgeton, MO
Functional mobility refers to a person’s ability to safely get around their home. This includes anything from moving around in bed or walking up a flight of stairs. Fundamentally, there are three types of functional mobility:
- Bed mobility — Whether or not you can to easily move around in bed, including rolling, scooting, sitting up, and lying down.
- Transfers — Whether or not you are able to move from one place to another, for example from a bed to a chair.
- Ambulation — Your ability to walk freely without the need of assistance. This also includes walking while being able to carry objects.
If you cannot currently complete some or all of the activities above without the aid of a person or assistive device, the Bridgeton, MO physical and occupational therapists at Axes are committed to getting your freedom back. Whether your currently limited functional mobility was caused by an ACL tear, arthritis or other joint pain, or even a central nervous system disorder like Parkinson’s disease, we’ll guide you through your journey to the best possible movement health. Most treatment plans include strengthening, balance, and flexibility exercises. We also offer vestibular therapy for people who have a debilitating vestibular disorder.
The seven level Functional Independence Measure (FIM) is the main way to assess functional mobility in Bridgeton, MO:
- Complete independence, meaning you are able to achieve specific mobility thresholds safely and in a timely manner
- Modified independence, meaning you can perform specific movements but only with a walker, a cane, or crutches
- Supervision, meaning you can complete the task by yourself but need someone to monitor you for safety
- Minimal assistance, meaning you can do 75% or more while someone else helps you the rest of the way
- Moderate assistance, meaning you can perform about 50% of the work needed
- Maximal assistance, meaning you can put in a quarter of the work of the task independently
- Total assistance or not testable, meaning you are unable to put in a quarter of the effort required, or that even testing whether or not you can do it is not safe
At Axes Physical Therapy in Bridgeton, MO, your tailor-made treatment plan may include safely allowing you more and more independence until you get the highest level you can. All of our methods are based on what research says can improve your mobility, and your dedicated physical therapist will begin your mobility treatment with a thorough evaluation of your health to verify that the exercises we use are safe for someone in your exact condition.
Beyond Functional Mobility in Bridgeton, MO
To be sure, simply being to move between chairs without assistance does not define optimal movement health for many of us. There are corners to burn on the football field, fun activities to share with your family, and the physical demands of the job you perform every day so that you can put food on the table for your Bridgeton, MO family. At Axes, our occupational and physical therapists can help any athlete, worker, or family member achieve the activity level they desire. We also offer:
- Occupational therapy — Our Bridgeton, MO occupational therapists are an essential part of getting you back to work after a work-related injury. We serve as an integral member of your workers’ compensation team so you can get back to being an integral member of our Bridgeton, MO community and providing for your family the best way you can. Our advanced work rehabilitation includes Functional Capacity Evaluations to determine what activity level you can safely carry out.
- Sports therapy — The last thing any athlete wants to experience is an unexpected injury that keeps them off the field or court for anywhere from a couple weeks to a year. If you suffer an ACL tear, rotator cuff tear, or other sports injury, Axes Physical Therapy in Bridgeton, MO will help you restore your mobility and get you back on the field or court as soon as is safely possible. Our Certified Athletic Trainers can also educate you on the specifics of injury prevention to help you stay off the sidelines.
- Pre/post surgical rehabilitation — Surgery makes anyone anxious. Whether your surgery is elective or medically necessary, we’ll team up with the doctors recommending and performing your surgery to help you feel confident in your treatment, and develop a proven strategy to restore optimal mobility.
However limited you currently are in your mobility, and the level of movement health you desire, consult with your Bridgeton, MO doctor about whether they think getting you a prescription for physical therapy is right for you, or come see us for a no-risk, no-obligation injury screening from a qualified physical or occupational therapist.
How a Physical Therapist in Bridgeton, MO Can Help Improve Your Mobility
The four determinants of mobility are our strength, flexibility, range of motion, and balance:
- Strength — While physical therapy is effective at rebuilding and maintaining strength, it also helps achieve muscle balance. Achieving proportionately strong muscles around joints is crucial in preventing injury and improving your mobility.
- Flexibility and range of motion — To reach the movement health and lifestyle we desire, not only do our muscles need to have the strength to control bones, but our muscles, ligaments, and other soft tissue need to be able to lengthen, and our joints need to be able to perform a wide variety of movements.
- Balance — Balance issues are commonly caused by:
A clinically experienced physical therapist in Bridgeton, MO will find the root of your mobility issues and develop a safe and effective treatment plan to get you back to the lifestyle you enjoy most. In addition to therapeutic strength, flexibility, and core exercises, We can help you improve your mobility with:
- Soft tissue mobilization
- Kinesio Taping®
- Trigger point dry needling
- Blood flow restriction training
- Posture correction and teaching good posture
If required, a physical therapist in Bridgeton, MO can also create custom medically accepted assistive devices such as splints, braces, crutches, or canes in order to aid you in your mobility and reduce risk of injury.
How Physical Therapy in Bridgeton, MO Helps Beyond Mobility
The benefits of physical therapy go beyond just getting around easier, getting back to work, or getting back on the field. Your evidence-based treatment plans:
- Pain relief, whether from an injury or pain that is chronic in nature without the need of prescription medications
- In some cases, the potential to avoid surgery by stimulating the body’s own healing methods
- Mobility education, including exercises you can safely do at home, injury prevention techniques, and the best postures for improved mobility
- Motivating you to maintain an active lifestyle, carries with it the benefits of increased energy, lowers your risk of heart disease, helps control weight, improves your mood, and promotes better sleep
Other services we offer in Bridgeton, MO include:
- Shoulder Pain
- Injury Prevention
- Knee Injury
- Joint Pain
- Dry Needling
- ACL Tear
- Pain Management
- Rotator Cuff Tear
Mobility in Bridgeton, MO | Axes Physical Therapy
Whether you need hand therapy in order to make it easier for you to open jars, are looking for meaningful pain management for arthritis, or want to return to your active lifestyle following acute trauma, Axes’ team of licensed physical and occupational therapists will develop and implement the treatment plan that is safe and affective. We practice a leads to positive patient outcomes. To restore the level of mobility you deserve, request an appointment with Axes Physical Therapy today or find the location nearest for you.