Mobility in Marlborough, MO. Our bodies are built to be on the go. But sometimes, our mobility is impeded and it prevents us from doing what we love most. While experiencing pain and other factors that affect mobility also have an impact on our emotional well-being, Axes Physical Therapy in Marlborough, MO offers safe, effective, and evidence-backed treatment plans that are customized specifically to getting you back to the life you want to live. Regardless of whether your mobility limitations are the result of an injury, a degenerative condition, or an impairment in your musculoskeletal structure such as sciatica, take the first steps in optimal movement health and meaningful pain relief as soon as possible by scheduling a mobility and injury analysis with Axes today or calling the location nearest you.
The dictionary definition of mobility is, “the ability to move… freely and easily.” For some people that looks like picking up their kids comfortably, while for others it may mean making a diving catch in their softball league. Whatever it means to you, if can’t complete the activities you want to consult with your doctor about professional physical therapy services.
Functional Mobility in Marlborough, MO
Functional mobility is the capacity one has to complete basic tasks. This includes anything from comfortably laying down in bed each night or bringing a cup of coffee to the next room and sitting down. In general, functional mobility is typically though of in three different ways:
- Bed mobility — Your ability to scoot, roll, and get in and out of bed comfortably.
- Transfers — Whether or not you are able to switch between places, for example from one chair to another.
- Ambulation — Whether or not you can walk, and can do so while carrying things.
If you currently need assistance to be functionally mobile, the Marlborough, MO physical and occupational therapists at Axes are devoted to getting your self-sufficiency back. Whether the condition affecting you is a knee injury, arthritis or other joint pain, or even a a progressive disorder like Parkinson’s disease, we’ll guide you through your journey to the best possible mobility. Most treatment plans include strengthening, balance, and flexibility training. Our therapists are also highly trained in vestibular therapy for people who have a debilitating vestibular disorder.
The seven level Functional Independence Measure (FIM) is the main way to evaluate functional mobility in Marlborough, MO:
- Complete independence, meaning you are able to complete a specified task safely and in a timely manner
- Modified independence, meaning you need a device such as crutches to complete the task
- Supervision, meaning you can perform the movement independently but need someone next to you to prevent risk of injury
- Minimal assistance, meaning you can exert 75% of the effort needed to complete the task or more while someone else does the rest
- Moderate assistance, meaning you can perform about half of the work required
- Maximal assistance, meaning you can put in a quarter of the work of the task independently
- Total assistance or not testable, meaning you are unable to put in a quarter of the effort required, or that the activity is not safe to test
At Axes Physical Therapy in Marlborough, MO, your customized treatment plan may include gradually allowing you more and more independence until you get the highest level you can. All of our treatment plans are proven to be safe and effective through extensive clinical studies, and your dedicated physical therapist will begin your mobility treatment with a comprehensive examination of your health to verify that the treatment modalities we have in mind for you are safe for someone suffering from the same ailment you are.
Beyond Functional Mobility in Marlborough, MO
Obviously, many of us desire a higher level of movement health than just being to move between furniture pain-free. There are fast breaks to run, fun activities to share with your family, and the job-related tasks you need to carry out every day in order to earn a living for your Marlborough, MO family. At Axes, we offer comprehensive physical and occupational physical therapy that can help any athlete, worker, or family member achieve the activity level they desire. Our services also include:
- Occupational therapy — Our Marlborough, MO occupational therapists are crucial to your recovery when an injury or condition does not allow you to carry out the tasks of your job. We serve as an integral member of your workers’ compensation team so you can get back to being an integral member of our Marlborough, MO community and providing for your family as you always have. Our advanced work rehabilitation includes Functional Capacity Evaluations to determine what activity level you can safely carry out.
- Sports therapy — Every athletes worst nightmare is a sudden fall or collision that sidelines them and keeps them from what they love for weeks, months, or longer. If you suffer an ACL tear, rotator cuff tear, or other sports injury, Axes Physical Therapy in Marlborough, MO will help you restore your mobility and get you back on the field or court as soon as is safely possible. Our Certified Athletic Trainers are big believers in teaching injury prevention to help you avoid re-injury.
- Pre/post surgical rehabilitation — Surgery makes anyone anxious. Whether your surgery is elective or medically necessary, we’ll team up with the doctors recommending and performing your surgery to ease your worry, and formulate a proven game plan to restore optimal mobility.
Whatever the current level of mobility, and the level of improved mobility you desire, consult with your Marlborough, MO doctor about what physical therapy can do for you, or come see us for a no-risk, no-obligation injury screening from a licensed physical or occupational therapist.
How a Physical Therapist in Marlborough, MO Can Help Improve Your Mobility
The four determinants of mobility are our strength, flexibility, range of motion, and balance:
- Strength — While physical therapy can help rebuild muscle after an injury and slow the weakening of muscles as we age, it also helps achieve muscle balance. Achieving proportionately strong muscles around joints is crucial in preventing injury and improving your mobility.
- Flexibility and range of motion — To reach the movement health and lifestyle we desire, not only do our muscles need to have the strength to control bones, but our muscles, tendons, and other soft tissue need to be able to lengthen, and our joints need to be able to perform a wide variety of movements.
- Balance — Balance issues are usually due to:
A professional physical therapist in Marlborough, MO will be able to identify the source of your limitations in mobility and develop a safe and effective treatment plan to improve your movement health. Beyond restorative strength, flexibility, and core exercises, other evidence-backed techniques may include:
- Soft tissue mobilization
- Kinesio Taping®
- Trigger point dry needling
- Blood flow restriction training
- Posture correction and good posture education
If your doctor and therapy team agree, a physical therapist in Marlborough, MO can also create custom medically accepted assistive devices such as splints, braces, crutches, or canes in order to best facilitate movement.
How Physical Therapy in Marlborough, MO Helps Beyond Mobility
The benefits of physical therapy go beyond just getting around easier, getting back to work, or getting back on the field. Your evidence-based treatment plans:
- Pain relief for both acute and chronic conditions without the need of prescription medications
- If applicable, the potential to avoid surgery by encouraging the body’s natural way of healing itself
- Movement health education, including exercises you can safely do at home, what you can do to prevent injuries, and correct posture
- Motivating you to maintain an active lifestyle, carries with it the benefits of increased energy, lowers your risk of cardiovascular disease, contributes to a healthy weight, improves your mood, and promotes better sleep
Other services we offer in Marlborough, MO include:
- Soft Tissue Mobilization
- Post Surgical Rehabilitation
- Shin Splint Treatment
- Direct Access Physical Therapy
- Gait Analysis
- Pelvic Floor Therapy
- Dry Needling Near Me
- Tendonitis Treatment
- Manual Physical Therapy
- Orthopedic Rehab Near Me
Mobility in Marlborough, MO | Axes Physical Therapy
Whether you need hand therapy in order to make it easier for you to open jars, are in need of meaningful pain management for sciatica, or need to return to optimal movement health following a devastating injury, Axes’ team of licensed physical and occupational therapists will develop and implement the treatment plan that works best for you. We employ a leads to positive patient outcomes. To get back your independence and active lifestyle, request an appointment with Axes Physical Therapy today or find the location most convenient for you.