Mobility in Liguori, MO. Our bodies are designed to to make walking and other movements easy. But sometimes, our bodies don’t work the way they should and it prevents us from our favorite activities, or even just being able to carry out or daily live comfortably. While experiencing pain and other factors that affect mobility affects us in more ways than just physically, Axes Physical Therapy in Liguori, MO can develop treatment plans that have been proven to be successful and that are customized specifically to you and your needs. Regardless of whether your mobility is limited because of an injury, a degenerative condition, or a musculoskeletal issue such as sciatica, start on the road back to your best possible movement health and a pain-free daily life as soon as possible by setting up a free evaluation with Axes today or calling the location nearest you.
The dictionary definition of mobility is, “the ability to move… freely and easily.” For some of us that is as simple as walking up the stairs comfortably, while for others it may mean making a diving catch in their softball league. Whatever it means to you, if you can’t live the life you want pain-free consult with your doctor to see if physical therapy is the right choice for you.
Functional Mobility in Liguori, MO
Functional mobility is the capacity one has to safely get around their home. This can be simple tasks such as getting in and out of bed or walking up a flight of stairs. In general, there are three types of functional mobility:
- Bed mobility — Your ability to scoot, roll, and get in and out of bed pain-free.
- Transfers — Your ability to switch between surfaces, for example from a chair, bed, or sofa to another.
- Ambulation — If you can walk on your own while having objects in your hands.
While the injury or condition impeding your functional mobility may mean that you currently rely on assistance in order to complete basic tasks, the Liguori, MO physical and occupational therapists at Axes are devoted to helping you regain your freedom. Whether you currently lack full functional mobility due to an ACL tear, arthritis or other joint pain, or even a central nervous system disorder like Parkinson’s disease, we’ll guide you through your journey to optimal movement health. We will guide you in strengthening, balance, and flexibility training. We also offer vestibular therapy to help with vestibular disorders that cause sensory dysfunction.
The seven level Functional Independence Measure (FIM) is the main way to assess functional mobility in Liguori, MO:
- Complete independence, meaning you can move in a certain way without assistance and in a relatively normal amount of time
- Modified independence, meaning you can perform certain movements but only with a walker, a cane, or crutches
- Supervision, meaning you can complete the task independently but need someone to monitor you to prevent risk of injury
- Minimal assistance, meaning you can do 75% or more while a physical therapist helps you the rest of the way
- Moderate assistance, meaning you can perform about half of the work required
- Maximal assistance, meaning you can put in a quarter of the work of the task without assistance
- Total assistance or not testable, meaning you can complete less than 25% of the task, or that the activity is not safe to test
At Axes Physical Therapy in Liguori, MO, your tailor-made treatment plan may include safely taking you up through the seven levels, or at least to the highest level you are able to achieve. All of our methods are proven to be safe and effective through extensive clinical studies, and your dedicated physical therapist will begin your mobility treatment with a thorough evaluation of your health to confirm that the exercises we use are safe for someone in your exact condition.
Beyond Functional Mobility in Liguori, MO
Needless to say, many of us desire a higher level of movement health than just walking up the stairs comfortably. There are corners to burn on the football field, your children to pick up, and the vocational tasks you need to perform every day so that you can put food on the table for your Liguori, MO family. At Axes, our occupational and physical therapists can help any athlete, worker, or family member achieve the activity level they desire. We also offer:
- Occupational therapy — Our Liguori, MO occupational therapists are crucial to your return to work when an injury or condition limits the mobility needed to to do your hob. We team up with you and your physician, insurance carrier, workers’ compensation lawyer and employer so you can get back to contributing to our Liguori, MO community and supporting your family as you always have. Our advanced work rehabilitation includes Functional Capacity Evaluations to determine if you can safely go back to work either fully or at some level.
- Sports therapy — The last thing any athlete wants to experience is a sudden injury that keeps them off the field or court for anywhere from a couple weeks to a year. Our Liguori, MO physical therapy team knows how to help those who are sidelined because of ACL tears, rotator cuff tears, and a variety of other injuries. Our Certified Athletic Trainers are big believers in teaching injury prevention to help you reduce the risk of having to go through an injury again.
- Pre/post surgical rehabilitation — Surgery makes anyone anxious. Whether your surgery is a matter of choice or a strong recommendation from a physician, we’ll work with your physician and surgeons to form a complete surgical team to ease your worry, and develop a proven game plan to get the best possible outcome from your procedure.
Whatever the current level of mobility, and the level of improved mobility you desire, consult with your Liguori, MO doctor about what physical therapy can do for you, or visit one of our locations for a no-obligation injury screening from a professional physical or occupational therapist.
How a Physical Therapist in Liguori, MO Can Help Improve Your Mobility
Our mobility is based on our strength, flexibility, range of motion, and balance:
- Strength — While physical therapy is effective at rebuilding and maintaining strength, it also helps achieve muscle balance. Surrounding our joints with healthy and equally strong muscles is imperative in preventing injury and reaching optimal movement health.
- Flexibility and range of motion — To improve our mobility to the highest level we can, not only do our muscles need to have the strength to control bones, but our muscles, tendons, and other soft tissue need to be able to lengthen, and our joints need to be able to perform a wide variety of movements.
- Balance — Frequent causes of balance issues include:
A licensed physical therapist in Liguori, MO will determine what is causing your mobility issues and develop a treatment plan, based on evidence to improve your movement health. Beyond therapeutic strength, flexibility, and core exercises, your treatment plan may also include:
- Soft tissue mobilization
- Kinesio Taping®
- Trigger point dry needling
- Blood flow restriction training
- Posture correction and teaching good posture
If necessary, a physical therapist in Liguori, MO can also create custom medically accepted assistive devices such as splints, braces, crutches, or canes in order to aid you in your mobility and reduce risk of injury.
How Physical Therapy in Liguori, MO Helps Beyond Mobility
The benefits of physical therapy go beyond just getting around easier, getting back to work, or getting back on the field. Your personalized treatment plans:
- Pain relief, whether from an injury or pain that is chronic in nature without having to use costly and potentially habit forming prescription drugs
- In some cases, the potential to avoid surgery by motivating your body to heal on its own
- Mobility education, including physical therapy techniques you can safely do at home, injury prevention techniques, and the best postures for improved mobility
- Motivating better physical health, which leads to increased energy, lowers your odds of developing heart disease, helps control weight, makes you feel better, and promotes better sleep
Other services we offer in Liguori, MO include:
- Shoulder Pain
- Injury Prevention
- Knee Injury
- Joint Pain
- Dry Needling
- ACL Tear
- Pain Management
- Rotator Cuff Tear
Mobility in Liguori, MO | Axes Physical Therapy
Whether you are looking for hand therapy in order to make it easier for you to open jars, are looking for meaningful pain management for arthritis, or want to return to your active lifestyle following acute trauma, Axes’ team of licensed physical and occupational therapists is here to help you get back to the activities you love. We employ a leads to positive patient outcomes. To get back your independence and active lifestyle, request an appointment with Axes Physical Therapy today or find the location most convenient for you.