Mobility in Josephville, MO. Our bodies are meant to be on the go. But sometimes, our mobility is impeded and it keeps us from our favorite activities, or even just being able to carry out or daily live pain-free. While experiencing pain and other factors that affect mobility affects us in more ways than just physically, Axes Physical Therapy in Josephville, MO can provide you with treatment plans that have been proven to be successful and that are built specifically to you and your needs. Regardless of whether your mobility is limited because of acute trauma, a disease, or an impairment in your musculoskeletal skeleton such as sciatica, take the first steps in optimal mobility and a pain-free daily life now by scheduling a free evaluation with Axes today or calling the location nearest you.
The dictionary defines mobility as, “the ability to move… freely and easily.” For some Josephville, MO residents that looks like rolling over in bed comfortably, while others need to get back to making a diving catch in their softball league. Whatever mobility means to you, if you can’t live the life you want comfortable consult with your doctor to see if physical therapy is the right choice for you.
Functional Mobility in Josephville, MO
Functional mobility is the capacity one has to complete daily tasks. This includes anything from rolling over in bed or getting in and out of the shower safely. In general, functional mobility can be broken down into three categories:
- Bed mobility — Your ability to scoot, roll, and get in and out of bed comfortably.
- Transfers — Your ability to move from one surface to a different one, for example from one chair to another.
- Ambulation — Whether or not you can walk, and can do so while carrying things.
If you cannot currently complete some or all of the tasks above without the aid of a person or assistive device, the Josephville, MO physical and occupational therapists at Axes are dedicated to helping you regain your autonomy. Whether your currently limited functional mobility was caused by an ACL tear, arthritis or other joint pain, or even a a progressive disorder like Parkinson’s disease, we’ll guide you through your journey to optimal mobility. Part of your treatment will likely be simple and safe strengthening, balance, and flexibility movements. Our therapists are also specialists vestibular therapy to help with vestibular disorders that cause sensory dysfunction.
Josephville, MO physical therapists often use the Functional Independence Measure (FIM) of seven levels to evaluate someone’s functional mobility:
- Complete independence, meaning you can achieve specific mobility thresholds without assistance and without taking an excessive amount of time
- Modified independence, meaning you need a device such as a walker to complete the task
- Stand-by assist, meaning you can complete the task by yourself but need someone standing by to prevent risk of injury
- Minimal assistance, meaning you can do 75% or more while a physical therapist does the rest
- Moderate assistance, meaning you can exert half of the effort necessary
- Maximal assistance, meaning you can put in a quarter of the work of the task without assistance
- Total assistance or not testable, meaning you can complete less than 25% of the task, or that even testing whether or not you can do it could lead to you becoming hurt
At Axes Physical Therapy in Josephville, MO, your personalized treatment plan may include gradually taking you up through the seven levels, or at least to the highest level you are able to achieve. All of our treatment plans are based on what research says works best for you, and your dedicated physical therapist will begin your mobility treatment with a thorough evaluation of your health to verify that the exercises we have in mind for you are safe for someone in your exact condition.
Beyond Functional Mobility in Josephville, MO
Needless to say, many of us desire a higher level of movement health than just being to move between furniture without limitations. There are fast breaks to run, your pets to pick up, and the occupational tasks of the job you carry out every day so that you can provide for your Josephville, MO family. At Axes, we offer comprehensive physical and occupational physical therapy that can help any athlete, worker, or family member reach the optimal movement health they need to get back to the activities they love. We also offer:
- Occupational therapy — Our Josephville, MO occupational therapists are vital to your recovery when an injury or condition does not allow you to carry out the tasks of your job. We serve as an integral member of your workers’ compensation team so you can get back to helping our Josephville, MO community and supporting your family the best way you can. Our advanced work rehabilitation includes Functional Capacity Evaluations to determine what functional capacities you are capable of.
- Sports therapy — Every athletes worst nightmare is an unexpected pop or crack that keeps them inactive and limited for anywhere from a couple weeks to a year. If you suffer an ACL tear, rotator cuff tear, or other sports injury, Axes Physical Therapy in Josephville, MO will help you regain your mobility and get you back on the field or court as soon as is safely possible. Our Certified Athletic Trainers are big believers in teaching injury prevention to help you reduce the risk of having to go through an injury again.
- Pre/post surgical rehabilitation — Surgery is a complex and nerve-racking procedure for anyone. Whether your surgery is elective or medically necessary, we’ll work with your physician and surgeons to form a complete surgical team to give you piece of mind, and formulate a proven game plan to restore optimal mobility.
However limited you currently are in your mobility, and the level of improved mobility you desire, consult with your Josephville, MO doctor about what physical therapy can do for you, or visit one of our locations for a no-obligation injury screening from a licensed physical or occupational therapist.
How a Physical Therapist in Josephville, MO Can Help Improve Your Mobility
The four determinants of mobility are our strength, flexibility, range of motion, and balance:
- Strength — While physical therapy is effective at rebuilding and maintaining strength, it also helps to make sure no muscle is stronger or weaker than it should be in relation to the muscles around it. Having proportionately strong muscles around joints is imperative in preventing injury and improving your mobility.
- Flexibility and range of motion — To achieve optimal movement health, not only do our muscles need to have the strength to control bones, but our muscles, tendons, and other soft tissue need to be able to lengthen, and our joints need to be able to perform a wide variety of movements.
- Balance — Frequent causes of balance issues are:
A professional physical therapist in Josephville, MO will be able to identify the source of your limitations in mobility and come up with a treatment plan, based on empirical research to improve your movement health. Beyond restorative strength, flexibility, and core exercises, your treatment plan may also include:
- Soft tissue mobilization
- Kinesio Taping®
- Trigger point dry needling
- Blood flow restriction training
- Posture correction and correct posture education
If your doctor and therapy team agree, a physical therapist in Josephville, MO can also fit you for medically accepted assistive devices such as splints, braces, crutches, or canes in order to aid you in your mobility and reduce risk of injury.
How Physical Therapy in Josephville, MO Helps Beyond Mobility
Physical therapy does more than just increase strength and flexibility. Your proven treatment plans:
- Pain relief for both acute and chronic conditions without the need of costly and potentially habit forming prescription drugs
- In some cases, the potential to avoid surgery by motivating your body to heal on its own
- Mobility education, including physical therapy techniques you can do in the comfort of your own home with no risk to injury, injury prevention techniques, and correct posture
- Motivating better physical health, which leads to increased energy, decreases your odds of developing heart disease, helps control weight, improves your mood, and promotes better sleep
Other services we offer in Josephville, MO include:
- Shoulder Pain
- Injury Prevention
- Knee Injury
- Joint Pain
- Dry Needling
- ACL Tear
- Pain Management
- Rotator Cuff Tear
Mobility in Josephville, MO | Axes Physical Therapy
Whether you need hand therapy in order to make it easier for you to type, are in need of meaningful pain management for arthritis, or want to return to your active lifestyle following acute trauma, Axes’ team of licensed physical and occupational therapists will develop and implement the treatment plan that works best for you. We employ a an approach that focuses on personalized treatment. To get back your independence and active lifestyle, request an appointment with Axes Physical Therapy today or find the location that works best for you.