Mobility in Murphy, MO. Our bodies are designed to be on the go. But sometimes, our bodies don’t work the way they should and it prevents us from doing what we love most. While that loss of physical mobility can affect our mental health as well, Axes Physical Therapy in Murphy, MO offers solutions that have been proven to work and that are customized specifically to you, your age, and your desired activity level. Whether your mobility is limited because of an injury, a degenerative condition, or an impairment in your musculoskeletal structure such as sciatica, take the first steps in your best possible movement health and a pain-free daily life as soon as possible by setting up a mobility and injury analysis with Axes today or calling the location nearest you.
The dictionary defines mobility as, “the ability to move… freely and easily.” For some Murphy, MO residents that is as simple as rolling over in bed without pain, while others have more active lifestyle desires like making a diving catch in their softball league. Whatever you need to improve your movement health for, if can’t complete the activities you want to consult with a physician about professional physical therapy services.
Functional Mobility in Murphy, MO
Functional mobility is the capacity one has to safely and efficiently move around in their home environment. This includes anything from rolling over in bed or carrying a cup of coffee to the living room and sitting down. Fundamentally, there are three types of functional mobility:
- Bed mobility — Whether or not you are able to to comfortably move around in bed, including rolling, scooting, sitting up, and lying down.
- Transfers — Your ability to move from one place to another, for example from a chair, bed, or sofa to another.
- Ambulation — Your ability to walk freely without the need of assistance. This also includes walking while being able to carry objects.
If you cannot currently complete some or all of the activities above without a person or assistive device helping you, the Murphy, MO physical and occupational therapists at Axes are devoted to getting your self-sufficiency back. Whether you currently lack full functional mobility as a result of a knee injury, arthritis or other joint pain, or even a central nervous system disorder like Parkinson’s disease, we’ll guide you through your journey to optimal movement health. Most treatment plans include strengthening, balance, and flexibility training. We also offer vestibular therapy for people who have a debilitating vestibular disorder.
Murphy, MO physical therapists often use the Functional Independence Measure (FIM) of seven levels to determine someone’s functional mobility:
- Complete independence, meaning you are able to complete a specified task without assistance and without taking an excessive amount of time
- Modified independence, meaning you can perform specific movements but only with a walker, a cane, or crutches
- Supervision, meaning you can perform the movement independently but need someone to monitor you to prevent risk of injury
- Minimal assistance, meaning you can exert 75% of the work needed to complete the task or more while someone else does the rest
- Moderate assistance, meaning you can exert half of the effort necessary
- Maximal assistance, meaning you can put in a quarter of the work of the task independently
- Total assistance or not testable, meaning you are unable to put in a quarter of the work required, or that the activity is not safe to test
At Axes Physical Therapy in Murphy, MO, your customized treatment plan may include gradually allowing you more and more independence until you get the highest level you can. All of our treatment plans are proven to be safe and effective through extensive clinical studies, and when you and your licensed physical therapist first meet, they will perform a thorough evaluation of your health to confirm that the exercises we use are safe for someone suffering from the same ailment you are.
Beyond Functional Mobility in Murphy, MO
Of course, many of us desire a higher level of movement health than just rolling over in bed without assistance. There are fast breaks to run, your pets to play with, and the vocational tasks you need to perform every day so that you can provide for your Murphy, MO family. At Axes, our occupational and physical therapists can help any athlete, worker, or family member reach the optimal movement health they need to get back to the activities they love. Our services also include:
- Occupational therapy — Our Murphy, MO occupational therapists are crucial to your return to work when an injury or condition limits the mobility needed to to do your hob. We serve as an integral member of your workers’ compensation team so you can get back to contributing to our Murphy, MO community and providing for your family as you want to. Our advanced work rehabilitation includes Functional Capacity Evaluations to ascertain what functional capacities you are capable of.
- Sports therapy — Every athletes worst nightmare is an unexpected fall or collision that keeps them inactive and limited for weeks, months, or longer. Our Murphy, MO physical therapy team knows how to help those who are sidelined because of ACL tears, rotator cuff tears, and a variety of other injuries. Our Certified Athletic Trainers can also educate you on the specifics of injury prevention to help you stay off the sidelines.
- Pre/post surgical rehabilitation — Surgery is a complex and nerve-racking procedure for anyone. Whether your surgery is elective or medically necessary, we’ll team up with the doctors recommending and performing your surgery to help you feel confident in your treatment, and develop a proven plan of action to get the best possible outcome from your procedure.
Whatever the current level of mobility, and lifestyle you are trying to get back to, consult with your Murphy, MO doctor about what physical therapy can do for you, or come see us for a no-obligation injury screening from a clinically experienced physical or occupational therapist.
How a Physical Therapist in Murphy, MO Can Help Improve Your Mobility
The four determinants of mobility are our strength, flexibility, range of motion, and balance:
- Strength — While physical therapy is effective at rebuilding and maintaining strength, it also ensures that no muscle is disproportionately strong or weak. Surrounding our joints with healthy and equally strong muscles is vital to preventing injury and reaching optimal movement health.
- Flexibility and range of motion — To reach the movement health and lifestyle we desire, our muscles, tendons, and other soft tissue need to be able to lengthen so that the joints they control and protect can function at their highest level.
- Balance — Frequent causes of balance issues include:
An experienced physical therapist in Murphy, MO will determine what is causing your limitations in mobility and come up with a treatment plan, based on evidence to improve your movement health. Beyond therapeutic strength, flexibility, and core exercises, We can help you improve your mobility with:
- Soft tissue mobilization
- Kinesio Taping®
- Trigger point dry needling
- Blood flow restriction training
- Posture correction and correct posture education
If necessary, a physical therapist in Murphy, MO can also fit you for medically accepted assistive devices including splints, braces, crutches, or canes in order to aid you in your mobility and reduce risk of injury.
How Physical Therapy in Murphy, MO Helps Beyond Mobility
The benefits of physical therapy go beyond just getting around easier, getting back to work, or getting back on the field. As we work to improve your movement health, you’ll also enjoy:
- Pain relief, whether from an injury or pain that is chronic in nature without needing to depend on painkillers or opioids
- In some cases, the opportunity to avoid surgery by encouraging the body’s natural way of healing itself
- Mobility education, including exercises you can do in the comfort of your own home with no risk to injury, injury prevention techniques, and the best postures for improved mobility
- Encouraging better physical health, which leads to increased energy, decreases your odds of developing cardiovascular disease, contributes to a healthy weight, improves your mood, and encourages your body to get a full 8 hours of sleep
Other services we offer in Murphy, MO include:
- Shoulder Pain
- Injury Prevention
- Knee Injury
- Joint Pain
- Dry Needling
- ACL Tear
- Pain Management
- Rotator Cuff Tear
Mobility in Murphy, MO | Axes Physical Therapy
Whether you need hand therapy in order to make it easier for you to type, are looking for meaningful pain management for arthritis, or need to return to optimal movement health following a devastating injury, Axes’ team of licensed physical and occupational therapists is here to help you get back to the activities you love. We employ a leads to positive patient outcomes. To restore the level of mobility you deserve, request an appointment with Axes Physical Therapy today or reach out to the location nearest for you.