Mobility in Clover Bottom, MO. Our bodies are built to be on the go. But sometimes, our mobility is impeded and it impedes us from doing what we love most. While that loss of physical mobility can affect our mental health as well, Axes Physical Therapy in Clover Bottom, MO offers solutions that have been proven to get results and that are built specifically to getting you back to the life you want to live. Regardless of whether your mobility is limited because of acute trauma, a disease, or a musculoskeletal issue such as sciatica, start on the road back to your best possible movement health and a pain-free daily life as soon as possible by scheduling a mobility and injury analysis with Axes today or calling the the one of our multiple locations nearest you.
The one definition of mobility is, “the ability to move… freely and easily.” For some Clover Bottom, MO residents that looks like rolling over in bed comfortably, while others need to get back to sprinting down the basketball court on a fast break. Whatever it means to you, if can’t complete the activities you want to speak with your doctor about professional physical therapy services.
Functional Mobility in Clover Bottom, MO
Functional mobility refers to a person’s ability to complete daily tasks. This includes simple tasks such as comfortably laying down in bed each night or getting in and out of the shower safely. In general, functional mobility can be broken down into three categories:
- Bed mobility — Your ability to scoot, roll, and get in and out of bed with ease.
- Transfers — Whether or not you are able to switch between surfaces, for example from a chair, bed, or sofa to another.
- Ambulation — If you can walk on your own while having objects in your hands.
While the injury or condition limiting your functional mobility may mean that you currently rely on assistance in order to complete basic tasks, the Clover Bottom, MO physical and occupational therapists at Axes are committed to getting your independence back. Whether the condition affecting you is an ACL tear, arthritis or other joint pain, or even a a progressive disorder like Parkinson’s disease, we’ll create a personalized plan that has been proven to help people like you return to optimal mobility. We will guide you in strengthening, balance, and flexibility movements. We also offer vestibular therapy to help with vestibular disorders that cause dizziness and vertigo.
The seven level Functional Independence Measure (FIM) is the staple of how to determine functional mobility in Clover Bottom, MO:
- Complete independence, meaning you are able to achieve specific mobility thresholds without risk of injury and in a timely manner
- Modified independence, meaning you can perform certain movements but only with an assistive device
- Stand-by assist, meaning you can perform the movement by yourself but need someone standing by for safety
- Minimal assistance, meaning you can exert 75% of the effort needed to complete the task or more while someone else does the rest
- Moderate assistance, meaning you can perform about half of the work needed
- Maximal assistance, meaning you can put in a quarter of the work of the task yourself
- Total assistance or not testable, meaning you can complete less than 25% of the task, or that the activity is not safe to test
At Axes Physical Therapy in Clover Bottom, MO, your tailor-made treatment plan may include gradually taking you up through the seven levels, or at least to the highest level possible. All of our methods are based on what research says can improve your mobility, and your dedicated physical therapist will begin your mobility treatment with a comprehensive examination of your health to ensure that the treatment modalities we use are safe for someone suffering from the same ailment you are.
Beyond Functional Mobility in Clover Bottom, MO
Obviously, simply being to move between chairs pain-free does not define optimal movement health for many of us. There are fast breaks to run, your children to play with, and the occupational tasks of the job you perform every day so that you can put food on the table for your Clover Bottom, MO family. At Axes, our occupational and physical therapists can help any athlete, worker, or family member achieve the activity level they desire. Our services also include:
- Occupational therapy — Our Clover Bottom, MO occupational therapists are an essential part of getting you back to work after a work-related injury. We serve as an integral member of your workers’ compensation team so you can get back to helping our Clover Bottom, MO community and providing for your family as you want to. Our advanced work rehabilitation includes Functional Capacity Evaluations to determine if you can safely go back to work either fully or at some level.
- Sports therapy — The last thing any athlete wants to experience is a sudden pop or crack that keeps them inactive and limited for weeks, months, or longer. Our Clover Bottom, MO physical therapy team knows how to help those who are sidelined because of ACL tears, rotator cuff tears, and a variety of other injuries. Our Certified Athletic Trainers are big believers in teaching injury prevention to help you reduce the risk of having to go through an injury again.
- Pre/post surgical rehabilitation — Surgery makes anyone anxious. Whether your surgery is a matter of choice or a strong recommendation from a physician, we’ll team up with the doctors recommending and performing your surgery to help you feel confident in your treatment, and develop a successful game plan to restore optimal mobility.
Whatever the current level of mobility, and lifestyle you are trying to get back to, consult with your Clover Bottom, MO doctor about whether or not physical therapy is a good option for you, or come see us for a no-obligation injury screening from a licensed physical or occupational therapist.
How a Physical Therapist in Clover Bottom, MO Can Help Improve Your Mobility
Our mobility is based on our strength, flexibility, range of motion, and balance:
- Strength — While physical therapy is effective at rebuilding and maintaining strength, it also helps to make sure no muscle is stronger or weaker than it should be in relation to the muscles around it. Surrounding our joints with healthy and equally strong muscles is vital to preventing injury and reaching optimal movement health.
- Flexibility and range of motion — To achieve optimal movement health, not only do our muscles need to have the strength to control bones, but our muscles, ligaments, and other soft tissue need to be able to lengthen, and our joints need to be able to perform a wide variety of movements.
- Balance — Frequent causes of balance issues include:
A licensed physical therapist in Clover Bottom, MO will determine what is causing your limitations in mobility and come up with a treatment plan, based on evidence to improve your movement health. Beyond therapeutic strength, flexibility, and core exercises, your treatment plan may also include:
- Soft tissue mobilization
- Kinesio Taping®
- Trigger point dry needling
- Blood flow restriction training
- Posture correction and teaching correct posture
If your doctor and therapy team agree, a physical therapist in Clover Bottom, MO can also fit you for medically accepted assistive devices such as splints, braces, crutches, or canes in order to aid you in your mobility and reduce risk of injury.
How Physical Therapy in Clover Bottom, MO Helps Beyond Mobility
Physical therapy does more than just increase strength and flexibility. Your personalized treatment plans:
- Pain relief, whether from an injury or pain that is chronic in nature without having to use prescription medications
- If applicable, the potential to avoid surgery by encouraging the body’s own healing methods
- Mobility education, including physical therapy techniques you can safely do at home, what you can do to prevent injuries, and correct posture
- Encouraging better physical health, carries with it the benefits of enhanced energy, decreases your odds of developing heart disease, helps control weight, makes you feel better, and promotes better sleep
Other services we offer in Clover Bottom, MO include:
- Shoulder Pain
- Injury Prevention
- Knee Injury
- Joint Pain
- Dry Needling
- ACL Tear
- Pain Management
- Rotator Cuff Tear
Mobility in Clover Bottom, MO | Axes Physical Therapy
Whether you are looking for hand therapy in order to make it easier for you to use a computer, are in need of meaningful pain management for sciatica, or want to return to your active lifestyle following acute trauma, Axes’ team of licensed physical and occupational therapists will develop and implement the treatment plan that works best for you. We pride ourselves on our leads to positive patient outcomes. To restore the level of mobility you deserve, request an appointment with Axes Physical Therapy today or reach out to the location nearest for you.