Mobility in Sappington, MO. Our bodies are built to to make walking and other movements easy. But sometimes, we sustain an injury or other condition that keeps us from our favorite activities, or even just being able to carry out or daily live pain-free. While that loss of physical mobility can affect our mental health as well, Axes Physical Therapy in Sappington, MO offers solutions that have been proven to work and that are built specifically to you, your age, and your desired activity level. Whether your mobility limitations are the result of an injury, a disease, or an impairment in your musculoskeletal structure such as sciatica, take the first steps in optimal mobility and meaningful pain relief as soon as possible by requesting a free evaluation with Axes today or calling the the one of our 15 locations nearest you.
The dictionary definition of mobility is, “the ability to move… freely and easily.” For some Sappington, MO residents that may mean rolling over in bed comfortably, while others need to get back to sprinting down the basketball court on a fast break. Whatever it means to you, if your mobility is severely restricted consult with a physician about professional physical therapy and movement health services.
Functional Mobility in Sappington, MO
Functional mobility refers to a person’s ability to complete basic tasks. This can be anything from getting in and out of bed or getting in and out of the shower safely. In general, functional mobility is typically though of in three different ways:
- Bed mobility — Whether or not you can to scoot, roll, and get in and out of bed pain-free.
- Transfers — Your ability to switch between surfaces, for example from a bed to a chair.
- Ambulation — Whether or not you can walk, and can do so while carrying things.
If you currently need assistance to be functionally mobile, the Sappington, MO physical and occupational therapists at Axes are devoted to getting your autonomy back. Whether the condition affecting you is a knee injury, arthritis or other joint pain, or even a central nervous system disorder like Parkinson’s disease, we’ll develop a tailor-made plan that safely and correctly helps you reach the best possible mobility. Most treatment plans include strengthening, balance, and flexibility exercises. We also offer vestibular therapy to help with vestibular disorders that cause dizziness and vertigo.
Sappington, MO physical therapists often utilize the Functional Independence Measure (FIM) of seven levels to assess someone’s functional mobility:
- Complete independence, meaning you can complete a specified task without risk of injury and in a relatively normal amount of time
- Modified independence, meaning you can perform certain movements but only with a walker, a cane, or crutches
- Stand-by assist, meaning you can complete the task by yourself but need someone next to you so you don’t hurt yourself
- Minimal assistance, meaning you can do 75% or more while someone else does the rest
- Moderate assistance, meaning you can perform about 50% of the work needed
- Maximal assistance, meaning you can complete about 25% of the task independently
- Total assistance or not testable, meaning you can complete less than 25% of the task, or that the activity is not safe to test
At Axes Physical Therapy in Sappington, MO, your customized treatment plan may include safely allowing you more and more independence until you get the highest level you can. All of our treatment plans are proven to be safe and effective through extensive clinical studies, and your dedicated physical therapist will begin your mobility treatment with a comprehensive examination of your health to confirm that the treatment modalities we have in mind for you are safe for someone suffering from the same ailment you are.
Beyond Functional Mobility in Sappington, MO
Obviously, many of us desire a higher level of movement health than just rolling over in bed pain-free. There are corners to burn on the football field, fun activities to share with your family, and the vocational tasks you need to perform every day in order to earn a living for your Sappington, MO family. At Axes, we offer comprehensive physical and occupational physical therapy that can help any athlete, worker, or family member reach the optimal movement health they need to get back to the activities they love. We also offer:
- Occupational therapy — Our Sappington, MO occupational therapists are crucial to your return to work when an injury or condition limits the mobility needed to to do your hob. We serve as an integral member of your workers’ compensation team so you can get back to being an integral member of our Sappington, MO community and supporting your family as you want to. Our advanced work rehabilitation includes Functional Capacity Evaluations to ascertain what activity level you can safely carry out.
- Sports therapy — Every athletes worst nightmare is a sudden injury that sidelines them and keeps them from what they love for weeks, months, or longer. Our Sappington, MO physical therapy team knows how to help those who are sidelined because of ACL tears, rotator cuff tears, and a variety of other injuries. Our Certified Athletic Trainers can also educate you on the specifics of injury prevention to help you stay off the sidelines.
- Pre/post surgical rehabilitation — Surgery is a complex and nerve-racking procedure for anyone. Whether your surgery is a matter of choice or a strong recommendation from a physician, we’ll team up with the doctors recommending and performing your surgery to help you feel confident in your treatment, and develop a successful game plan to get the best possible outcome from your procedure.
Whatever the current level of mobility, and the extent to wish you want to improve it, consult with your Sappington, MO doctor about whether they think getting you a prescription for physical therapy is right for you, or visit one of our locations for a free injury screening from a clinically experienced physical or occupational therapist.
How a Physical Therapist in Sappington, MO Can Help Improve Your Mobility
The four determinants of mobility are our strength, flexibility, range of motion, and balance:
- Strength — While physical therapy is effective at rebuilding and maintaining strength, it also helps to make sure no muscle is stronger or weaker than it should be in relation to the muscles around it. Achieving equal muscle balance around joints is vital to preventing injury and reaching optimal movement health.
- Flexibility and range of motion — To reach the movement health and lifestyle we desire, not only do our muscles need to have the strength to control bones, but our muscles, ligaments, and other soft tissue need to be able to lengthen, and our joints need to be able to perform a wide variety of movements.
- Balance — Balance issues are commonly caused by:
An experienced physical therapist in Sappington, MO will determine what is causing your mobility issues and come up with a treatment plan, based on evidence to improve your movement health. Beyond therapeutic strength, flexibility, and core exercises, other evidence-backed techniques may include:
- Soft tissue mobilization
- Kinesio Taping®
- Trigger point dry needling
- Blood flow restriction training
- Posture correction and teaching good posture
If necessary, a physical therapist in Sappington, MO can also create custom medically accepted assistive devices including splints, braces, crutches, or canes in order to best facilitate movement.
How Physical Therapy in Sappington, MO Helps Beyond Mobility
The benefits of physical therapy go beyond just getting around easier, getting back to work, or getting back on the field. As we work to improve your movement health, you’ll also see the following benefits:
- Pain relief, whether from an injury or pain that is chronic in nature without having to use painkillers or opioids
- If applicable, the potential to avoid a surgical procedure by encouraging the body’s natural way of healing itself
- Movement health education, including physical therapy techniques you can safely do at home, what you can do to prevent injuries, and correct posture
- Encouraging better physical health, which leads to enhanced energy, lowers your risk of heart disease, contributes to a healthy weight, makes you feel better, and promotes better sleep
Other services we offer in Sappington, MO include:
- Shoulder Pain
- Injury Prevention
- Knee Injury
- Joint Pain
- Dry Needling
- ACL Tear
- Pain Management
- Rotator Cuff Tear
Mobility in Sappington, MO | Axes Physical Therapy
Whether you need hand therapy in order to make it easier for you to use a computer, are looking for meaningful pain management for joint problems, or want to get back on the field after a sports injury, Axes’ team of licensed physical and occupational therapists is here to help you get back to what you love doing most. We pride ourselves on our client-centered approach. To get back your independence and active lifestyle, request an appointment with Axes Physical Therapy today or reach out to the location nearest for you.