Mobility in Saint Paul, MO. Our bodies are built to to make walking and other movements easy. But sometimes, we sustain an injury or other condition that impedes us from doing what we love most. While experiencing pain and other factors that affect mobility can affect our mental health as well, Axes Physical Therapy in Saint Paul, MO offers treatment plans that have been proven to be successful and that are customized specifically to you, your age, and your desired activity level. No matter if your mobility limitations are the result of an injury, a disease, or an impairment in your musculoskeletal skeleton such as sciatica, take the first steps in your best possible mobility and a pain-free daily life now by requesting a free evaluation with Axes today or calling the location nearest you.
The one definition of mobility is, “the ability to move… freely and easily.” For some Saint Paul, MO residents that looks like rolling over in bed comfortably, while for others it may mean making a diving catch in their softball league. Whatever mobility means to you, if can’t complete the activities you want to consult with your doctor to see if physical therapy is the right choice for you.
Functional Mobility in Saint Paul, MO
Functional mobility is the capacity one has to complete basic tasks. This can be anything from comfortably laying down in bed each night or bringing a cup of coffee to another room and sitting down. In general, there are three types of functional mobility:
- Bed mobility — Your ability to comfortably move around in bed, including rolling, scooting, sitting up, and lying down.
- Transfers — Your ability to switch between places, for example from one chair to another.
- Ambulation — Your ability to walk freely without the need of assistance. This also includes walking while being able to carry objects.
While the injury or condition limiting your functional mobility may mean that you currently rely on assistance in order to operate in your daily life, the Saint Paul, MO physical and occupational therapists at Axes are committed to helping you regain your self-sufficiency. Whether you currently lack full functional mobility because of a knee injury, arthritis or other joint pain, or even a central nervous system disorder like Parkinson’s disease, we’ll guide you through your journey to optimal movement health. Part of your treatment will likely be simple and safe strengthening, balance, and flexibility training. Our therapists are also highly trained in vestibular therapy to help with vestibular disorders that cause dizziness and vertigo.
The seven level Functional Independence Measure (FIM) is the staple of how to determine functional mobility in Saint Paul, MO:
- Complete independence, meaning you can complete a specified task without risk of injury and in a relatively normal amount of time
- Modified independence, meaning you need a device such as crutches to complete the task
- Supervision, meaning you can perform the movement independently but need someone to monitor you to prevent risk of injury
- Minimal assistance, meaning you can do 75% or more while someone else helps you the rest of the way
- Moderate assistance, meaning you can perform about 50% of the work needed
- Maximal assistance, meaning you can complete about 25% of the task without assistance
- Total assistance or not testable, meaning you are unable to put in a quarter of the work required, or that even testing whether or not you can do it is not safe
At Axes Physical Therapy in Saint Paul, MO, your customized treatment plan may include safely taking you from the first level to the highest level possible. All of our methods are proven to be safe and effective through extensive clinical studies, and your dedicated physical therapist will begin your mobility treatment with a thorough examination of your health to confirm that the exercises we use are safe for someone in your exact condition.
Beyond Functional Mobility in Saint Paul, MO
Needless to say, simply rolling over in bed without assistance does not define optimal movement health for many of us. There are pickleball leagues to dominate, fun activities to share with your family, and the job-related tasks you need to perform every day in order to provide for your Saint Paul, MO family. At Axes, our occupational and physical therapists can help any athlete, worker, or family member achieve the activity level they desire. We also offer:
- Occupational therapy — Our Saint Paul, MO occupational therapists are crucial to your return to work when an injury or condition does not allow you to carry out the tasks of your job. We serve as an integral member of your workers’ compensation team so you can get back to helping our Saint Paul, MO community and supporting your family as you want to. Our advanced work rehabilitation includes Functional Capacity Evaluations to ascertain what functional capacities you are capable of.
- Sports therapy — The last thing anyone who loves playing sports wants to experience is a sudden fall or collision that keeps them off the field or court for anywhere from a couple weeks to a year. If you suffer an ACL tear, rotator cuff tear, or other sports injury, Axes Physical Therapy in Saint Paul, MO will help you restore your mobility and get you back on the field or court as soon as is safely possible. Our Certified Athletic Trainers are big believers in teaching injury prevention to help you stay off the sidelines.
- Pre/post surgical rehabilitation — Surgery makes anyone anxious. Whether your surgery is a matter of choice or a strong recommendation from a physician, we’ll work with your physician and surgeons to form a complete surgical team to help you feel confident in your treatment, and develop a proven plan of action to get the best possible outcome from your procedure.
However limited you currently are in your mobility, and the level of movement health you desire, consult with your Saint Paul, MO doctor about whether they think getting you a prescription for physical therapy is right for you, or visit one of our locations for a no-risk, no-obligation injury screening from a licensed physical or occupational therapist.
How a Physical Therapist in Saint Paul, MO Can Help Improve Your Mobility
Our mobility is based on our strength, flexibility, range of motion, and balance:
- Strength — While physical therapy is effective at rebuilding and maintaining strength, it also helps to make sure no muscle is stronger or weaker than it should be in relation to the muscles around it. Surrounding our joints with healthy and equally strong muscles is vital to preventing injury and improving your mobility.
- Flexibility and range of motion — To achieve optimal movement health, not only do our muscles need to have the strength to control bones, but our muscles, tendons, and other soft tissue need to be able to lengthen, and our joints need to be able to perform a wide variety of movements.
- Balance — Frequent causes of balance issues are:
An experienced physical therapist in Saint Paul, MO will determine what is causing your mobility issues and develop a treatment plan, based on evidence to get you back to the lifestyle you enjoy most. In addition to therapeutic strength, flexibility, and core exercises, We can help you improve your mobility with:
- Soft tissue mobilization
- Kinesio Taping®
- Trigger point dry needling
- Blood flow restriction training
- Posture correction and teaching good posture
If necessary, a physical therapist in Saint Paul, MO can also fit you for medically accepted assistive devices including splints, braces, crutches, or canes in order to aid you in your mobility and reduce risk of injury.
How Physical Therapy in Saint Paul, MO Helps Beyond Mobility
Physical therapy does more than just increase strength and flexibility. Your customized treatment plans:
- Pain relief, whether from an injury or pain that is chronic in nature without the need of prescription medications
- Depending on the nature of your mobility limitations, the potential to avoid surgery by motivating your body to heal on its own
- Mobility education, including physical therapy techniques you can safely do at home, what you can do to prevent injuries, and correct posture
- Motivating you to maintain an active lifestyle, which leads to increased energy, lowers your odds of developing heart disease, contributes to a healthy weight, makes you feel better, and encourages your body to get a full 8 hours of sleep
Other services we offer in Saint Paul, MO include:
- Soft Tissue Mobilization
- Post Surgical Rehabilitation
- Shin Splint Treatment
- Direct Access Physical Therapy
- Gait Analysis
- Pelvic Floor Therapy
- Dry Needling Near Me
- Tendonitis Treatment
- Manual Physical Therapy
- Orthopedic Rehab Near Me
Mobility in Saint Paul, MO | Axes Physical Therapy
Whether you need hand therapy in order to make it easier for you to open jars, are looking for meaningful pain management for sciatica, or need to return to optimal movement health following a devastating injury, Axes’ team of licensed physical and occupational therapists is here to help you get back to the activities you love. We take a an approach that focuses on personalized treatment. To get back your independence and active lifestyle, request an appointment with Axes Physical Therapy today or call the location most convenient for you.