Mobility in Mehlville, MO. Our bodies are designed to move. But sometimes, our bodies don’t work the way they should and it impedes us from doing what we love most. While losing your independence because of losing your mobility affects us in more ways than just physically, Axes Physical Therapy in Mehlville, MO can implement solutions that have been proven to be successful and that are customized specifically to you and your needs. Whether your mobility limitations are the result of acute trauma, a disease, or an impairment in your musculoskeletal structure such as sciatica, begin your journey to your best possible movement health and meaningful pain relief now by requesting a free evaluation with Axes today or calling the the one of our multiple locations most convenient for you.
The dictionary definition of mobility is, “the ability to move… freely and easily.” For some people that is as simple as getting in and out of a chair comfortably, while others have more active lifestyle desires like serving an ace on the tennis court. Whatever you need to improve your movement health for, if your mobility is severely restricted consult with a physician about professional physical therapy services.
Functional Mobility in Mehlville, MO
Functional mobility is the capacity one has to safely and efficiently get around their home. This includes anything from rolling over in bed or walking up a flight of stairs. In general, functional mobility can be broken down into three categories:
- Bed mobility — Whether or not you can to scoot, roll, and get in and out of bed comfortably.
- Transfers — Your ability to switch between places, for example from a chair, bed, or sofa to another.
- Ambulation — If you can walk on your own while having objects in your hands.
If you cannot currently complete some or all of the activities above without the aid of a person or assistive device, the Mehlville, MO physical and occupational therapists at Axes are committed to helping you restore your self-sufficiency. Whether your currently limited functional mobility was caused by an ACL tear, arthritis or other joint pain, or even a a progressive disorder like Parkinson’s disease, we’ll implement a tailor-made plan that has been proven to help people like you return to the best possible movement health. Most treatment plans include strengthening, balance, and flexibility movements. We also offer vestibular therapy for people who have a debilitating vestibular disorder.
Mehlville, MO physical therapists often rely on the Functional Independence Measure (FIM) of seven levels to determine someone’s functional mobility:
- Complete independence, meaning you can achieve specific mobility thresholds safely and without taking an excessive amount of time
- Modified independence, meaning you need a device such as crutches to complete the task
- Stand-by assist, meaning you can complete the task independently but need someone close by to prevent risk of injury
- Minimal assistance, meaning you can do 75% or more while someone else does the rest
- Moderate assistance, meaning you can exert 50% of the effort required
- Maximal assistance, meaning you can put in a quarter of the work of the task independently
- Total assistance or not testable, meaning you can complete less than 25% of the task, or that even testing whether or not you can do it is not safe
At Axes Physical Therapy in Mehlville, MO, your customized treatment plan may include safely allowing you more and more independence until you get the highest level you can. All of our treatment plans are based on what research says can improve your mobility, and your dedicated physical therapist will begin your mobility treatment with a comprehensive evaluation of your health to confirm that the exercises we have in mind for you are safe for someone in your exact condition.
Beyond Functional Mobility in Mehlville, MO
Needless to say, many of us desire a higher level of movement health than just being to move between furniture without limitations. There are corners to burn on the football field, your pets to pick up, and the vocational tasks you need to perform every day so that you can provide for your Mehlville, MO family. At Axes, we offer comprehensive physical and occupational physical therapy that can help any individual achieve the activity level they desire. Our services also include:
- Occupational therapy — Our Mehlville, MO occupational therapists are an essential part of getting you back to work after a work-related injury. We team up with you and your physician, insurance carrier, attorney and employer so you can get back to contributing to our Mehlville, MO community and supporting your family the best way you can. Our advanced work rehabilitation includes Functional Capacity Evaluations to ascertain if you are ready to return to your job.
- Sports therapy — The last thing any athlete wants to experience is an unexpected injury that keeps them off the field or court for weeks, months, or longer. Our Mehlville, MO physical therapy team is experienced in helping those who are sidelined because of ACL tears, rotator cuff tears, and a variety of other injuries. Our Certified Athletic Trainers are big believers in teaching injury prevention to help you reduce the risk of having to go through an injury again.
- Pre/post surgical rehabilitation — Surgery is a complex and nerve-racking procedure for anyone. Whether your surgery is elective or medically necessary, we’ll team up with the doctors recommending and performing your surgery to help you feel confident in your treatment, and formulate a successful plan of action to get the best possible outcome from your procedure.
However limited you currently are in your mobility, and the extent to wish you want to improve it, consult with your Mehlville, MO doctor about whether they think getting you a prescription for physical therapy is right for you, or come see us for a no-obligation injury screening from a qualified physical or occupational therapist.
How a Physical Therapist in Mehlville, MO Can Help Improve Your Mobility
Our mobility is based on our strength, flexibility, range of motion, and balance:
- Strength — While physical therapy is effective at rebuilding and maintaining strength, it also ensures that no muscle is disproportionately strong or weak. Having proportionately strong muscles around joints is essential in preventing injury and improving your mobility.
- Flexibility and range of motion — To reach the movement health and lifestyle we desire, not only do our muscles need to have the strength to control bones, but our muscles, tendons, and other soft tissue need to be able to lengthen, and our joints need to be able to perform a wide variety of movements.
- Balance — Frequent causes of balance issues include:
An experienced physical therapist in Mehlville, MO will determine what is causing your mobility issues and come up with a safe and effective treatment plan to get you back to the activities you love. In addition to restorative strength, flexibility, and core exercises, other evidence-backed techniques may include:
- Soft tissue mobilization
- Kinesio Taping®
- Trigger point dry needling
- Blood flow restriction training
- Posture correction and teaching correct posture
If your doctor and therapy team agree, a physical therapist in Mehlville, MO can also fit you for medically accepted assistive devices including splints, braces, crutches, or canes in order to aid you in your mobility and reduce risk of injury.
How Physical Therapy in Mehlville, MO Helps Beyond Mobility
Physical therapy does more than just increase strength and flexibility. As we work to reach optimal movement health, you’ll also enjoy:
- Pain relief, whether from an injury or pain that is chronic in nature without having to use prescription medications
- Depending on the nature of your mobility limitations, the potential to avoid a surgical procedure by motivating your body to heal on its own
- Mobility education, including exercises you can do in the comfort of your own home with no risk to injury, what you can do to prevent injuries, and the best postures for improved mobility
- Encouraging better physical health, which leads to enhanced energy, decreases your odds of developing cardiovascular disease, contributes to a healthy weight, improves your mood, and promotes better sleep
Other services we offer in Mehlville, MO include:
- Shoulder Pain
- Injury Prevention
- Knee Injury
- Joint Pain
- Dry Needling
- ACL Tear
- Pain Management
- Rotator Cuff Tear
Mobility in Mehlville, MO | Axes Physical Therapy
Whether you are looking for hand therapy in order to make it easier for you to do basic everyday things, are in need of meaningful pain management for sciatica, or want to return to your active lifestyle following acute trauma, Axes’ team of licensed physical and occupational therapists is here to help you get back to what you love doing most. We take a an approach that focuses on personalized treatment. To get back your independence and active lifestyle, request an appointment with Axes Physical Therapy today or find the location that works best for you.