Mobility in Labadie, MO. Our bodies are designed to move. But sometimes, we sustain an injury or other condition that keeps us from the activities we love. While losing your independence because of losing your mobility can affect our mental health as well, Axes Physical Therapy in Labadie, MO can provide you with safe, effective, and proven solutions that are built specifically to you, your age, and your desired activity level. Whether your mobility is limited because of an injury, a degenerative condition, or a musculoskeletal issue such as sciatica, take the first steps in optimal movement health and meaningful pain relief as soon as possible by requesting an appointment with Axes today or calling the the one of our multiple locations nearest you.
The dictionary defines mobility as, “the ability to move… freely and easily.” For some Labadie, MO residents that may mean walking up the stairs without pain, while others have more active lifestyle desires like serving an ace on the tennis court. Whatever you need to improve your movement health for, if you can’t live the life you want pain-free consult with your doctor about professional physical therapy services.
Functional Mobility in Labadie, MO
Functional mobility refers to a person’s ability to safely and efficiently move around in their home environment. This can be anything from rolling over in bed or walking up a flight of stairs. In general, functional mobility can be broken down into three categories:
- Bed mobility — Whether or not you can to scoot, roll, and get in and out of bed with ease.
- Transfers — Your ability to move from one surface to a different one, for example from a chair, bed, or sofa to another.
- Ambulation — Your ability to walk freely without the need of assistance. This also includes walking while being able to carry objects.
If you currently need assistance to be functionally mobile, the Labadie, MO physical and occupational therapists at Axes are committed to getting your self-sufficiency back. Whether you currently lack full functional mobility because of a sports injuryan rotator cuff tear tear, arthritis or other joint pain, or even a a progressive disorder like Parkinson’s disease, we’ll implement a tailor-made plan that has been proven to help people like you return to optimal mobility. Part of your treatment will likely be simple and safe strengthening, balance, and flexibility training. We also offer vestibular therapy to help with vestibular disorders that cause dizziness and vertigo.
Labadie, MO physical therapists often rely on the Functional Independence Measure (FIM) of seven levels to determine someone’s functional mobility:
- Complete independence, meaning you can complete a specified task without risk of injury and in a timely manner
- Modified independence, meaning you need a device such as a cane to complete the task
- Stand-by assist, meaning you can perform the movement independently but need someone to monitor you to prevent risk of injury
- Minimal assistance, meaning you can exert 75% of the effort needed to complete the task or more while someone else helps you the rest of the way
- Moderate assistance, meaning you can perform about 50% of the work required
- Maximal assistance, meaning you can complete about 25% of the task yourself
- Total assistance or not testable, meaning you are unable to put in 25% of the effort required, or that even testing whether or not you can do it carries the risk of injury
At Axes Physical Therapy in Labadie, MO, your customized treatment plan may include safely taking you from the first level to the highest level possible. All of our methods are based on what research says works best for you, and your dedicated physical therapist will begin your mobility treatment with a thorough evaluation of your health to confirm that the treatment modalities we have in mind for you are safe for someone suffering from the same ailment you are.
Beyond Functional Mobility in Labadie, MO
To be sure, simply being to move between chairs pain-free does not define optimal movement health for many of us. There are doubles to hit in your softball league, fun activities to share with your family, and the physical demands of the job you carry out every day so that you can put food on the table for your Labadie, MO family. At Axes, we offer comprehensive physical and occupational physical therapy that can help any athlete, worker, or family member achieve the activity level they desire. We also offer:
- Occupational therapy — Our Labadie, MO occupational therapists are an essential part of getting you back to work after a work-related injury. We team up with you and your physician, insurance carrier, workers’ compensation lawyer and employer so you can get back to helping our Labadie, MO community and providing for your family the best way you can. Our advanced work rehabilitation includes Functional Capacity Evaluations to determine if you are ready to return to your job.
- Sports therapy — The last thing any athlete wants to experience is a sudden pop or crack that sidelines them and keeps them from what they love for anywhere from a couple weeks to a year. If you suffer an ACL tear, rotator cuff tear, or other sports injury, Axes Physical Therapy in Labadie, MO will help you regain your mobility and get you back on the field or court as soon as is safely possible. Our Certified Athletic Trainers can also educate you on the specifics of injury prevention to help you reduce the risk of having to go through an injury again.
- Pre/post surgical rehabilitation — Surgery is a complex and nerve-racking procedure for anyone. Whether your surgery is elective or medically necessary, we’ll team up with the doctors recommending and performing your surgery to give you piece of mind, and formulate an effective strategy to get the best possible outcome from your procedure.
Whatever the current level of mobility, and the extent to wish you want to improve it, consult with your Labadie, MO doctor about what physical therapy can do for you, or visit one of our locations for a free injury screening from a licensed physical or occupational therapist.
How a Physical Therapist in Labadie, MO Can Help Improve Your Mobility
The four determinants of mobility are our strength, flexibility, range of motion, and balance:
- Strength — While physical therapy can help rebuild muscle after an injury and slow the weakening of muscles as we age, it also helps achieve muscle balance. Surrounding our joints with healthy and equally strong muscles is imperative in preventing injury and improving your mobility.
- Flexibility and range of motion — To improve our mobility to the highest level we can, not only do our muscles need to have the strength to control bones, but our muscles, tendons, and other soft tissue need to be able to lengthen, and our joints need to be able to perform a wide variety of movements.
- Balance — Problems with balance are typically caused by:
A licensed physical therapist in Labadie, MO will be able to identify the source of your limitations in mobility and come up with a safe and effective treatment plan to improve your movement health. Beyond restorative strength, flexibility, and core exercises, your treatment plan may also include:
- Soft tissue mobilization
- Kinesio Taping®
- Trigger point dry needling
- Blood flow restriction training
- Posture correction and teaching good posture
If your doctor and therapy team agree, a physical therapist in Labadie, MO can also create custom medically accepted assistive devices such as splints, braces, crutches, or canes in order to aid you in your mobility and reduce risk of injury.
How Physical Therapy in Labadie, MO Helps Beyond Mobility
Physical therapy does more than just increase strength and flexibility. As we work to improve your movement health, you’ll also see the following benefits:
- Pain relief for both acute and chronic conditions without having to use painkillers or opioids
- In some cases, the potential to avoid a surgical procedure by encouraging the body’s natural way of healing itself
- Patient education, including exercises you can do in the comfort of your own home with no risk to injury, what you can do to prevent injuries, and the best postures for improved mobility
- Motivating you to maintain an active lifestyle, which leads to enhanced energy, lowers your odds of developing heart disease, contributes to a healthy weight, improves your mood, and promotes better sleep
Other services we offer in Labadie, MO include:
- Soft Tissue Mobilization
- Post Surgical Rehabilitation
- Shin Splint Treatment
- Direct Access Physical Therapy
- Gait Analysis
- Pelvic Floor Therapy
- Dry Needling Near Me
- Tendonitis Treatment
- Manual Physical Therapy
- Orthopedic Rehab Near Me
Mobility in Labadie, MO | Axes Physical Therapy
Whether you are looking for hand therapy in order to make it easier for you to do basic things around the house, are in need of meaningful pain management for sciatica, or want to return to your active lifestyle following acute trauma, Axes’ team of licensed physical and occupational therapists will develop and implement the treatment plan that works best for you. We employ a leads to positive patient outcomes. To restore the level of mobility you deserve, request an appointment with Axes Physical Therapy today or find the location nearest for you.