Mobility in Clearwater, MO. Our bodies are built to to make walking and other movements easy. But sometimes, we sustain an injury or other condition that keeps us from doing what we love most. While losing your independence because of losing your mobility also have an impact on our emotional well-being, Axes Physical Therapy in Clearwater, MO can create treatment plans that have been proven to work and that are tailored specifically to you and your needs. Regardless of whether your mobility is limited because of an injury, a disease, or a musculoskeletal problem such as sciatica, start on the road back to optimal mobility and meaningful pain relief now by setting up an appointment with Axes today or calling the location nearest you.
The one definition of mobility is, “the ability to move… freely and easily.” For some Clearwater, MO residents that is as simple as getting in and out of a chair comfortably, while others have more active lifestyle desires like serving an ace on the tennis court. Whatever mobility means to you, if your mobility is severely restricted consult with a physician to see if physical therapy is the right choice for you.
Functional Mobility in Clearwater, MO
Functional mobility refers to a person’s ability to complete basic tasks. This can be simple tasks such as getting in and out of bed or walking up a flight of stairs. In general, functional mobility can be broken down into three categories:
- Bed mobility — Your ability to scoot, roll, and get in and out of bed with ease.
- Transfers — Whether or not you are able to move from one place to another, for example from one chair to another.
- Ambulation — Whether or not you can walk, and can do so while carrying things.
If you cannot currently complete some or all of the activities above without a person or assistive device helping you, the Clearwater, MO physical and occupational therapists at Axes are dedicated to helping you restore your independence. Whether you currently lack full functional mobility as a result of a knee injury, arthritis or other joint pain, or even a a progressive disorder like Parkinson’s disease, we’ll guide you through your journey to optimal movement health. We will guide you in strengthening, balance, and flexibility exercises. Our therapists are also specialists vestibular therapy to help with vestibular disorders that cause dizziness and vertigo.
Clearwater, MO physical therapists often use the Functional Independence Measure (FIM) of seven levels to assess someone’s functional mobility:
- Complete independence, meaning you are able to complete a specified task without risk of injury and in a timely manner
- Modified independence, meaning you need a device such as crutches to complete the task
- Stand-by assist, meaning you can complete the task by yourself but need someone to monitor you to prevent risk of injury
- Minimal assistance, meaning you can exert 75% of the effort needed to complete the task or more while a physical therapist helps you the rest of the way
- Moderate assistance, meaning you can perform about half of the work required
- Maximal assistance, meaning you can put in a quarter of the work of the task without assistance
- Total assistance or not testable, meaning you can complete less than 25% of the task, or that even testing whether or not you can do it carries the risk of injury
At Axes Physical Therapy in Clearwater, MO, your tailor-made treatment plan may include safely allowing you more and more independence until you get the highest level you can. All of our methods are proven to be safe and effective through extensive clinical studies, and your dedicated physical therapist will begin your mobility treatment with a comprehensive evaluation of your health to confirm that the treatment modalities we have in mind for you are safe for someone in your exact condition.
Beyond Functional Mobility in Clearwater, MO
To be sure, many of us desire a higher level of movement health than just being to move between furniture without assistance. There are pickleball leagues to dominate, your pets to pick up, and the vocational tasks you need to perform every day in order to put food on the table for your Clearwater, MO family. At Axes, we offer comprehensive physical and occupational physical therapy that can help any individual improve mobility they need to get back to the activities they love. Our services also include:
- Occupational therapy — Our Clearwater, MO occupational therapists are an essential part of getting you back to work after a work-related injury. We serve as an integral member of your workers’ compensation team so you can get back to being an integral member of our Clearwater, MO community and providing for your family as you always have. Our advanced work rehabilitation includes Functional Capacity Evaluations to ascertain what functional capacities you are capable of.
- Sports therapy — Every athletes worst nightmare is a sudden fall or collision that keeps them inactive and limited for anywhere from a couple weeks to a year. Our Clearwater, MO physical therapy team is experienced in helping those who are sidelined because of ACL tears, rotator cuff tears, and a variety of other injuries. Our Certified Athletic Trainers can also educate you on the specifics of injury prevention to help you reduce the risk of having to go through an injury again.
- Pre/post surgical rehabilitation — Surgery makes anyone anxious. Whether your surgery is elective or medically necessary, we’ll team up with the doctors recommending and performing your surgery to help you feel confident in your treatment, and develop a successful strategy to get the best possible outcome from your procedure.
Whatever the current level of mobility, and the extent to wish you want to improve it, consult with your Clearwater, MO doctor about whether they think getting you a prescription for physical therapy is right for you, or come see us for a no-risk, no-obligation injury screening from a professional physical or occupational therapist.
How a Physical Therapist in Clearwater, MO Can Help Improve Your Mobility
The four determinants of mobility are our strength, flexibility, range of motion, and balance:
- Strength — While physical therapy can help rebuild muscle after an injury and slow the weakening of muscles as we age, it also helps to make sure no muscle is stronger or weaker than it should be in relation to the muscles around it. Surrounding our joints with healthy and equally strong muscles is imperative in preventing injury and reaching optimal movement health.
- Flexibility and range of motion — To achieve optimal movement health, our muscles, tendons, and other soft tissue need to be able to lengthen so that the joints they control and protect can function at their highest level.
- Balance — Frequent causes of balance issues include:
A professional physical therapist in Clearwater, MO will find the root of your mobility issues and come up with a safe and effective treatment plan to improve your movement health. Beyond therapeutic strength, flexibility, and core exercises, your treatment plan may also include:
- Soft tissue mobilization
- Kinesio Taping®
- Trigger point dry needling
- Blood flow restriction training
- Posture correction and good posture education
If required, a physical therapist in Clearwater, MO can also create custom medically accepted assistive devices including splints, braces, crutches, or canes in order to help you achieve the best possible mobility.
How Physical Therapy in Clearwater, MO Helps Beyond Mobility
The benefits of physical therapy go beyond just getting around easier, getting back to work, or getting back on the field. As we work to improve your movement health, you’ll also see the following benefits:
- Pain relief, whether from an injury or pain that is chronic in nature without having to use costly and potentially habit forming prescription drugs
- Depending on the nature of your mobility limitations, the opportunity to avoid a surgical procedure by motivating your body to heal on its own
- Movement health education, including physical therapy techniques you can safely do at home, injury prevention techniques, and correct posture
- Motivating you to maintain an active lifestyle, which leads to enhanced energy, lowers your risk of cardiovascular disease, contributes to a healthy weight, improves your mood, and promotes better sleep
Other services we offer in Clearwater, MO include:
- Soft Tissue Mobilization
- Post Surgical Rehabilitation
- Shin Splint Treatment
- Direct Access Physical Therapy
- Gait Analysis
- Pelvic Floor Therapy
- Dry Needling Near Me
- Tendonitis Treatment
- Manual Physical Therapy
- Orthopedic Rehab Near Me
Mobility in Clearwater, MO | Axes Physical Therapy
Whether you need hand therapy in order to make it easier for you to do basic things around the house, are looking for meaningful pain management for joint problems, or need to return to optimal movement health following a devastating injury, Axes’ team of licensed physical and occupational therapists will develop and implement the treatment plan that works best for you. We take a client-centered approach. To get back your independence and active lifestyle, request an appointment with Axes Physical Therapy today or call the location that works best for you.