Mobility in Woodhine Heights, MO. Our bodies are built to move. But sometimes, our bodies don’t work the way they should and it keeps us from our favorite activities, or even just being able to carry out or daily live comfortably. While experiencing pain and other factors that affect mobility can affect our mental health as well, Axes Physical Therapy in Woodhine Heights, MO can develop solutions that have been proven to be successful and that are tailored specifically to you and your needs. No matter if your mobility is limited because of acute trauma, a disease, or a musculoskeletal problem such as sciatica, take the first steps in optimal movement health and comfort now by requesting a free evaluation with Axes today or calling the location nearest you.
The one definition of mobility is, “the ability to move… freely and easily.” For some people that is as simple as rolling over in bed without pain, while others have more active lifestyle desires like sprinting down the basketball court on a fast break. Whatever mobility means to you, if can’t complete the activities you want to speak with a physician about professional physical therapy and movement health services.
Functional Mobility in Woodhine Heights, MO
Functional mobility refers to a person’s ability to complete basic tasks. This can be anything from getting in and out of bed or getting in and out of the shower safely. Fundamentally, there are three types of functional mobility:
- Bed mobility — Whether or not you are able to to scoot, roll, and get in and out of bed pain-free.
- Transfers — Your ability to switch between surfaces, for example from a chair, bed, or sofa to another.
- Ambulation — Your ability to walk freely without the need of assistance. This also includes walking while being able to carry objects.
If you currently need assistance to be functionally mobile, the Woodhine Heights, MO physical and occupational therapists at Axes are dedicated to getting your autonomy back. Whether you currently lack full functional mobility because of a knee injury, arthritis or other joint pain, or even a a progressive disorder like Parkinson’s disease, we’ll create a customized plan that safely and correctly helps you reach optimal movement health. Most treatment plans include strengthening, balance, and flexibility exercises. We also offer vestibular therapy for people who have a debilitating vestibular disorder.
The seven level Functional Independence Measure (FIM) is the main way to evaluate functional mobility in Woodhine Heights, MO:
- Complete independence, meaning you can complete a specified task without risk of injury and in a relatively normal amount of time
- Modified independence, meaning you can perform certain movements but only with a walker, a cane, or crutches
- Supervision, meaning you can perform the movement independently but need someone to monitor you to prevent risk of injury
- Minimal assistance, meaning you can exert 75% of the work needed to complete the task or more while someone else helps you the rest of the way
- Moderate assistance, meaning you can exert 50% of the effort required
- Maximal assistance, meaning you can put in a quarter of the work of the task without assistance
- Total assistance or not testable, meaning you can complete less than 25% of the task, or that even testing whether or not you can do it could lead to you becoming hurt
At Axes Physical Therapy in Woodhine Heights, MO, your personalized treatment plan may include safely allowing you more and more independence until you get the highest level you can. All of our methods are based on what research says works best for you, and your dedicated physical therapist will begin your mobility treatment with a comprehensive evaluation of your health to ensure that the treatment modalities we use are safe for someone suffering from the same ailment you are.
Beyond Functional Mobility in Woodhine Heights, MO
Of course, many of us desire a higher level of movement health than just rolling over in bed without assistance. There are pickleball leagues to dominate, your pets to play with, and the physical demands of the job you carry out every day so that you can earn a living for your Woodhine Heights, MO family. At Axes, our occupational and physical therapists can help any individual achieve the activity level they desire. Our services also include:
- Occupational therapy — Our Woodhine Heights, MO occupational therapists are an essential part of getting you back to work after a work-related injury. We serve as an integral member of your workers’ compensation team so you can get back to contributing to our Woodhine Heights, MO community and providing for your family as you always have. Our advanced work rehabilitation includes Functional Capacity Evaluations to determine if you are ready to return to your job.
- Sports therapy — Every athletes worst nightmare is an unexpected pop or crack that keeps them inactive and limited for weeks, months, or longer. If you suffer an ACL tear, rotator cuff tear, or other sports injury, Axes Physical Therapy in Woodhine Heights, MO will help you regain your mobility and get you back on the field or court as soon as is safely possible. Our Certified Athletic Trainers also specialize in injury prevention to help you avoid re-injury.
- Pre/post surgical rehabilitation — Surgery makes anyone anxious. Whether your surgery is elective or medically necessary, we’ll team up with the doctors recommending and performing your surgery to help you feel confident in your treatment, and formulate an effective game plan to restore optimal mobility.
Whatever the current level of mobility, and the extent to wish you want to improve it, consult with your Woodhine Heights, MO doctor about whether they think getting you a prescription for physical therapy is right for you, or come see us for a no-obligation injury screening from a qualified physical or occupational therapist.
How a Physical Therapist in Woodhine Heights, MO Can Help Improve Your Mobility
Our mobility is based on our strength, flexibility, range of motion, and balance:
- Strength — While physical therapy can help rebuild muscle after an injury and slow the weakening of muscles as we age, it also ensures that no muscle is disproportionately strong or weak. Surrounding our joints with healthy and equally strong muscles is vital to preventing injury and reaching optimal movement health.
- Flexibility and range of motion — To reach the movement health and lifestyle we desire, our muscles, tendons, and other soft tissue need to be able to lengthen so that the joints they control and protect can function at their highest level.
- Balance — Frequent causes of balance issues are:
A clinically experienced physical therapist in Woodhine Heights, MO will find the root of your limitations in mobility and develop a safe and effective treatment plan to improve your movement health. Beyond therapeutic strength, flexibility, and core exercises, your treatment plan may also include:
- Soft tissue mobilization
- Kinesio Taping®
- Trigger point dry needling
- Blood flow restriction training
- Posture correction and correct posture education
If necessary, a physical therapist in Woodhine Heights, MO can also create custom medically accepted assistive devices including splints, braces, crutches, or canes in order to aid you in your mobility and reduce risk of injury.
How Physical Therapy in Woodhine Heights, MO Helps Beyond Mobility
Physical therapy does more than just increase mobility. As we work to reach optimal movement health, you’ll also see the following benefits:
- Pain relief for both acute and chronic conditions without needing to depend on prescription medications
- In some cases, the potential to avoid a surgical procedure by motivating your body to heal on its own
- Movement health education, including physical therapy techniques you can do in the comfort of your own home with no risk to injury, injury prevention techniques, and correct posture
- Motivating you to maintain an active lifestyle, which leads to increased energy, decreases your odds of developing cardiovascular disease, helps control weight, makes you feel better, and encourages your body to get a full 8 hours of sleep
Other services we offer in Woodhine Heights, MO include:
- Shoulder Pain
- Injury Prevention
- Knee Injury
- Joint Pain
- Dry Needling
- ACL Tear
- Pain Management
- Rotator Cuff Tear
Mobility in Woodhine Heights, MO | Axes Physical Therapy
Whether you need hand therapy in order to make it easier for you to open jars, are in need of meaningful pain management for joint problems, or want to get back on the field after a sports injury, Axes’ team of licensed physical and occupational therapists is here to help you get back to what you love doing most. We practice a leads to positive patient outcomes. To restore the level of mobility you deserve, request an appointment with Axes Physical Therapy today or call the location that works best for you.