Mobility in New Melle, MO. Our bodies are designed to to make walking and other movements easy. But sometimes, we sustain an injury or other condition that impedes us from the activities we love. While that loss of physical mobility can affect our mental health as well, Axes Physical Therapy in New Melle, MO can create treatment plans that have been proven to get results and that are built specifically to getting you back to the life you want to live. Regardless of whether your mobility is limited because of acute trauma, a degenerative condition, or a musculoskeletal problem such as sciatica, begin your journey to your best possible movement health and a pain-free daily life now by scheduling an appointment with Axes today or calling the the one of our 15 locations most convenient for you.
The dictionary definition of mobility is, “the ability to move… freely and easily.” For some people that is as simple as rolling over in bed comfortably, while others have more active lifestyle desires like serving an ace on the tennis court. Whatever you need to improve your movement health for, if you can’t live the life you want comfortable speak with a physician to see if physical therapy is the right choice for you.
Functional Mobility in New Melle, MO
Functional mobility is the capacity one has to complete basic tasks. This can be anything from moving around in bed or getting in and out of the shower safely. Fundamentally, functional mobility can be broken down into three categories:
- Bed mobility — Your ability to scoot, roll, and get in and out of bed with ease.
- Transfers — Your ability to switch between places, for example from a chair, bed, or sofa to another.
- Ambulation — If you can walk on your own while having objects in your hands.
If you cannot currently complete some or all of the tasks above without the aid of a person or assistive device, the New Melle, MO physical and occupational therapists at Axes are committed to helping you restore your independence. Whether the condition affecting you is a sports injuryan rotator cuff tear tear, arthritis or other joint pain, or even a a progressive disorder like Parkinson’s disease, we’ll guide you through your journey to optimal movement health. Part of your treatment will likely be simple and safe strengthening, balance, and flexibility movements. Our therapists are also specialists vestibular therapy for people who have a debilitating vestibular disorder.
The seven level Functional Independence Measure (FIM) is the staple of how to determine functional mobility in New Melle, MO:
- Complete independence, meaning you are able to complete a specified task without risk of injury and in a relatively normal amount of time
- Modified independence, meaning you need a device such as a walker to complete the task
- Stand-by assist, meaning you can complete the task independently but need someone standing by to prevent risk of injury
- Minimal assistance, meaning you can exert 75% of the effort needed to complete the task or more while someone else does the rest
- Moderate assistance, meaning you can exert 50% of the effort required
- Maximal assistance, meaning you can complete about 25% of the task independently
- Total assistance or not testable, meaning you can complete less than 25% of the task, or that even testing whether or not you can do it is not safe
At Axes Physical Therapy in New Melle, MO, your personalized treatment plan may include safely taking you up through the seven levels, or at least to the highest level you are able to achieve. All of our methods are proven to be safe and effective through extensive clinical studies, and when you and your licensed physical therapist first meet, they will perform a comprehensive evaluation of your health to confirm that the treatment modalities we have in mind for you are safe for someone suffering from the same ailment you are.
Beyond Functional Mobility in New Melle, MO
Of course, many of us desire a higher level of movement health than just being to move between furniture independently. There are pickleball leagues to dominate, fun activities to share with your family, and the job-related tasks you need to perform every day in order to earn a living for your New Melle, MO family. At Axes, we offer comprehensive physical and occupational physical therapy that can help any individual improve mobility they need to get back to the activities they love. We also offer:
- Occupational therapy — Our New Melle, MO occupational therapists are an essential part of getting you back to work after a work-related injury. We serve as an integral member of your workers’ compensation team so you can get back to helping our New Melle, MO community and supporting your family the best way you can. Our advanced work rehabilitation includes Functional Capacity Evaluations to determine if you can safely go back to work either fully or at some level.
- Sports therapy — Every athletes worst nightmare is a sudden injury that keeps them inactive and limited for anywhere from a couple weeks to a year. Our New Melle, MO physical therapy team knows how to help those who are sidelined because of ACL tears, rotator cuff tears, and a variety of other injuries. Our Certified Athletic Trainers also specialize in injury prevention to help you reduce the risk of having to go through an injury again.
- Pre/post surgical rehabilitation — Surgery makes anyone anxious. Whether your surgery is a matter of choice or a strong recommendation from a physician, we’ll team up with the doctors recommending and performing your surgery to give you piece of mind, and formulate a proven strategy to restore optimal mobility.
However limited you currently are in your mobility, and the level of movement health you desire, consult with your New Melle, MO doctor about whether they think getting you a prescription for physical therapy is right for you, or come see us for a no-obligation injury screening from a qualified physical or occupational therapist.
How a Physical Therapist in New Melle, MO Can Help Improve Your Mobility
Our mobility is based on our strength, flexibility, range of motion, and balance:
- Strength — While physical therapy can help rebuild muscle after an injury and slow the weakening of muscles as we age, it also ensures that no muscle is disproportionately strong or weak. Having equal muscle balance around joints is crucial in preventing injury and reaching optimal movement health.
- Flexibility and range of motion — To achieve optimal movement health, not only do our muscles need to have the strength to control bones, but our muscles, ligaments, and other soft tissue need to be able to lengthen, and our joints need to be able to perform a wide variety of movements.
- Balance — Frequent causes of balance issues are:
An experienced physical therapist in New Melle, MO will find the root of your limitations in mobility and develop a safe and effective treatment plan to get you back to the lifestyle you enjoy most. Beyond restorative strength, flexibility, and core exercises, other evidence-backed techniques may include:
- Soft tissue mobilization
- Kinesio Taping®
- Trigger point dry needling
- Blood flow restriction training
- Posture correction and teaching correct posture
If necessary, a physical therapist in New Melle, MO can also create custom medically accepted assistive devices such as splints, braces, crutches, or canes in order to help you achieve the best possible mobility.
How Physical Therapy in New Melle, MO Helps Beyond Mobility
The benefits of physical therapy go beyond just getting around easier, getting back to work, or getting back on the field. Your personalized treatment plans:
- Pain relief, whether from an injury or pain that is chronic in nature without having to use costly and potentially habit forming prescription drugs
- If applicable, the potential to avoid a surgical procedure by motivating your body to heal on its own
- Mobility education, including exercises you can do in the comfort of your own home with no risk to injury, what you can do to prevent injuries, and the best postures for improved mobility
- Motivating better physical health, which leads to increased energy, decreases your odds of developing cardiovascular disease, helps control weight, makes you feel better, and promotes better sleep
Other services we offer in New Melle, MO include:
- Shoulder Pain
- Injury Prevention
- Knee Injury
- Joint Pain
- Dry Needling
- ACL Tear
- Pain Management
- Rotator Cuff Tear
Mobility in New Melle, MO | Axes Physical Therapy
Whether you are looking for hand therapy in order to make it easier for you to write, are in need of meaningful pain management for joint problems, or want to return to your active lifestyle following acute trauma, Axes’ team of licensed physical and occupational therapists will develop and implement the treatment plan that is safe and affective. We pride ourselves on our client-centered approach. To get back your independence and active lifestyle, request an appointment with Axes Physical Therapy today or call the location most convenient for you.