Mobility in Affton, MO. Our bodies are meant to be on the go. But sometimes, our mobility is impeded and it keeps us from our favorite activities, or even just being able to carry out or daily live pain-free. While losing your independence because of losing your mobility affects us in more ways than just physically, Axes Physical Therapy in Affton, MO can implement treatment plans that have been proven to work and that are customized specifically to you and your needs. No matter if your mobility limitations are the result of acute trauma, a degenerative condition, or an impairment in your musculoskeletal structure such as sciatica, start on the road back to optimal mobility and comfort now by scheduling an appointment with Axes today or calling the location nearest you.
The dictionary definition of mobility is, “the ability to move… freely and easily.” For some Affton, MO residents that is as simple as picking up their kids without pain, while for others it may mean sprinting down the basketball court on a fast break. Whatever mobility means to you, if your mobility is severely restricted consult with a physician about professional physical therapy services.
Functional Mobility in Affton, MO
Functional mobility refers to a person’s ability to complete daily tasks. This includes anything from getting in and out of bed or walking up a flight of stairs. Fundamentally, functional mobility is typically though of in three different ways:
- Bed mobility — Your ability to scoot, roll, and get in and out of bed with ease.
- Transfers — Whether or not you are able to switch between surfaces, for example from one chair to another.
- Ambulation — Whether or not you can walk, and can do so while carrying things.
While the injury or condition limiting your functional mobility may mean that you currently rely on assistance in order to operate in your daily life, the Affton, MO physical and occupational therapists at Axes are committed to getting your self-sufficiency back. Whether your currently limited functional mobility was caused by a knee injury, arthritis or other joint pain, or even a central nervous system disorder like Parkinson’s disease, we’ll guide you through your journey to optimal movement health. Most treatment plans include strengthening, balance, and flexibility movements. Our therapists are also experts vestibular therapy for people who have a debilitating vestibular disorder.
The seven level Functional Independence Measure (FIM) is the main way to determine functional mobility in Affton, MO:
- Complete independence, meaning you can achieve specific mobility thresholds without risk of injury and in a relatively normal amount of time
- Modified independence, meaning you need a device such as a cane to complete the task
- Supervision, meaning you can complete the task independently but need someone close by to prevent risk of injury
- Minimal assistance, meaning you can do 75% or more while someone else does the rest
- Moderate assistance, meaning you can exert 50% of the effort needed
- Maximal assistance, meaning you can complete about 25% of the task without assistance
- Total assistance or not testable, meaning you can complete less than 25% of the task, or that the activity is not safe to test
At Axes Physical Therapy in Affton, MO, your customized treatment plan may include safely taking you from the first level to the highest level you are able to achieve. All of our treatment plans are based on what research says works best for you, and your dedicated physical therapist will begin your mobility treatment with a comprehensive examination of your health to ensure that the treatment modalities we have in mind for you are safe for someone suffering from the same ailment you are.
Beyond Functional Mobility in Affton, MO
Of course, simply being to move between chairs pain-free does not define optimal movement health for many of us. There are corners to burn on the football field, fun activities to share with your family, and the vocational tasks you need to perform every day in order to put food on the table for your Affton, MO family. At Axes, we offer comprehensive physical and occupational physical therapy that can help any individual reach the optimal movement health they need to get back to the activities they love. We also offer:
- Occupational therapy — Our Affton, MO occupational therapists are an essential part of getting you back to work after a work-related injury. We team up with you and your physician, insurance carrier, workers’ compensation lawyer and employer so you can get back to contributing to our Affton, MO community and supporting your family as you always have. Our advanced work rehabilitation includes Functional Capacity Evaluations to ascertain what functional capacities you are capable of.
- Sports therapy — The worst-case scenario for any athlete is an unexpected injury that keeps them off the field or court for weeks, months, or longer. If you suffer an ACL tear, rotator cuff tear, or other sports injury, Axes Physical Therapy in Affton, MO will help you regain your mobility and get you back on the field or court as soon as is safely possible. Our Certified Athletic Trainers also specialize in injury prevention to help you stay off the sidelines.
- Pre/post surgical rehabilitation — Surgery is a complex and nerve-racking procedure for anyone. Whether your surgery is elective or medically necessary, we’ll team up with the doctors recommending and performing your surgery to help you feel confident in your treatment, and formulate a successful plan of action to restore optimal mobility.
Whatever the current level of mobility, and lifestyle you are trying to get back to, consult with your Affton, MO doctor about whether or not physical therapy is a good option for you, or visit one of our locations for a no-risk, no-obligation injury screening from a professional physical or occupational therapist.
How a Physical Therapist in Affton, MO Can Help Improve Your Mobility
Our mobility is based on our strength, flexibility, range of motion, and balance:
- Strength — While physical therapy is effective at rebuilding and maintaining strength, it also helps to make sure no muscle is stronger or weaker than it should be in relation to the muscles around it. Surrounding our joints with healthy and equally strong muscles is essential in preventing injury and improving your mobility.
- Flexibility and range of motion — To achieve optimal movement health, our muscles, ligaments, and other soft tissue need to be able to lengthen so that the joints they control and protect can function at their highest level.
- Balance — Balance issues are typically caused by:
- Problems with vision
- A vestibular disorder, or a problem in your inner ear
- Your proprioceptive system, the receptors in our muscles that monitor length, tension, pressure and noxious stimuli
A clinically experienced physical therapist in Affton, MO will be able to identify the source of your limitations in mobility and develop a treatment plan, based on empirical research to improve your movement health. Beyond therapeutic strength, flexibility, and core exercises, your treatment plan may also include:
- Soft tissue mobilization
- Kinesio Taping®
- Trigger point dry needling
- Blood flow restriction training
- Posture correction and good posture education
If necessary, a physical therapist in Affton, MO can also mold your very own medically accepted assistive devices such as splints, braces, crutches, or canes in order to help you achieve the best possible mobility.
How Physical Therapy in Affton, MO Helps Beyond Mobility
Physical therapy does more than just increase mobility. Your customized treatment plans:
- Pain relief for both acute and chronic conditions without needing to depend on painkillers or opioids
- If applicable, the opportunity to avoid a surgical procedure by motivating your body to heal on its own
- Mobility education, including exercises you can safely do at home, what you can do to prevent injuries, and correct posture
- Encouraging you to maintain an active lifestyle, which leads to enhanced energy, decreases your odds of developing cardiovascular disease, helps control weight, makes you feel better, and promotes better sleep
Other services we offer in Affton, MO include:
- Dry Needling Near Me
- Tendonitis Treatment
- Manual Physical Therapy
- Orthopedic Rehab Near Me
- Beginner Running Program
- Chronic Pain Treatment
- Spine Specialist Near Me
- MCL Injury
- Shoulder Pain
- Injury Prevention
Mobility in Affton, MO | Axes Physical Therapy
Whether you need hand therapy in order to make it easier for you to write, are in need of meaningful pain management for joint problems, or want to return to your active lifestyle following acute trauma, Axes’ team of licensed physical and occupational therapists will develop and implement the treatment plan that is safe and affective. We practice a client-centered approach. To get back your independence and active lifestyle, request an appointment with Axes Physical Therapy today or call the location nearest for you.